Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear Alignment Problem FAQ

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    All good points.

I was settled in choosing the Mirage for my next car and was confident I could manage the rear axle problem one way or another.

I didn't want the rear axle alignment issue to stop me from getting one, knowing it could be replaced under warranty.

Everyone has their own concerns to manage during the car buying process, and it can be fraught with emotion. I saw a clear path forward through any alignment problems, and I can thank the members of this forum for that knowledge.

Again, thanks all!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (11-09-2017)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    My dealer will not check the alignment prior to me signing paperwork. t
    The salesman says his boss does not want to "pay" to have it looked at, it has a warranty, if there is a problem, get it fixed.

This is disconcerting that I need to buy it to have it looked at.

They also would not replace the battery (car has been sitting, it flicked the entire test drive idling and lights dimming). Not until I sign the paperwork.

I don't know about you, but I want to know it runs right "before" buying?

Thoughts?

(edited to add: should I take it to an alignment shop on a test drive once they add a battery, they said they would at least do this, now... perhaps they will allow this before I sing the dotted line and hand over a fat check)
    Last edited by djkenny; 11-11-2017 at 06:13 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Honestly the whole alignment things a double edge sword. My tires are not wearing funny and my steering wheels straight. So even though "it's free!" i never went and had my car aligned, or checked, because i don't need or want some punk working on my car. I have hard time believing most techs "care" so if they chip your undercoating, grind the paint away in that one spot or ruin your bushings because they hammered the bolts thru... It gets swept under the rug.

Make sure the axle is correct from the factory and get the battery replaced before you sign a single thing. If it's not go find a car with a straight axle. My 2c

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djkenny View Post
    My dealer will not check the alignment prior to me signing paperwork. The salesman says his boss does not want to "pay" to have it looked at, it has a warranty, if there is a problem, get it fixed.
    If the dealer is OK with you taking it to a private shop for an alignment...that's the BEST situation you could have. A private shop will have no incentive to fudge the numbers. And if you're lucky, the shop may not charge you just to check the alignment. I had a shop check mine twice for free before I had 700 miles on the odometer. Even if it costs you a few bucks, it is money well spent!

Even if the dealer said they aligned my car, the first thing I would do is take it to a private shop for a second opinion.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My dealer will not check the alignment prior to me signing paperwork. t
    The salesman says his boss does not want to "pay" to have it looked at, it has a warranty, if there is a problem, get it fixed.

This is disconcerting that I need to buy it to have it looked at.

They also would not replace the battery (car has been sitting, it flicked the entire test drive idling and lights dimming). Not until I sign the paperwork.

I don't know about you, but I want to know it runs right "before" buying?

Thoughts?

(edited to add: should I take it to an alignment shop on a test drive once they add a battery, they said they would at least do this, now... perhaps they will allow this before I sing the dotted line and hand over a fat check)
    The potential rear axle alignment problem can be taken care of by an amiable dealer.

A potential rear axle problem along with an electrical problem changes the equation.

A potential rear axle problem with an electrical problem with a dealer already pushing back? Sorry.

Either take your business elsewhere or check in with Mitsubishi Motors North America.

Just my two cents.

This is a problem I see with asking (demanding?) alignment checks before purchase. From the perspective of some dealers, they don't want the hassle of what they would see as a picky customer - they just want to make a sale and not be told how to do their job.

Now I'm not saying it's right! Not at all. I'm only trying to see it from the other side of the desk.

The whole situation fosters a contentious relationship rather than one of cooperation.

I say start over somewhere else, or with another salesperson. Negotiate by phone. There's other dealers out there who want the business.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    The potential rear axle alignment problem can be taken care of by an amiable dealer.

A potential rear axle problem along with an electrical problem changes the equation.

A potential rear axle problem with an electrical problem with a dealer already pushing back? Sorry.

Either take your business elsewhere or check in with Mitsubishi Motors North America.

Just my two cents.

This is a problem I see with asking (demanding?) alignment checks before purchase. From the perspective of some dealers, they don't want the hassle of what they would see as a picky customer - they just want to make a sale and not be told how to do their job.

Now I'm not saying it's right! Not at all. I'm only trying to see it from the other side of the desk.

The whole situation fosters a contentious relationship rather than one of cooperation.

I say start over somewhere else, or with another salesperson. Negotiate by phone. There's other dealers out there who want the business.
    So what is one really to Do? Trouble is, it is the right price. Color may not be my favorite, but the right model left over from this year. No other dealers around unless over 100 miles away with similar model, and a good $600+ more.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    So what is one really to Do?
    If you're really satisfied with the car and the deal, then go for it. Chances are good your rear axle will be OK. Just do yourself a favor and have the alignment checked...because the front end is probably out of spec based on what people have posted here.

It sounds like you may not be completely happy with your selection (not your favorite color?). Depending on how picky you are, that's a big deal. You're going to be living with this car for years...so just be sure it's exactly what you want. If it's not...keep looking. Personally I'd pay $600 more for another car if it was my preferred color.

I bought from an out-of-state dealer 300+ miles away from me just so my car wouldn't have holes drilled in the front bumper for a license plate bracket. So going to a dealer 100+ miles away for the ideal car doesn't sound like a big deal.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Call the other dealer

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    Call the other dealer
    I have a feeling that if I do not get this car, I will likely just skip getting one. I want a specific trim with 5 speed manual. None left. Baby on the way any min, I am not traveling for a remaining 5 speed hatch heavily discounted. Maybe a Kia Soul will happen.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Baby on the way any min
    Congratulations!

I hope the dealer isn't taking advantage of your situation! Sorry this hasn't been working out for you. As a Mirage owner and enthusiast, I sing high praises of these affordable, reliable cars. In the end, you need a car you can be comfortable with as I'm sure you don't want to bring any more headaches into your world, and allow you to focus on your family.

Many forum members here have had thousands of worry-free miles from their Mirage. I'm sure there are some out there with problems that aren't active here. For some, the Mirage doesn't work - too small, not enough this or that. I get it - the Mirage isn't for everyone.

I think you've been on the forum enough to get a sense of what's a reasonable price for a Mirage.

You'll know the right car for you when it comes along. Here's wishing you and your family all the best. Let us know what we can do to help - but in the end, you are in the best position to know what's right for you.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-13-2017)