Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: E85 fuel in a mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Not sure if this has been posted:

Pure-gas.org

Welcome to the definitive list of stations that sell pure, ethanol-free gasoline in the U.S. and Canada!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (09-07-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Also, does anyone use an ethanol treatment additive in their Mirage or anything else?

Star Brite Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment - Regular Gas Formula 8 oz - Treats 48 Gallons

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I'm still testing but I can say with a fair level of confidence that my Mirage is getting about 4% better fuel mileage on 100% gasoline as opposed to gasoline with 10% ethanol (which is what 99.9% of gas stations carry in Ohio).

That may not sound like a big deal, but when you're getting 50mpg that's an extra 2mpg. Unfortunately it's not really a fuel that pays for itself in extra efficiency. It's the same price (or slightly higher) than 93 octane premium. I'll do a full write-up later in the fall on my testing.

Here is 100% gasoline at the station where I buy it. They started carrying it several months ago. I haven't seen "real" gasoline (outside of a boat dock) for years.
    I don't remember a time when non-ethanol gas hasn't been available in SW Wisconsin. I buy non-ethanol gas for all of my small engine equipment.

I once had a small engine repair mechanic show me how the rubber components in some small engine carburetors curl up because of the ethanol in gas. I had a cheap MTD mower that had that happen within the first year while using 10% ethanol gas, & it stopped running. Since switching to non-ethanol gas for most everything, I seldom have any gas related issues. I've been using that same push mower for over 15 years now without issue.

I've heard chainsaw shop owners say bad gas is the number one problem with chainsaws that come in for repairs. Quoting another source - "Gas with ethanol separates while being stored in your gas tank. The 2 stroke oil remains bonded to the gasoline but not to ethanol. Thus, the ethanol and water part of the mixture contains no oil for engine lubrication. This leads to poor lubrication, performance issues and costly repairs over time." That's why owners of older 2-cycle outboard motors go out of their way to buy non-ethanol gas.

My Mirage & Forester get 10% ethanol gas. My 3 chainsaws, grass trimmer, log splitter, rototiller, 2 push mowers, riding lawnmower, ATV, UTV, & anything else I may be forgetting all get non-ethanol gas. Some would probably do ok with some ethanol, but I find it easier to run the same gas in everything. I can also take a gallon of gas from one my 5 gallon gas cans & mix it for my 2-stroke engines with no worries. My gas-powered McCulloch grass trimmer is 25 years old (purchased in 1994), & it still runs perfectly fine.

Some things sit for months at a time like my log splitter and rototiller. I have way less headaches/issues with non-ethanol gas, & I don't even look at the extra cost for it any more.

88 Octane E15 gas has become popular in my area recently. It's always 5 cents less than 87 Octane E10 gas. I follow the Mirage owner's manual & always splurge on the E10 gas. E15 may be perfectly fine, but I can afford the extra 40 cents for a tank of gas.
    Last edited by Mark; 09-07-2019 at 09:50 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (09-08-2019)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    In Europe we get either E5 = 5% ethanol 95 octane, or E10 = 10% ethanol 95 octane.
    All is 95 octane except for exotic blends at ridiculous prices.

The 10% ethanol version is usually about 1.5% to 3% cheaper than the 5% version, depending on who sells it. Consumers were initially assumed to prefer it, but commercial success is very limited. It simply does not pay using 10% as opposed to 5% at that price difference, which is about as much as the mpg penalty. I avoid it.

I think crops should be feeding people rather than pigs or being converted into fuel because of selfish nitwits running grossly oversized cars harming the environment more than necessary. The introduction of E10 caused famines in many areas because of the sudden increase in price and demand of crops converted to fuel instead of feeding people.

Furthermore, when fuel stations started selling 10%, they filled it into their old undergroud tanks that were previously used for lower ethanol content fuel! The higher alcohol content partly dissolved the old sludge build-up laying on the bottom of the old tanks. That sludge became part of the fuel pumped into customers cars. The first customers suffered major problems such as this:

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ar-won-t-start
    Last edited by foama; 09-07-2019 at 07:39 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    In Europe we get either E5 = 5% ethanol 95 octane, or E10 = 10% ethanol 95 octane. All is 95 octane except for exotic blends at ridiculous prices.

The 10% ethanol version is usually about 1.5% to 3% cheaper than the 5% version, depending on who sells it. Consumers were initially assumed to prefer it, but commercial success is very limited. It simply does not pay using 10% as opposed to 5% at that price difference, which is about as much as the mpg penalty. I avoid it.
    Our octane ratings are done differently, & these would be the common ones in my area -

The second pic was a 1948 Nash pickup truck that pulled up behind me at the gas pump today. He said, he bought it in 1986, restored it a bit, & has been using it as his pickup truck since. He had a load of tires in the back. By the way - he was putting the 91 octane non-ethanol gas in his truck!

10% ethanol has been quite common for decades here. 15% ethanol is a recent addition in our area. I stick with the 10% for my Mirage & Forester. I use 15% in my Chevy Impala driver's education car at times, but that car is designed for flex fuels.

Today's 87 octane E10 was $2.48/gallon, & 88 octane E15 was $2.43.

$2.48 USD = 2.23 euro/gallon. 2.23 euro/gallon divided by 3.78541 liter/gallon = approximately 0.59 euro/liter
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Mark; 09-07-2019 at 06:28 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

foama (09-07-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That picture makes it looks like the E85 and Non Ethanol are on the same pump. Either way I would not want 1/3 a gallon of the E85 in the non-ethanol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    That picture makes it looks like the E85 and Non Ethanol are on the same pump. Either way I would not want 1/3 a gallon of the E85 in the non-ethanol.
    Each 87, 88, 91, & E85 have their own separate hose. There are four hoses. The 87 hose was pumping gas into my Mirage when I took the pic, and both hoses on the other side are not visible. There is no mixing of gases at this station. Some of the pumps at this station have diesel instead of the E85 option, too.

Your concern is good one, but that would not happen at this gas station. If you look closely, you can see one hose is going to my car, and you can see two hoses on the other side reflecting off the side of the pump. 4 choices, each with their own separate hose.

I know what you are talking about, but this station is the opposite of that. Each grade of fuel is kept totally separate. You can see the four separate fuel lines coming off the pumps above the Nash pickup truck pic, too.
    Last edited by Mark; 09-07-2019 at 10:38 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ah nice I missed that. Never seen one with 4 nozzles before.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    Ah nice I missed that. Never seen one with 4 nozzles before.
    Every pump has 8 nozzles if you count both sides. It the opposite of gas pumps that have one hose/nozzle and then you pick your grade of fuel.

Banned
    Country
    Aruba
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Can I get an update please!!!