Page 197 of 272 FirstFirst ... 97147187195196197198199207247 ... LastLast
Results 1,961 to 1,970 of 2720

Thread: What did you do to your Mirage today?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lalo64 View Post
    So I'm just writing a quick follow up to my post a couple of weeks ago. I had mentioned how I bought the 175/65 R14 Barums and I was initially impressed with them. After 2 weeks, my opinion has changed on them.

Some of the things I mentioned are still good. The grip is solid, the tread is really deep, and the ride is more comfortable. However, the tire noise is slightly worse than when they were new. But crucially, my MPG absolutely plummeted. On my old 175/65 Kinergy ST, my MPG was 27 city/ 44 hwy. With the Barums, it dropped to 24 city/34 hwy. I was expecting a slight drop in MPG since they are brand new, but I wasn't expecting a 10 mpg drop.

I've been trying to figure out what might have caused it before I throw the blame entirely on the tires. I did change the battery pretty much the same day that I changed my tires (Interstate Size 35 from Costco). Maybe that reset the ECU? Otherwise, though everything else is the same. I'm 4000 miles away from it's next oil/air filter change, I still use the same Costco/Arco Top Tier Gas, and my driving style is about the same.

Anyone have any suggestions? I would like to switch to maybe a smaller 165 Nexen or Kumho. But I don't think I can go back to America's Tires and ask for an exchange, especially since I've already driven them for about 700 miles. But I don't know much about tires, so I'm not sure if reselling/exchanging tires is a thing.
    Are you hand calculating your MPG or using the Display? The Barums are over a half an inch taller. The computer reading wont be correct.

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-31-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    Are you hand calculating your MPG or using the Display? The Barums are over a half an inch taller. The computer reading wont be correct.
    Technically speaking - hand calculating (miles traveled/gallons used) may be off some if your tire size is drastically different, because the mileage per gas tank would be off, too. I am not convinced factory tires are 100% accurate when it comes to these measurements either. 10 mpg less/tank would concern me, too.

If he's comparing his new 175/65r14 tires to his old 175/65r14 Hankook Kinergy ST H735 tires, some of the difference may be worn tires roll better than new ones.

If they were my tires, I would pump them up to 40 psi & see if that helps some.

If you were really happy with the Hankook Kinergy ST tires, they may be cheaper than the 165/65r14 Nexen or Kumho tires. Plus, the Hankook tires have a better UTQG rating.

Tire prices really fluctuate a lot these days.

A larger 175/65r14 Nexen N'Priz AH5 is $60.40 @ Walmart tonight (Hankook is $60.51).

The smaller 165/65r14 Nexen N'Priz AH5 is $80.98. If you like the Hankook, I would consider those.

165/65r14 Kumho Solus TA31 were $55-56/tire, & this week they are $76.30.

I am just using Walmart to compare prices. I am not saying anyone's tires need to be bought there.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-01-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    changed to LED headlight bulbs from hikari see if the stink or not LOL , if they do stock goes back in

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 357sigman For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-01-2022)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I usually hand calculate my MPG. I figure out the difference in the odometer in between fill ups, then divide it by how many gallons it took to top off the tank. I used to do this in a little notebook in the glovebox, then I found an app that does all of it for me including how much I spend on gas (Fuelio).

My Barums are already at 40 psi and it did help a bit, but not much. I don't really feel like pushing any higher since these tires have a max PSI of 44. Based off Dirk's previous post on the Barums, I was ok with a slight drop to my MPG (2-5 mpg), but 10mpg feels like way too much.

I'll see if I can drive a little easier this week and see if I can get my MPG closer to how it was. I've loved my little Mirage and I now regret cheapening out on tires; especially when I plan to run this car for a long time. At least I learned for the next time I need to buy tires, which hopefully won't be any time soon.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Took my Mirage for a very rare dealership visit about 45 minutes away to get my cheap OEM Ebay FAST key programmed and the emergency key cut. Also had the overdue airbag module reflash recall done while I was there.

The key fob took the programming just fine, to my relief. I honestly wasn't sure what I was buying because the fob did not include its emergency key or packaging when I bought it. The seller claimed it had never been programmed before...and it hadn't been. The process took longer than I thought it would, but at $75 was cheaper than I was expecting. They washed the car too, which it needed and I thought was a nice touch. These keys usually cost about $300 plus programming, so to get out the door for less than half of that was great. Only having one key for a car I depend on has bothered me for years. Not that I am going to try to lose any more!

This dealership had a really nice 2000 Honda S2000 and a 2011 Challenger SRT sitting in the showroom where I was waiting. The S2000 was actually rolled out of the showroom doors and test driven while I was there. Completely stock, only 27,000 miles, owned by an elderly couple who kept it garaged. Is it worth $30,000?

PROBABLY!

Nice dealership for service/warranty work, but I don't think I'd ever buy a car from them. Not too many new Mitsus to be seen on the lot, but they did have a white '22 G4 ES manual with an MSRP sticker of about $17,500. I gave it a look just for fun and saw they had added another $5,000 worth of crap bringing the total to over $22,000!

I don't expect a huge discount on a new Mirage nowadays, but I don't expect a nearly 30% markup for PULSE and a pinstripe, either.

Last edited by Cobrajet; 02-01-2022 at 08:07 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-01-2022),Top_Fuel (02-01-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Took my Mirage for a very rare dealership visit about 45 minutes away to get my cheap OEM Ebay FAST key programmed and the emergency key cut. Also had the overdue airbag module reflash recall done while I was there.

The key fob took the programming just fine, to my relief. I honestly wasn't sure what I was buying because the fob did not include its emergency key or packaging when I bought it. The seller claimed it had never been programmed before...and it hadn't been. The process took longer than I thought it would, but at $75 was cheaper than I was expecting. They washed the car too, which it needed and I thought was a nice touch. These keys usually cost about $300 plus programming, so to get out the door for less than half of that was great. Only having one key for a car I depend on has bothered me for years. Not that I am going to try to lose any more!

This dealership had a really nice 2000 Honda S2000 and a 2011 Challenger SRT sitting in the showroom where I was waiting. The S2000 was actually rolled out of the showroom doors and test driven while I was there. Completely stock, only 27,000 miles, owned by an elderly couple who kept it garaged. Is it worth $30,000?

PROBABLY!

Nice dealership for service/warranty work, but I don't think I'd ever buy a car from them. Not too many new Mitsus to be seen on the lot, but they did have a white '22 G4 ES manual with an MSRP sticker of about $17,500. I gave it a look just for fun and saw they had added another $5,000 worth of crap bringing the total to over $22,000!

I don't expect a huge discount on a new Mirage nowadays, but I don't expect a nearly 30% markup for PULSE and a pinstripe, either.
    I would feel better having a second key or fob, too. Sounds like they were reasonable in programming it for you, and getting the air bag issue addressed at the same time makes it even more worthwhile.

The car wash offer after having service done is a nice perk. My closest Subaru dealer has been doing that for some time. They give you a token for a place down the street that has a large staff that vacuums your vehicle and takes it through their car wash for you, & a couple guys wipe it down with towels afterwards. We don't have anything like that in my hometown area.

White Bear has their own automatic car wash. I have only been there once. I stopped there while heading out to North Dakota for a fishing trip a few years ago. I had the air bag recall work done. I spent nothing @ White Bear, & I was still given a free car wash. Little things like that are a nice touch!

I would consider two Mirages for $22,000, but not one.

It's hard to believe a few years ago that buying two for $22,000 OTD was possible. It will be interesting to see if the discounts come back some day.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (02-02-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I usually hand calculate my MPG. I figure out the difference in the odometer in between fill ups, then divide it by how many gallons it took to top off the tank. I used to do this in a little notebook in the glovebox, then I found an app that does all of it for me including how much I spend on gas (Fuelio).

My Barums are already at 40 psi and it did help a bit, but not much. I don't really feel like pushing any higher since these tires have a max PSI of 44. Based off Dirk's previous post on the Barums, I was ok with a slight drop to my MPG (2-5 mpg), but 10mpg feels like way too much.

I'll see if I can drive a little easier this week and see if I can get my MPG closer to how it was. I've loved my little Mirage and I now regret cheapening out on tires; especially when I plan to run this car for a long time. At least I learned for the next time I need to buy tires, which hopefully won't be any time soon.
    Ok, you are definitely doing it right. It was my mistake earlier on the height difference as I thought you were comparing with the OE 165/65s. You have unfortunately learned that all tires are definitely not created equal. However, not all is lost. When an official tire test is performed, the tires are always given a break in period usually of 1000 miles. You would be surprised how much might change as Spring comes and temps go up and you accumulate miles. No guarantees though Keep us posted!
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-01-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

This is the only accurate way to calculate MPG.... 1 tank at a time. I only use the dash mpg readout as a running indicator of mileage, or in conjunction with the tach and gas pedal, a guide to driving efficiently. Using this method, you can maximise mileage as good as short shifting a five speed manual transmission. And, as a whole, the cvt gets better mileage than the manual. I calculate the per-tank mileage on my phone while at the pump.

Before all the "I would never buy a manual" fan boys chime in......this is my first automatic in 50 years of car ownership. It seems to be a good one. But, I still miss the action of a manual! Except in a traffic jam.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wil B View Post
    And, as a whole, the cvt gets better mileage than the manual. I calculate the per-tank mileage on my phone while at the pump.
    On paper, the CVT claims to have a better mpg rating than the manual, but I have never seen any real data that supports that.

Take a look at the forum driving logs over the past years -

https://mirageforum.com/forum/emgarage.php

Those who have averages below 40 mpg seem to be mostly CVT owners (not all). Many (not all) of the above 40 mpg averages seem to 5-speed manual owners.

I am not convinced the CVT outperforms the manual when it comes economy, even though that claim is made by the manufacturer.

Most of the 45+ mpg averages are 5-speed manuals not the CVT according to the data. Members share low CVT mpg ratings on the forum all the time that I never see with my manual. I only hand calculate at the pump. I realize everyone's style of driving is different, and that is a huge factor. I have just never heard anyone with a CVT share any mpg data that made me go "WOW"!

I have no answer to that one. I assume most extreme hypermilers drive 5speeds and lazy people like myself drive automatics. I haven't driven a manual car in years

I've gotten as good as 48.7mpg for one tank then 45.5mpg on the next tank last fall https://www.fuelly.com/car/mitsubish...dually/1054815

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)