Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strange things happening - SOLVED (burned out tail light bulb caused odd problems)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Strange things happening - SOLVED (burned out tail light bulb caused odd problems)

As a lot of you know, I recently purchased a 2014 ES that was involved in a collision. Anyways, i was checking the car over this morning, getting it ready for a state inspection, when I noticed some odd behavior.

1. I put the car in accessory mode, and pressed the brake pedal, trying to check the brake lights. I only had them on the third brake light. I then started the car, pressed the brake pedal again, and all the brake lights started working. I then turned everything off, and took a break

2. I came back later, and tried putting the car in accessory mode again, to check the turn signals, etc. Usually I would just push the start button once, and the dash lights would turn on, and I have power to everything. This time, when I pressed the start button, it started. That probably doesn't sound too weird, until I tell you that I didn't have my foot on the brake pedal. I scratched my head, turned it off, and tried again, same thing. I cannot get it into accessory mode.

It's been working fine, until today. Might go unplug the battery for awhile, and maybe it will heal itself. Anybody else seen this?

Just disconnected the battery for awhile, same thing.

Last edited by Car Nut; 02-07-2017 at 08:11 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I really think you have a broken brake switch. Try driving and seeing if your cruise works. If it didn't engage, it could quite possibly a stuck switch even if the brake lights aren't on.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was kinda thinking along that same line. All the bad switches I've replaced in the past, the brake lights stayed on. This one acts like it's shorted since I don't have to press the pedal to start the car. Not sure why the lights aren't stuck on if it's shorted tho.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Car Nut View Post
    It's been working fine, until today. Might go unplug the battery for awhile, and maybe it will heal itself. Anybody else seen this?
    Can't say I've noticed this.

I just tried the following on my 2015 ES. I got all brake lights with the car off, in accessory, and on. I then removed the FAST key away from the interior of the car and tried again. I got brake lights with the car off, and the car would not go into accessory or on (of course.) I got the immobilizer warning light on the dash though.

I wouldn't rule out a wiring harness problem.

The ECU is located behind the fuse panel on the driver's side, near where your car suffered most of it's damage. Now, I doubt there is any relevant damage there - your pictures don't support this - but it's worth checking into.

Hm. I am definitely interested in seeing what would cause this.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wonder if a weak battery in the Fast key would cause this?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (02-08-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
    Good suggestion. I bought a '92 Mercury Capri XR2 and had some trouble with the electrical system. Weird stuff...like when I stepped on the brakes the dash lights would come on. I thought I was in for a real headache.

Took me a while to figure out that somebody had put the wrong bulb in one of the taillights!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Replaced that last week, because the door locks wouldn't work half the time, when I pressed the button on the remote. The locks seem to work good now.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    The immobilizer light would illuminate on the dash if it were not able to read the FAST key code.
    Quote Originally Posted by Car Nut View Post
    Replaced that last week, because the door locks wouldn't work half the time, when I pressed the button on the remote. The locks seem to work good now.
    Are you using any electronics in the car, such as cell phone or OBDII device?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nothing else in the car but my fat butt, and the fast key.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    I really think you have a broken brake switch. Try driving and seeing if your cruise works. If it didn't engage, it could quite possibly a stuck switch even if the brake lights aren't on.
    Update
    Cruise doesn't work, and the Active Stability Control light is staying on. I tried turning ASC off by the switch, but it just stays lit up.