Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: E85 fuel in a mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks

E85 fuel in a mirage

I am looking into experimenting with e85 in my mirage. Some vehicles have been found to be pre programmed with e85 capabilities with owners manuals that specify do not use e85. Some vehicles even have fuel type modes with dealership scanners. I live 2 blocks from sheetz a gas station that is all over Pennsylvania that offers E15 (rated for vehicles 2001 and newer) and E85. I'm going to experiment, E15 for a few weeks with new plugs. Then eventually add a 1/8 of a tank 50/50 E85/E15 to see how it runs. I also have a gas station 7 miles away that sells 100% gasoline that I will have 2 gallons of on standby just in case, plus I can always drain the fuel tank. I believe the mirage can run on E85, without modification, but there's only one way to find out. My goal is to find alternative fuels to power my mirage, and be a long term user of alternative fuels to find out if the E85 has any ill effects to the mirage over the long term. I would also like to try methanol, it would be nice to convert everything to E85/methanol.

I did find this kit.

https://www.change2e85.com/E85-ethan...car-3-cylinder

Just I am curious if Mitsubishi's scanner has a fuel choice programming feature.

2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would recommend against your plan

-e85 has less energy in it per volume, and therefore you need larger fuel injectors. (Or a way to hold factory on longer)

May I ask the benefit you see in running e85?

Also, research what stoitchmetric (spell check) for e85 and buy a compatible wideband if your actually going to try this anyways so you can visually monitor afr

I don't want to be negative, I believe a CONVERSION is fully feasible but not just dump the juice in and go

Diyautotune.com has everything you need to make this happen on a realistic level, including octane sensing and self adjusting algorithm capable controllers. (Allows any mix of e10/85) Sorry geeked out there for a second
    Last edited by MightyMirageMpg; 01-27-2017 at 10:41 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex16 View Post
    ...I also have a gas station 7 miles away that sells 100% gasoline...
    I wish I could find 100% gasoline somewhere!

If you end up doing this, be sure to monitor your fuel mileage and let us know how using E85 affects it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-18-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I had a '94 Mazda B4000 that I ran E85 in. Granted, it was not a FlexFuel vehicle, but it did run on it and I didn't have any problems. I only ran 2-3 tanks.

Mpg sucked, and it felt like I had a tank full of dishwater when I stepped on it.

I tried it back when E85 was $2.50 a gallon and gas was $4.85. Don't see much reason to putz around with it nowadays. I am sure the Mirage will run on it...but why?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I am looking into experimenting with e85 in my mirage
    The 2015 owner's manual says the Mirage is designed to operate on unleaded gasoline with a minimum octane rating of 87, and that a mixture of up to 10% ethanol and 90% gasoline may be used, provided the octane number is at least as high as that recommended for gasoline. The owner's manual also advises against using methanol, as it may damage fuel system components.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I topped off with about 3.5 gallons of what was sold as e85 (actual ethanol content is allowed to vary significantly) from a big name gas station. I monitored my fuel trims, injector duty cycle and O2 sensor data. O2 sensor data suggested I was always able to maintain a stoichiometric ratio (taking into account the ethanol content) even with full throttle and high rpm. My injector duty cycle never approached a dangerous level, and there was never any excess oxygen in the exhaust so I was confident I never went lean.

Definitely accelerated a bit faster. But other than that and the fact the the exhaust literally smelled like vodka i saw no benefit and I won't take that risk again but it was fun to experiment.

Oh and you will get a check engine light. If you can't monitor O2 and fuel trim data do not use E85.

If you enjoy learning the hard way and don't mind the risk, have at it.
    Last edited by gone.a; 06-18-2019 at 04:04 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Why the love for alternative fuels?
    Alternative is not a synonym for better in regards to performance or the environment.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just would like to run something that isn't gasoline. In 5-6 years I hope to buy a used tesla but until then I would prefer not using gas as much as possible.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to alex16 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-28-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    In 5-6 years I hope to buy a used tesla but until then I would prefer not using gas as much as possible.
    Yes! From a Mirage to a Tesla. Don't let anyone stop you. Go!

You rock, alex16. Man, I wish this forum had an emoticon for headbanging.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

alex16 (01-28-2017),mohammad (06-14-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am looking into experimenting with e85 in my mirage. Some vehicles have been found to be pre programmed with e85 capabilities with owners manuals that specify do not use e85. Some vehicles even have fuel type modes with dealership scanners. I live 2 blocks from sheetz a gas station that is all over Pennsylvania that offers E15 (rated for vehicles 2001 and newer) and E85. I'm going to experiment, E15 for a few weeks with new plugs. Then eventually add a 1/8 of a tank 50/50 E85/E15 to see how it runs. I also have a gas station 7 miles away that sells 100% gasoline that I will have 2 gallons of on standby just in case, plus I can always drain the fuel tank. I believe the mirage can run on E85, without modification, but there's only one way to find out. My goal is to find alternative fuels to power my mirage, and be a long term user of alternative fuels to find out if the E85 has any ill effects to the mirage over the long term. I would also like to try methanol, it would be nice to convert everything to E85/methanol.

I did find this kit.

https://www.change2e85.com/E85-ethan...car-3-cylinder

Just I am curious if Mitsubishi's scanner has a fuel choice programming feature.
    Sorry to bump an old thread.

Alex, did you ever run a full tank of E85?