Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Strange things happening - SOLVED (burned out tail light bulb caused odd problems)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Glad you were able to open the files.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Car Nut (02-10-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's healed!!!!!! ( I think )

Since I can't do any diagnostics without the Mitsu scan tool, I decided to go back to the basics. Started checking the wheel sensor wires, connections, whatever. I then pulled off one of the tail lights to check the bulbs. Pulled out the brake bulb, and it looked fine. Shook it, tapped it, the filaments didn't shake or anything. Decided what the heck, I'll go to my bulb box and get another one to throw in there, just so I could eliminate the bulb as an issue. Pushed on the brake pedal, are you ready?....... IT WORKED!!!!!!
    Ran to the other side and pulled that bulb. It looked fine too. Swapped it out, and IT WORKED TOO! By now I'm really scratching my head. I'm wondering, how in the heck did they both stop working at once? Something cause them to blow? Who knows.

I had the car running while all this checking was going on, and noticed that the ASC light was still on. So.... I turned off the car, and then pushed the start button again. Ready for this? It didn't start. WHAT???? Pushed it a second time, and the system went into accessory mode. Pushed it one more time, and it started, along with the ASC light going off. Did it again, and it works exactly like it should. Now explain that. Who would have ever thought all that stupid stuff would have happened over a stupid bulb(s).
    Needless to say I'm a happy camper now.

I can only imagine the phone call I might have received from the dealer, if I had dropped it off. Hello, is this Mr. Dumbazz? Yes, what did you find? Well sir, we ran five hours of diagnostics on your car, test drove it to lunch, and picked up our dry cleaning while we were out. We then returned to the shop to examine the freeze frame data that the scan tool recorded. It clearly showed that your blinker fluid was extremely low, at which time we decided to top it off. While we were filling the fluid, we ran diagnostics on the brake light bulbs, and discovered that they were non functional. We replaced those for you while we were in the neighborhood. Anyways, the car works fine now, and your bill only comes to $637.45. Will you be picking it up today sir?

So anyways, I'm out $27.27, for the brake light switch, plus a little bit of time. Hopefully this experience might help someone else later on.
    Last edited by Car Nut; 02-10-2017 at 08:16 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Car Nut For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-10-2017),Top_Fuel (02-13-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Glad you were able to open the files.
    Thanks very much for your link!

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Glad you got it sorted!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Car Nut View Post
    Decided what the heck, I'll go to my bulb box and get another one to throw in there, just so I could eliminate the bulb as an issue.
    What bulb did you use? The owner's manual calls for P21/5W.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    What bulb did you use? The owner's manual calls for P21/5W.
    Not sure, Couldn't read them. I have a commercial account at Advance auto parts, so I'll pick up a box of 10, of the correct ones, tomorrow. I can usually buy 10 for less than a package of 2, of the ones hanging out on the rack.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Car Nut For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-11-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
    Glad you got it sorted!
    Me too!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Car Nut View Post
    Who would have ever thought all that stupid stuff would have happened over a stupid bulb(s).
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Took me a while to figure out that somebody had put the wrong bulb in one of the taillights!
    I would have thought that...and I did! Glad you got it sorted out.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Hey Car Nut - do you know the bulb type for the ones that caused all your malfunctions? Call it strange, but I wonder if these symptoms would be easy to duplicate? Also, I wonder if they in any way contributed to the damage the car took...?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hey Car Nut - do you know the bulb type for the ones that caused all your malfunctions? Call it strange, but I wonder if these symptoms would be easy to duplicate? Also, I wonder if they in any way contributed to the damage the car took...?
    I found one of them. It was a P21/5W. Need to find the other one. I recall they were both silver in color. Not one silver, and one brass base one. Probably both originals.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Car Nut For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-11-2017)