Page 267 of 268 FirstFirst ... 167217257265266267268 LastLast
Results 2,661 to 2,670 of 2675

Thread: What did you do to your Mirage today?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,654 Times in 2,082 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    On Saturday, (2/3) the conditions were about as good as they could be for this time of the year. So I went for the wheel painting. My "before" pictures are not so great, as I couldn't fathom how said pictures would turn out (after developing ).

I can't 100% tell (old eyes), but are you still using the factory lug nuts. If so, are you going to splurge & buy some fancy chrome or black ones some day?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,326 Times in 963 Posts
    Yes and yes. The original ones look a bit crusty. I'm going to get some fancy chrome ones. I hand procured some from an unnamed vehicle plant (THE HYUNDAI PLANT) and used them on the Scamp years and years ago. I think that's what it was ... timing, no maybe it was my 93 RX7. Anyway, I'd like to get some more like that, at the same price.

However, since the wheel painting, this thing feels even more like a racecar. Due to the massive mass elimination of removing the wheel covers, the mpg, acceleration, top speed, and road course handling have increased significantly. When I start slipping the clutch to go, it feels like it's going to scoot out from underneath me! And, if the Blueberry could talk, I'd bet it would be saying, "how about a few laps around Road Atlanta?" And I would agree with that sentiment. Adding big fancy lug nuts might tend to slow it back down, so I dunno, we'll see if I do that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Yes and yes. The original ones look a bit crusty. I'm going to get some fancy chrome ones. I hand procured some from an unnamed vehicle plant (THE HYUNDAI PLANT) and used them on the Scamp years and years ago. I think that's what it was ... timing, no maybe it was my 93 RX7. Anyway, I'd like to get some more like that, at the same price.

However, since the wheel painting, this thing feels even more like a racecar. Due to the massive mass elimination of removing the wheel covers, the mpg, acceleration, top speed, and road course handling have increased significantly. When I start slipping the clutch to go, it feels like it's going to scoot out from underneath me! And, if the Blueberry could talk, I'd bet it would be saying, "how about a few laps around Road Atlanta?" And I would agree with that sentiment. Adding big fancy lug nuts might tend to slow it back down, so I dunno, we'll see if I do that.
    I'm pretty disappointed to see you didn't go with blue wheels and tires...I'm positive that you could have picked up an easy 27hp by doing so. Trust me

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

jrad235 (02-12-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,758 Times in 2,083 Posts
    It's not too late to go pick up a can of blue...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The total cost for the paint supplies going with blue was a skosh over $45. I saved over $3 going with black...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)

Well, that makes sense.

I pushed snow up against my car today. It hasn't moved much lately.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nice job. It looks like you cough the wheel BEFORE they needed a lot of prep work. Hope the paint jobs lasts for you.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It should. I could always redo it. The car has almost 40k miles. And 3.5 years of service.

I've been wanting to get some "after" pictures, with the car posing. But the weather has been rather crappy since that day I painted them.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wanted to mention, I just did a trip north to Chattanooga over this weekend. While on the interstate, the car sped along smooth as butter. It's really amazing just how great this little machine is.

I don't think I noticed this smoothness before. Which makes me wonder ... I wonder if those cheapie wheel covers might have been throwing off the balance just a skosh. Not enough to complain about. They balanced these with the wheel covers off. And now I'm running them with no covers.

So adding them back on after a balance, could throw the balance off somewhat. I'm certain as cheap as they were, that they were made from cheap chinesium in Chinania. Been there a few times, in manufacturing plants. I'm not going to disrespect them. In a lot of ways, they're are more capitalistic than we are. And they are cowboys in their manufacturing plants. They do what they got to do to get the job done. Cut corners, cut fingers, cut necks ... doesn't matter, safety be-damned. They have billions more fingers and necks. But they do it CHEEEEEP.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    2015 ES with about 100 K rebuilt driver rear wheel cylinder, leaking, because I could not get the break line off and replaced both front marker lights with 195 bulbs factory are w5w bulbs.