Page 24 of 271 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to your Mirage today?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I killed my battery!

I was out working on the Mirage yesterday testing out the glove box light mod I've been working on. I had it setup all nice since it was 4F outside. I had an electric heater going inside the car and it was about 35F in there. However, when I went inside, I thought I would be going back out and forgot to take the key out of the ignition, and it was in the 'on' position. I didn't notice because I turned off all the bits that would indicate it was on so I wouldn't drain the battery...

So, its on the charger right now. Hopefully I didn't toast it for good.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I wore out my rear brake shoes!

Started hearing a little grating coming from the back earlier this week. It was a LOT of grating today. I had planned to change them the next time I did the front brakes but I didn't quite make it.

Hope I didn't roach out the drums because they are as expensive as hell to buy new, but if I did there is a wrecked one about 30 minutes south of me at a boneyard. New Raybestos brakes shoes are on the way.

Got 83k out of them, so I guess I can't complain!

Mirage G4 SE
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  6C1B7E16-BECE-4A42-B635-42925C1EBEF2.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  91.7 KB

Installed my OEM 2017 Mirage G4 SE Side Sill Rocker Moldings in Wine Red. Were pretty easy to install. The clip up into the frame in 6 undercarriage holes and one round clip. Then it also clips in place with one of the front inner wheel well wplash guargs clips. Then all along the edging it is help in place by 3am adhesive tape. I used the 3am adhesion promoter wipes before sticking the tape so it got and extra good bond as I noticed some installed on dealer lots let lose at the rear door area so I didnt want mine doing that. They make a huge difference on the G4 and look extra nice with my OEM Mirage Bodyside Moldings also.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mirage ES Navi For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (01-05-2018),Daox (01-05-2018)

Mirage G4 SE
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  14A8B679-F99E-4874-9BF7-3EEDA41479C2.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  85.8 KB

This is a before pic without the Side Sill Skirts Installed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirage ES Navi For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-05-2018)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeYourSOUL View Post
    Just received package from China, can't wait to install it.
    Attachment 9891

It's not perfect fit, there's gap between panels but love the look
    Attachment 9897
    can you pm me on where you found those??

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Swarthy got a new deep cycle battery last night because I killed the OE starting battery.

Swarthy's new battery

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Replaced rear brake shoes and drums! The originals made it to about 80,000. If you are approaching this mileage and haven't done your rear brakes, you should probably think about it. Unfortunately, I decided to wait until about 84,000 miles to replace mine. Keep in mind all my driving is stop-and-go. They were metal-to-metal on the driver's side, grinding and grating.

DRUM. BRAKES. I really don't know why this archaic 1930s technology still exists in cars this far into the 21st century. I know these cars are cheap, but come on! I have always hated working on drums.

I went with Raybestos 1059PG brake shoes. They were $26 on Ebay. I found some used rear hubs at a wrecking yard. The donor car had been run hard into a telephone pole. It had the same build date as mine, and a VIN that was only 70 units off, so I was confident of the interchange. They were $45 each. Before you scoff, go try to find aftermarket ones. Then price NEW ones. However, if you haven't let your brakes get as bad as mine did you should not need to replace the drums.

First thing to do, obviously, is jack up the car, secure it safely, and remove the rear wheel. Next, remove the hub nut dust cap with a screwdriver and hammer. These can be tricky to get off. Under the dust cap you will find an unstaked, self-locking, 30mm (?) nut. It's on tight. I removed mine pretty easily with a breaker bar and cheater pipe.

After that, the hub should just slide off of the stub axle. Be sure the parking brake is OFF! Here is what I found...

OUCH. Drum is totally wasted. Everything else is covered in a thick crust of worn brake material and metal shavings. Lots of brake parts cleaner and brass brushes resulted in this...

Synthetic lube in the right places...

The pin on the e-brake lever that goes through the brake shoe wouldn't fit. The hole in the new shoe was a few thousandths too small. I had to do a little work with a rat-tail file. Notice the pink lube about halfway down on the e-brake lever. I saw some wear there and figured I'd put a little lube on it.

New brake parts!

Passenger side wasn't nearly as bad...

More new brake parts!

With a little fiddling, both hubs slid right back on after resetting the adjusters. I didn't need to mess with the e-brake cable, as I had not adjusted it before to compensate for wear. Hub nuts are re-torqued to 129 ft/lbs. I didn't see the need to replace these nuts, but if you do the part number is MB584600.

Special thanks to Top Fuel for posting this picture of the rear brake assembly in its as-new state. It was VERY helpful on reassembly.

Last edited by Cobrajet; 01-09-2018 at 06:00 AM.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

01-7700 (01-09-2018),Eggman (01-09-2018),Marklovski (01-09-2018),MetroMPG (01-09-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Replaced rear brake shoes and drums! The originals made it to about 80,000.
    Nice write-up and pictures Cobrajet. I like that it's detailed, yet direct and to the point as I find it's easy to get lost in too much detail. This ought to be a thread of it's own.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Nice write-up and pictures Cobrajet. I like that it's detailed, yet direct and to the point as I find it's easy to get lost in too much detail. This ought to be a thread of it's own.
    Thanks! It's not really a full tutorial, but may be helpful to those wondering if they want to tackle rear drum brakes. I will try to repost it under "Wheels, Brakes, Tires & Suspension".

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-09-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    DRUM. BRAKES. I really don't know why this archaic 1930s technology still exists in cars this far into the 21st century.
    I LOVE rear drums!!

1) Less brake drag = better fuel economy.

2) No exposure of the friction surface & components to the weather = less likely to corrode and sieze and wear out prematurely. This is especially a concern for people like me who (A) live in the rust belt and (B) don't drive a lot and (C) are easy on brakes.

3) No need for periodic lubrication (of caliper pins/sliders -- see above).

4) From a performance (heat dissipation) angle, you don't need rear discs on a 2k lbs economy car.

I've never worn out a set of discs from regular use, but I've replaced many (plus a few calipers) form being ruined by corrosion.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

01-7700 (01-09-2018)