Page 151 of 271 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161201251 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 2702

Thread: What did you do to your Mirage today?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Guess what happens if you're using cruise in a 5-speed and you pop the shifter into neutral (without the clutch) in order to coast...
    I would imagine it revs. But frequently when I'm Cruising, I push the clutch (to shift up or down depending on conditions). Very little clutch pedal travel to kill the Cruise.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

OH, it revs! It was a battle to the death between the cruise control and the rev limiter!

Actually, I quickly stepped in (stepped on the clutch) and broke up the fight. It didn't even bounce twice.

Made me wonder if there's programming to cancel the cruise in the event of rapidly rising RPM. I wonder what it would do if the car encountered black ice or hydroplaned on water while on cruise.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    OH, it revs! It was a battle to the death between the cruise control and the rev limiter!

Actually, I quickly stepped in (stepped on the clutch) and broke up the fight. It didn't even bounce twice.

Made me wonder if there's programming to cancel the cruise in the event of rapidly rising RPM. I wonder what it would do if the car encountered black ice or hydroplaned on water while on cruise.
    If the ASC or traction control is initiated it kicks it out of cruise. Had it happen with some hydroplaning, got the T/C light for less than a second and then it kicked it out of cruise.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-17-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    If the ASC or traction control is initiated it kicks it out of cruise. Had it happen with some hydroplaning, got the T/C light for less than a second and then it kicked it out of cruise.
    There’s a big benefit to using OE cruise control over an aftermarket model.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

inuvik (03-17-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    ThereĀ’s a big benefit to using OE cruise control over an aftermarket model.

To say OE cruise control is a big benefit over aftermarket cruise means what? You can take more risks with it?

I like the factory cruise on my Subaru Forester, and the vehicle is a beast in bad weather. Regardless of that, I would never use cruise unless the conditions are right (day time, good visibility, dry roads, little traffic, etc...)

If it doesn't feel safe to use aftermarket cruise, I wouldn't be using factory installed cruise either. That applies to other things like driving through heavily populated deer areas, heavy traffic, construction zones, or whatever.

I don't think anyone who has added an aftermarket cruise on any vehicle needs to feel inferior about it, because it should do what it's intended to do under the right conditions.

Since 2019, can you buy a new Mitsubishi in the States without factory cruise?
    Last edited by Mark; 03-18-2021 at 04:34 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Mark - I think his point was a bit different. Just in that you lose the built in safety features. But I see your point too. If one is actually DRIVING the car regardless of which cruise control they have on board, unless they were insane, they wouldn't be using cruise control in snowy / icy conditions. So ... your point being, if one is paying attention the built in safety features are of little value. I can agree with that.

I will say one thing, I use cruise control all the time. My right foot is lazy and unsteady. My right foot likes to vary the throttle input, but it doesn't like to hold speed steady. So I tend to use the cruise A LOT. Heck, I'll even hit the cruise control to hold my speed steady backing out of the driveway!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Mark - I think his point was a bit different. Just in that you lose the built in safety features. But I see your point too. If one is actually DRIVING the car regardless of which cruise control they have on board, unless they were insane, they wouldn't be using cruise control in snowy / icy conditions. So ... your point being, if one is paying attention the built in safety features are of little value. I can agree with that.

I will say one thing, I use cruise control all the time. My right foot is lazy and unsteady. My right foot likes to vary the throttle input, but it doesn't like to hold speed steady. So I tend to use the cruise A LOT. Heck, I'll even hit the cruise control to hold my speed steady backing out of the driveway!
    Since you can only get a manual in the ES trim since 2018, it's nice that cruise became standard for all trim levels in 2019+. If I decided to add an aftermarket cruise to my 2017 Mirage ES, I wouldn't be concerned about the added safety features in the least. That was my point I guess. If safety features are having to kick in while in cruise, a person shouldn't probably be in cruise in the first place. This is Mark the driving instructor in me talking I guess.

I am planning to drive over 600 miles tomorrow with my Mirage. I'm sure there will be times I wish I had cruise, but it doesn't bother me that much. I feel more engaged/attentive in what I am doing without it. I would never knock cruise, however. It's a nice feature for sure!

Cruise hurts my fuel economy a little. Makes me lazy! But I use it anyway.

But it's the one modern convenience I like most. I'd rather have it than AC. Most of my cars have had neither, so I feel spoiled by the Mirage.

PS: enjoy your trip!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Mark (03-18-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    The Rostra stalk unit we installed in the G4 doesn't handle inclines well at all. It kicks up to 4500 rpms on the slightest hill.

If it's too jumpy on the throttle, you can might be able to adjust it.

I put an aftermarket cruise on my Firefly, and it had DIP switches under an access panel on the control unit. Two of the settings that could be adjusted were for "throttle reaction speed" and "variation from set speed". So it reacted more gradually / smoothly to changes in elevation.