Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Biggest pet peeve of the Mirage? (Annoyances)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    Boy isnt that the truth... I have small kids, and they are always dropping something in the floor in the back, and realistically ask, Hey Dad, can you turn the light on? And I am thinking... no, it wont help you, but you cant tell that to a 7 year old, so I have this one stupid light glaring me right in the face as I am driving, and they have zero help... lol. Been there, done that a THOUSAND times!
    I replaced the bulb with an LED light and it helped a bit. I then bought some stick on, remote control LED lights and put them in the foot wells and in glove box. I can turn on them easily when needed.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitsuko For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (02-15-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Mine is the horrific, proprietary, dealership-only, pain-in-the-ass TPMS system. Other manufacturers have systems that are soooooo simple and user-friendly. Why do any and all Mirage TPMS settings, adjustments, and programming procedures have to be buried in the software of a $3,500 dealership scan tool??

Gotta either spend hundreds of dollars or stare at that damned warning light for 1/3 of the year.
    I agree, plus many other electronic crap that is so damn expensive to fix. It's supposed to be an economy car not a Lexus.

I'd like to get rid of:

Electric door locks and windows

$400 smart key

Air bag sensors: mine just went out. Luckily it was still under warranty. I wonder how much that would've cost?

TPMS

Smart AC

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Madison320 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (11-05-2020),poorman1 (02-16-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My biggest pet peeve is getting blown around on the road when it's windy. And it's windy in Cleveland alot!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    You know what really grinds my gears?!? Tilt only wheel adjustments with no telescoping wheel and the fact I cant ever really get comfortable in my seat. Ive tried everything, seat cushions, memory foam seat covers, hell even a suicide knob to reach better! Also not having height adjustment in my seat really sucks. Thank god 95% of my driving will be city only.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    You know what really grinds my gears?!? Tilt only wheel adjustments with no telescoping wheel and the fact I cant ever really get comfortable in my seat. Ive tried everything, seat cushions, memory foam seat covers, hell even a suicide knob to reach better! Also not having height adjustment in my seat really sucks. Thank god 95% of my driving will be city only.
    I can honestly say that I have never moved the steering wheel since I've owned my Mirage (bought new in October of 2017 & it just turned over 25,000 miles this week). I've never moved the front seat either (other than to vacuum under it). If I had a height adjustment, I can't imagine using it. I sat in an SE with the height adjustment before buying my ES without it. I thought the height adjustment was a pretty worthless feature (unless you're quite short). I would never use even it was there. My Subaru has it, and I never use it. Then again, I am the only driver of it. When you own a manual, friends don't ask to borrow your vehicles (one nice perk). I can't say I've ever owned a car with telescopic steering. I guess I don't know what I am missing there. I don't find my Mirage to be any less comfortable than my Subaru Forester, & I've done the same long trips with both many, many times. If anything, I am more comfortable in my Mirage. The Subaru is easier to get in and out of, but that's a seat height from the ground thing.

Sometimes, you don't know how much you will like something until you've owned it for a bit. The longer that I have had my Mirage, the more I like it! I never lose sight of what it is, however. It's meant to be a cheap little economy car. You may have bought the wrong car for you? Hopefully, you'll own something better long before your CVT goes out on it!

I am not trying to knock your complaints, but it's a cheap little car. I've driven cars costing twice as much & thought they were crap. I am really not impressed with our 2016 Ford Focus driver's education cars. Sadly, my driving school owner bought 6 of them at one time. The one at our school has had major transmission work done before it reached 15,000 miles. The interior seems really small even though it's a bigger car than the Mirage. It's not been an impressive machine. Makes me appreciate my little Mirage even more when I head home afterwards!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Only one car I've ever owned had a telescoping steering wheel. It was really, really nice. I'm only 5'11", not unusually tall at all, and it's still hard to find a good balance between cramped legs and over-extended arms in many cars.

Sadly, telescoping steering wheels are extremely rare in cars under $20,000. As much as I love the feature, I've managed many 2,000 mile road trips without it, without too much discomfort. I've found that adjusting the seat so my arms can reach the wheel without stretching is the most important thing. My legs aren't as happy, but the alternative of over-extending my arms will give me sore shoulders, a stiff back, an aching neck, and a splitting headache in short order.

The second-most-comfortable car I've driven, seat-and-steering-wheel-wise, was a Geo Metro, which didn't have any adjustments for the wheel whatsoever, not even tilt. The headrest wasn't adjustable, either, since the seat back was all one piece. But everything felt just about right as-is. Once, I drove it up almost the entire winding Pacific Coast Highway, from San Diego to Newport, Oregon, and I was pretty comfortable the whole time. It didn't have power steering, either.

Last edited by Scratchpaddy; 06-14-2019 at 03:06 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratchpaddy View Post

The second-most-comfortable car I've driven, seat-and-steering-wheel-wise, was a Geo Metro, which didn't have any adjustments for the wheel whatsoever, not even tilt. The headrest wasn't adjustable, either, since the seat back was all one piece. But everything felt just about right as-is. Once, I drove it up almost the entire winding Pacific Coast Highway, from San Diego to Newport, Oregon, and I was pretty comfortable the whole time. It didn't have power steering, either.
    I always felt my 1990 Ford Festiva was comfortable to drive, too. Very similar - seat back was one piece, no power steering (tracked very well for small car). I really liked the sitting posture in that car. Visibility was great, too! Not great for carrying passengers, but a pleasure to drive with one passenger or alone.

The only bad experience with that car was when the roof caved partly in on me, but that was my fault. I had harvested a whitetail buck at my dad's farm, & decided I was going take it home on the roof top (4-hours away). It was a very redneck sight to behold for sure. I unloaded at home and shoved it back up! No harm done! Sometimes, we expect little cars to do things they weren't designed to do! I don't think the Mirage would do any better under the same circumstances?

Once you start moving, power steering isn't really all that critical (especially in a small car). It helps at low speeds and parking. Beyond that, it's not really necessary.

Electric power steering makes a huge difference in atv's and side by sides. No more bump steer. I'd never own one without it after putting it in my turdpail rzr.
    With car's usually they'd use a different steering ratio for manual vs power steering. I'm sure most people know that though.

My one complaint about the Mirage is we still don't get an armrest on the second lowest model(es plus). I don't know what level Mirage got them in Canada. The gas door release could be moved up higher so it doesn't pack with snow then freeze for certain people.
    Better seats. The seat back foam is crap. I've never seen a seat that can become destroyed within seconds without even trying hard. Push against the steering wheel a few times and your seat is garbage. They need some type of reinforcement in the back rest, it's a terrible design.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (06-14-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My pet peeve is not being able to adjust the radio volume when I first start the car. It's like it doesnt respond until the radio goes through the start screen. Annoying

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

timw4mail (06-14-2019)

I noticed that too on a 19'. Thought it wouldn't let you adjust the volume while in reverse at first but it was just slow to boot up. But the apple carplay is pretty cool. I've never used something that fancy before.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)