Page 37 of 271 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787137 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to your Mirage today?

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    R1 Concepts

For 2014-2015 Mitsubishi Mirage Front eLine Slotted Brake Rotors+Ceramic Pads https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CDP4CTL..._Y0hHCb2A77SXC

Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    Routine maintenance at local dealership
    Name:  WhatsApp Image 2019-03-10 at 09.09.43.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  97.3 KB

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FreeYourSOUL For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-21-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Checked my A/C’s refridgerant charge (1st time in 4 years). It was a little low so I added about 1/2 a can. Compressor seems quieter now and the A/C does seem to blow colder air. I use A/C so rarely here but for those 2 days a year it’s really nice to have.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    How do you check the charge? I tried researching it for the Mirage but having difficulty.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    How do you check the charge? I tried researching it for the Mirage but having difficulty.
    Some of the better r134a canisters have gauges that show charge level. Follow the directions, start the car with the A/C on max and let it run or drive it so that it’s at operating temp. Shake the can vigorously for a couple of minutes while the car is running. Leave the car running with the A/C on. Open the hood and locate the Low Port on the A/C lines (aluminum tubes on passenger side of the engine compartment). The Low port is located on the firewall. It is a black screw on cap with a raised “L” embossed on it. Unscrew the cap and make sure you don’t lose it (the attachment of the hose to the port DOES NOT have threads. It uses a spring loaded locking seal to attach to the port. If you’ve ever used a air compressor and disconnected and reconnected different tools to your air line then you’re familiar with this type of connector). Attach the hose with the gauge to the can and now connect to the Low Port. The car is still running but at first you’ll want to see what your A/C charge level is. Watch the gauge and note how low the level drops when the compressor kicks in. If after observing a couple of compressor cycles you determine that the charge level is too low then when the compressor is running give it a 3-5 second shot of refridgerant. You’ll see the gauge rise. Let it cycle a couple of more compressor cycles and check it again. Repeat until your levels rise to the “normal” range while the compressor is running. Remember to leave the car running and A/C on max during this. Once your levels are better, disconnect the hose from the Low Port, put the cap back on and you’re done. Hope this helps, it’s a little long winded.
    Last edited by inuvik; 03-10-2019 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Corrected syntax

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-10-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Not long winded at all thank you for your time.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Not long winded at all thank you for your time.
    Worth noting that Mirages do not come filled with cheap, commonly available R134a. Instead, they come with the new R1234yf refrigerant, which is supposed to keep the sky from falling down or spontaneously combusting in 100 years...or something.

It is much more expensive. And highly corrosive. And very flammable. And the Germans have refused to use it. Additionally, it is actually illegal to put R134 into a system originally filled with R1234yf.

For some reason, Mitsubishi ONLY puts this stuff in the Mirage.

Unlike the switch from R12 to R134A, these two refrigerants are apparently compatible with each other. But I thought they had different service fittings?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-21-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Worth noting that Mirages do not come filled with cheap, commonly available R134a. Instead, they come with the new R1234yf refrigerant, which is supposed to keep the sky from falling down or spontaneously combusting in 100 years...or something.

It is much more expensive. And highly corrosive. And very flammable. And the Germans have refused to use it. Additionally, it is actually illegal to put R134 into a system originally filled with R1234yf.

For some reason, Mitsubishi ONLY puts this stuff in the Mirage.

Unlike the switch from R12 to R134A, these two refrigerants are apparently compatible with each other. But I thought they had different service fittings?
    R12 and R134 do use different fittings. They sell retrofit adapters. https://www.amazon.ca/Fitting-Adapte.../dp/B01M0LF5MM

As for the being filled with 1234, don't believe everything you read on the interweb.... The 15' and 17's we have use 134a as per the sticker under the hood of the car. I'd upload pics but I'm too dumb to figure out the mobile site. https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...Ac-not-working

To somewhat stay on topic, Today I cleaned and relocated another corroded connector on a 17' with 76k kms. I was in a rush and hoped the low washer light would go out. It didn't, I'll end up cutting out the connector and soldering everything together tonight instead. At least the 17's don't have as many wires to join.
    Last edited by Fummins; 03-21-2019 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Found a post, looks like you've posted 3 times about the 1234 lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (03-22-2019),Eggman (03-21-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    R12 and R134 do use different fittings. They sell retrofit adapters. https://www.amazon.ca/Fitting-Adapte.../dp/B01M0LF5MM

As for the being filled with 1234, don't believe everything you read on the interweb.... The 15' and 17's we have use 134a as per the sticker under the hood of the car. I'd upload pics but I'm too dumb to figure out the mobile site. https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...Ac-not-working

To somewhat stay on topic, Today I cleaned and relocated another corroded connector on a 17' with 76k kms. I was in a rush and hoped the low washer light would go out. It didn't, I'll end up cutting out the connector and soldering everything together tonight instead. At least the 17's don't have as many wires to join.

Yep.. my 17' Service Manual definitely says R-134a

(blank signature)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (03-22-2019),Eggman (03-22-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    As for the being filled with 1234, don't believe everything you read on the interweb.... The 15' and 17's we have use 134a as per the sticker under the hood of the car.

Well, I'll be damned. Happy to be wrong about this one! Paying $10 per pound for R134A if I spring a leak sounds way better than $70+ per pound for the new stuff (if you can find it). I wonder why nearly every site pertaining to refrigerants has this wrong?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-22-2019)