Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Rear Alignment Problem FAQ

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritorb View Post
    ...recently took my Mirage (2019) to the dealer...front needed the toe adjusted
    My Mirage was delivered new with the front toe out of spec. Maybe yours was like this, too.

...rear toe was found to be well within specs...
    That's good! That's the main measurement you have to watch out for because it's the hardest one to fix.

The tech set the left side Camber to a final setting of -0.3 on the left, and -0.7 on the right.
    What would be the reason for setting this to such a difference from the left to the right?
    99% of the time, a shop won't even attempt to adjust the front camber on a Mirage because (in theory) it's not adjustable. Most shops adjust the front toe and send the car out the door if the camber is within spec.

Because your front camber was out of spec, the tech may have spent some time messing with the strut mounts to get the camber readings into spec. Maybe he elongated one of the strut mount holes for some additional camber adjustment. Some people use "camber bolts" to accomplish the same thing. I'm thinking that the tech didn't intentionally adjust your camber numbers to those values. He probably just messed with it until both sides were within spec.

Last edited by Top_Fuel; 08-25-2020 at 08:14 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info! It is much appreciated. Since the Toe is set correctly, and the rear Toe is well within specs, I guess I'll call it a day and be happy with the settings! The car handles well, and I'm not an aggressive driver by any stretch. So far, I am loving this little machine!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    My Mirage was delivered new with the front toe out of spec. Maybe yours was like this, too.

That's good! That's the main measurement you have to watch out for because it's the hardest one to fix.

99% of the time, a shop won't even attempt to adjust the front camber on a Mirage because (in theory) it's not adjustable. Most shops adjust the front toe and send the car out the door if the camber is within spec.

Because your front camber was out of spec, the tech may have spent some time messing with the strut mounts to get the camber readings into spec. Maybe he elongated one of the strut mount holes for some additional camber adjustment. Some people use "camber bolts" to accomplish the same thing. I'm thinking that the tech didn't intentionally adjust your camber numbers to those values. He probably just messed with it until both sides were within spec.
    The alignment shop I go to installed a set of camber bolts at my last alignment and it made a world of difference. Drove so much better.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (08-26-2020)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Camber bolts are fantastic for correcting when ordinary adjustment yields insufficient range.
    Even without camber bolts, loosening the two lower bolts of the front shock absorber and rocking it sideways gives you around one full degree of adjustment range. Often that is quite enough, and every line up shop should routinely use that method. If they don't, they disqualify themselves!

I have adjusted front camber and also to-in to neutral, being best for economy. You can check and correct it very accurately yourself,

See for camber: https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ure-and-adjust

and see for toe-in: https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...eck-and-adjust

Last edited by foama; 08-26-2020 at 06:23 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-26-2020),Top_Fuel (08-26-2020)