Thread: Grinding rattle noise while in drive but stopped

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Grinding rattle noise while in drive but stopped

It started suddenly I stopped at a light and the noise started had never heard it before, it mostly only happens when in drive and as far as I can tell mostly just when stopped, at first I noticed the engine moved a lot when shifting and replaced the motor and engine mount as they were lose which reduced the significant movement but the problem continued the imgur link is a video I took of the sound, anyone have any idea what it could be?
    https://imgur.com/a/B5P5q8r

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NaviFrost View Post
    It started suddenly I stopped at a light and the noise started had never heard it before, it mostly only happens when in drive and as far as I can tell mostly just when stopped, at first I noticed the engine moved a lot when shifting and replaced the motor and engine mount as they were lose which reduced the significant movement but the problem continued the imgur link is a video I took of the sound, anyone have any idea what it could be?
    https://imgur.com/a/B5P5q8r
    Could it be a bad tensioner bearing on the serpentine belt?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

These don't have a belt tensioner pulley.

I'd pull the belt off and spin all the pulleys. Fire it up without the belt and see if sound is gone. From the sound I'd guess a bad ac compressor/clutch. Does the ac work? Does it sound different with ac on vs off? If it is screwed you could install a belt for a non-ac car to get you by til you get parts rounded up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (06-20-2022),mohammad (06-20-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post

I'd pull the belt off and spin all the pulleys. Fire it up without the belt and see if sound is gone. From the sound I'd guess a bad ac compressor/clutch. Does the ac work? Does it sound different with ac on vs off? If it is screwed you could install a belt for a non-ac car to get you by til you get parts rounded up.
    Yah, completely forgot about that since I've only adjusted my belt once in almost 7 years!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Just had a chance to do that and with the belt fully removed the issue continued and all the pullys seemed to spin okay, and it's still almost only happening with it in drive with the break pedal down

could be as simple as a loose belt? air cleaner? exhaust heat shield

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    could be as simple as a loose belt? air cleaner? exhaust heat shield
    I actually think it's a cracked flex plate unfortunately, I found a video showing the sound of a cracked flex plate and it was for a different car but the sound was nearly identical

I listened to your video again. Ignore my last post....
    Anything is possible. A cracked flywheel isn't common but there's a first for anything. What year is your car? I assume it's a 2014 cause it has the extra little rubber isolator on the engine mount. Has the engine or transmission been replaced at one point?

The only cracked flywheel I remember seeing first hand was in an 89 Chev 1/2 ton. The flywheel was cracked/broken in a circle around the bolts holding it to the crank. It still started fine, it drove but transmission lost reverse. The only hint was it made a tinging noise similar to yours once in a while.

I guess you could pull your starter out and take a look at parts of the flywheel. Maybe have someone put a ratchet on the crank or alternator pulley and spin it over while watching the flywheel? I think the lower part of the inspection cover(lower part of the bell housing cover/tin plate) might be removable fairly easily to get a better look?