Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Cars Would You Collect if You Could?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

What Cars Would You Collect if You Could?

I've always had a cursory interest in cars, but when I compare what interests me as opposed to what interests most people, it always seems drastically different, as my priorities are different. When it comes to cars, even classics, they are meant to be driven and I do not want things that I am afraid to drive. It then occurred to me that the fine people here would probably have somewhat of a different opinion than most as well. So I'm interested in what people would collect if they could.

If I could, this is what I would want:

Citroen DS- Incredibly revolutionary, and mind you safe car with fantastic ride quality and interesting and ahead of it's time tech. A lot of what is in this car makes it almost modern standard.

Any classic with a slant 6- An incredibly reliable engine, so much so that they still make parts for it. In fact, these vehicles are usually inexpensive and I believe that is partly due to the engine being so bulletproof, not allowing for there to be a thinning of the herd. A late 60s to 70s Dodge dart or Plymouth Valiant can be had with updated brakes and a lot of other goodies for less than 10k.

Volvo P1800- Aside from having the distinction of being the coolest Volvo ever made, this is as far as I understand another car that is bulletproof. The car with the record for highest mileage ever is a Volvo P1800, and that is saying something. I think it was 3 million miles? Could be wrong though.

Nissan Figaro- A classic almost not classic. Just turning 25 this year, the fig is a modern car that looks like an old car, with a fascinating production story. It was designed to look like a classic Italian car but was built on, I believe, the Nissan Micra platform of the time. Thus parts are still very readily available, it has all the conveniences and features of a new car, and there likely isn't anything more unique on the road.

I could probably have all 4 of these cars, in good working order for less than 50 k, less than many spend on 1 luxury car that looses almost all of its value. Mind boggling.

I would love to hear yours!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Jeep CJ-7.

I once owned a 1968 Plymouth Valiant with a slant six. I don't miss it not running when it's distributor got wet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hot wheels!
    Affordable, zero maintenance, zero disappointment and almost guaranteed to appreciate in value.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Then you both know about the 1 finger steering on them old mopars!

Ide be all about a 1980s porsche 911 turbo.

But i really prefer home built type stuff more. Even if it isn't quite as good, it's still way cooler than something from an assembly line or magazine ad.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Jeep CJ-7.

I once owned a 1968 Plymouth Valiant with a slant six. I don't miss it not running when it's distributor got wet.
    I'd love to pick your brain about this sometime.If ones intention is to drive the car, it really limits what you can buy. The Valiant's most beautiful production run was definitely the one from the early 60s, but I imagine if I ever did buy it, it'd have to be a mid 70s model for some modern conveniences. I've been on and off looking at them for years.

Are there certain things that you would look for as a must have that a young(ish) driver, inexperienced with the older motors would take for granted?

Also why is the CJ-7 cooler to you than the current Wrangler? The styling is still awesome haha. Is it a more fun drive?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    Hot wheels!
    Affordable, zero maintenance, zero disappointment and almost guaranteed to appreciate in value.
    I never did get actual hotwheels, but I remember getting those boxes of the toy cars as a kid. They came in like a chocolate box with the white plastic. Haven't thought about that in years haha

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    Then you both know about the 1 finger steering on them old mopars!

Ide be all about a 1980s porsche 911 turbo.

But i really prefer home built type stuff more. Even if it isn't quite as good, it's still way cooler than something from an assembly line or magazine ad.
    Old Porsches are great. Inexpensive, fun to drive (so I am told) and they still look the bloody same. Also you don't appear to be the douchebag that would buy a new Porsche.

I remember once seeing selling an old dodge dart with disk brakes and power steering for $4000 cad. It was being used as an old couples daily driver and apparently they were getting too old. It was gone before I could have even gone to test drive it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    I want a Ferrari 308/328, like the one Tom Selleck drove in Magnum, P.I. They are known to be fairly reliable, were built in large numbers (by Ferrari standards), and have a look I have loved since I was a kid. Not too expensive, either...a nice one can be had for about the same cost as a new Lexus SUV.

Name:  ferrari-308-06.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  78.7 KB

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Alfa Romeo 4c, 1961 E Type Jag, Aston Martin DB5, Suzuki Samurai, Ferrari 612, Nissa GTR, Lancia Stratos, Older RangeRovers, and basically any rally car.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spadesheart View Post
    I'd love to pick your brain about this sometime.If ones intention is to drive the car, it really limits what you can buy. The Valiant's most beautiful production run was definitely the one from the early 60s, but I imagine if I ever did buy it, it'd have to be a mid 70s model for some modern conveniences. I've been on and off looking at them for years.

Are there certain things that you would look for as a must have that a young(ish) driver, inexperienced with the older motors would take for granted?
    I would look for power brakes, as I see the big heavy cars from that era didn't always have them, but sure could use them. Today, it's hard to find a car without some form of brake assist, whether it is power assist, antilock, etcetera.

Think hard about driving an old car. Take a look at this video for an example.

Quote Originally Posted by Spadesheart View Post
    Also why is the CJ-7 cooler to you than the current Wrangler? The styling is still awesome haha. Is it a more fun drive?
    I wouldn't say it's cooler, but it's more fun to modify.

I'm also a big fan of straight six engines.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)