Page 182 of 271 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182183184192232 ... LastLast
Results 1,811 to 1,820 of 2702

Thread: What did you do to your Mirage today?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Rich - I will be thinking about you from Sunday on. I'll give a prayer that you arrive safely everywhere you go. It would be great to hear from ya during the time your running back and forth from Texas. But you don't have to pull over to the side of the road and post every 5 minutes. We'll let you post every 10 minutes!

Holy cow, 16 mpg! That is some serious work that 3-Tapper did. My 145 run through north GA is breeze compared to that. The wind is generally never much of an issue, at most it is usually a light breeze. And on I-75 there are some gentle hills. But with my cute little utility trailer with the tailgate folded down into low drag mode, I doubt the speed will drop more than a couple mph.

Are you having to pull your trailer with a load ramp sticking up like a barn door? If so, maybe you could lay it down like shown in my picture(s). Lay it down then throw a strap strategically over your stuff.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    . . . . . I greatly appreciate the support. Every ten minutes. Hum! My power cord for my computer isn't that long. I don't use my phone to access the Internet! It is an enclosed trailer that weighs about 600 pounds. That leaves me about 900 pounds of load for each trip. If you go to U-Haul and look at their trailers you will see three of them. It is like the middle size. So, YES, in a way it is like pulling a sheet of plywood down the road. I am praying for tail winds. To get to 70 mph with a 20 to 25 mph head wind I was running flat out in fourth gear on a slight down grade. This was a test and I don't plan on running any faster than 65.
    . . . . On the Interstates I will be running at 10 mph below the speed limit. Most of my driving will be on US and State highways. My route will be WI State Highway 33 East to State Highway 23. I will go South on that to Dodgeville where I will pick up US Highway 151. I will continue South on 151 to Dubuque. I will fill up in Dodgeville and again in Dubuque. I will continue South on 151 to Cedar Rapids. I will fill up again in Cedar Rapids. I will them get on South bound I-380 to Iowa City and I-80. I will go West on I-80 to Des Moines. I will fill up in Des Moines. I will get on South bound I-35 to Kansas City. I will fill up about half way to KC. I will fill up again in KC. I will go South on I-35 to US-169. I will go South on 169 to Tulsa, OK! I will fill up twice before Tulsa and then again in Tulsa. In Tulsa I will get on US-75 going South to Dallas.
    . . . . I will fill up about half way to Dallas and again in Dallas. I will get on South bound I-45 going to Houston. I will fill up half way to Houston and then again in Houston. I will get on West bound I-10 to Columbus. Depending on the time of day that I get into Columbus will determine whether or not I unload then or wait for the next day. I will fill up in Columbus and then take the exact same route but in reverse back to Reedsburg! I have a friend in Portland that I will be calling several times a day and another in Reedsburg that I will call a couple of times each day. They will know my route and about how long it should take me to get to each break period. Now you know!
    . . . . I got my new bumper cover back today! I really didn't expect it until next week. I stopped at the body shop to give them some money towards the painting! It was sitting out doors on a rack. I went up and touched a surface that would be hidden and the paint was completely dry. So I touched several other spots and it was completely dry. I went inside and waited for the body shop guy. He had painted it yesterday. He told me that when I dropped it off last week he would try to squeeze it in. He did. I spent the afternoon putting it on. So my car is back together after hitting the Bobcat!
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!
    2019 G4 Wine colored. 'Burgundy'
    130K miles, 37MPG average at 75-80 MPH with A/C and Lights
    I am on the second engine and trans! 4.5 months out of 18 in the shop!
    Not so happy any more!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Fummins,
    . . . . I have read that thread and I find it very confusing. Also a lot of the links to bulbs no longer work. I would like to go to all LEDs starting with my head lights. Any recommendations anyone??
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!
    Not so happy any more!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hello all,
    . . . . Will these work?
    . . . . . . . . https://www.carid.com/2019-mitsubish...211051101.html
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!
    Not so happy any more!

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
    Fummins,
    . . . . I have read that thread and I find it very confusing. Also a lot of the links to bulbs no longer work. I would like to go to all LEDs starting with my head lights. Any recommendations anyone??
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!
    Whoops, I didn't go through the entire thread. I'm sure there are others around here. I plan to swap my headlights to Led's as well.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mechanic - That route is very complex. It doesn't seem like you could do it in a day. I would be sick of driving a manual after that long day on those roads. Me personally, I would hit the interstate and let it drone. 60 mph in 4th is ~3,680 rpm. 65 mph in 4th is ~3,985 rpm. Both of those are very pleasant to listen to from our 3-Tapper. Maybe slap it up in 5th if conditions warrant it.

At 3,680 rpm (60 mph in 4th gear) the engine is able to output 98% of it's maximum torque. That would be at full throttle.
    At 3,985 rpm (65 mph in 4th gear) the engine is able to output ~100% of it's maximum torque. That also would be a full throttle.

Of course at less than full throttle, it is outputting less power. The point being, at those speeds / rpm your going to:

• Maximize the range you can get on a tank.
    • Minimize the amount of time spent driving.
    • I believe you will be minimizing the stress on the powertrain due to holding the system more steady-state.
    • Minimize clutch wear.
    • Minimize your fatigue.

However, you may have reasons you prefer to stay off the interstate. More power to ya!

7milesout

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    . . . . The route is chosen because it is the shortest distance to Columbus, TX. 1,450 miles. If I did all Interstates i would need to go 20 miles North to the Wisconsin Dells to get to I-90/94. I would then head West to Albert Lea, MN to get on I-35 South. going to Des Moines, KC, Oklahoma City, Dallas, to I-45 to Houston, and then I-10 to Columbus! See by taking WI-23 South out of Reedsburg I save 40 miles or so right there. US-151 is a Northeast to Southwest Highway. That saves about 150 miles. By taking US-169 and then US-75 I save another 20 miles or so. In total I save about 200 miles by taking this route. I know for I have driven both of these routes many times.
    . . . . You are correct about the rpm, gear selection, mph, and peak torque! I will run in fifth as much as possible but I do use my gears and engine braking a lot. At 130K I still have over 50% on my front brakes and over 75% on the rear ones. I never replaced the brakes on my RX-3, 323, or Protégé because they had worn out but only because they had rusted away! I have to use the brakes more on the Mirage because this engine doesn't have the braking torque of the other engines.
    . . . . Yes, I want to stay off of the Interstates as much as possible because I only want to drive between 50 and 65. It will take me between two and two and one half days to go one way instead of the usual day and a half. So I will be spending two nights on the road going each direction. Also I won't be able to use my cruise very much. It just can't respond fast enough nor far enough.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!
    Not so happy any more!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Fummins,
    . . . . NP!
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!
    Not so happy any more!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    150 miles saved is more substantial than I had expected. I don't blame you for that. Generally the shorter the route and the slower the speeds, less fuel will be used. Generally, but not always true.

And if you're familiar with all those roads, that makes things more pleasant. Maybe you'll have long periods of time you could cruise along at 55 to 60 mph. I would have to guess doing those speeds in 4th gear, maybe the cruise control could react more effectively.

I do know that when I use cruise (I do a lot) and I am coasting down a hill to the point the ECU goes to fuel cut / open loop / no fuel being injected, that it is slow to pick back up and respond at the bottom of the hill. It usually loses 2 or 3 mph below the set point before it starts getting serious again. If the weight of a trailer exacerbates that, it would be annoying, especially to traffic behind.

In any event, good luck with you on your journeys. Maybe your compression stay high and blowby stay low.

7milesout

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    . . . . And when you multiply that 150-200 miles by 5 that is a substantial amount of savings. Yep, shorter distances and lower speeds equal less fuel used! I will be doing a lot of 55-60 mph driving.
    . . . . I use my cruise a lot. I never had cruise until I got my Mirage. I have experienced the same thing with my Mirage when going downhill. Here in Reedsburg our Main Street is not flat. The speed will drop low enough that the cruise kicks out. I like it because it is easy to maintain the speed limit in town and not have to be concerned about getting stopped for speeding. Of course this won't work in KS where the in town speed limit is 20 mph!
    . . . . Again I really appreciate the support!
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Not so happy any more!