Page 57 of 271 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to your Mirage today?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timw4mail View Post
    ~1500 W seems like an awful lot for a car to handle for any amount of time...
    I'm convinced that dual batteries and possible dual alternators are required to run the amp and radio for extended time periods in a car. The amp is certainly sold as suitable for mobile use but after my experiment I envision use in an RV with a 20kw generator as a more realistic situation.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Had to get the wrench because dealer put last one on too tight.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Not sure how you guys get the filter from the top, my forearm doesn't fit any area from the top.
    Also you shouldn't need a filter wrench. Make sure to put a dab of oil on the new gasket and tighten it down hard by hand and that's all you need. Should be able to get it off by hand when needed. I get it from the bottom way better leverage
    It's quite obvious from all the discussion on this, the oil filter can be taken off from the top or bottom.

I prefer to take it off from the top with a wrench. You are correct about leverage. I would rather stand on my feet and remove an oil filter from above verses being on my back underneath it.

If you prefer doing it from the bottom by hand, there is surely nothing wrong with that. If I had a lift, I may even do it that way. I find standing in front & removing it from the top so much easier. You are correct about leverage, however. I can't grab it well enough to crank it on or off. A simple oil filter socket and stubby racket changes all that. I have the tools, & I am going to use them. I would have never gotten the factory one off by hand either.

If you do it front the top, I agree an oil socket wrench may be necessary. If you don't have that, you can surely crawl under your car & take it off from underneath. I love cars that allow me to remove an oil filter from the top. As far as I am concerned the Mirage is one of those cars.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Took it out to the car wash; just in time to get rain tomorrow and snow the day after. ��

Put some stickers on too.

Can't wait for warm weather to do everything else on the Todo list

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Finally got my private plates back after some Dick Head dealer bollicksed up the transfer. Cost me another quarter (£250) to get it back.
    Do I want to spank him? Yes I fcuking do.Name:  IMG_20200227_224724202.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  84.3 KB

I bottomed out the front suspension on a bad frost heave on the highway yesterday, left front. Does that count as doing something? That's a first for this car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I bottomed out the front suspension on a bad frost heave on the highway yesterday, left front. Does that count as doing something? That's a first for this car.
    I feel the Mirage has a pretty decent ride for a cheap, small economy car. Like you Darin, I feel the Mirage has a pretty good ride.

I also hit those frost heaves to fast at times. I've hit a few recently myself Thus, I understand what Chad is referring, too! When the front bottoms out, it sounds/feels horrible.

Yup - there's going to be more where that one came from. It's that time of year around here when the roads come apart.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Yup - there's going to be more where that one came from. It's that time of year around here when the roads come apart.
    A stiffer suspension would probably help eliminate some of the blow to the front end, but then we would be complaining about the overall ride quality on rough roads. For a small car with a short wheelbase, the Mirage handles small bumps quite well in my opinion. The large bumps or potholes is another story, however.

The suspension discussion would be similar to a low profile vs high profile tire discussion. One driving characteristic gets traded for another. I wouldn't mind a slightly stiffer suspension on a Mirage, but I don't care enough to change anything.

Another thing I like about the soft suspension is it lets me run a higher tire pressure comfortably. LRRrrrrrrrrrr.

I'm going to be in for a surprise when I get into the Miata this summer.