Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: first post, got some questions about the mirage (hatch vs sedan)?

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

first post, got some questions about the mirage (hatch vs sedan)?

Hello Everyone, Fabs here from montreal. While not new to Mitsubishi (previously had an Endeavour and before that an Eagle Talon (part mitsubishi)), i've been looking around at possible new(used) car options. As much as i like my older lexus RX350, with the rising gas prices, i find my gas expense is getting up there (get about 510km/week and fill about 70L of premium gas).
    I keep coming back to video reviews of these cool cars, they just catch my eye.

I guess my first question would be about interior/trunk space. From what i have seen in reviews, it seems that the G4 sedan has a bit more, over the hatchbacks...is this true?

We are family of 4, and while this car would be the daily "grocery-getter", we would also use it on trips. That said, if we are 4 people with some luggage on a road trip...do you think this car would be up to the task?

In terms of transmission, i would personally go for the 5 speed (which i think would help on a small car); however, my wife doesn't know how to drive manual....so how does the auto (cvt) drive?

lastly..fuel consumption...from what i gathered...the tank holds about 9 Gallons (34L) of gas? if so, what milages (mixed driving) have you been getting on a full tank, how long does it last you? and does it take regular gas?

thank you so much and hope to hear from you soon.
    fab

2. The Following User Says Thank You to fabchef For This Useful Post:

Fummins (Yesterday)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Welcome!
    For gas mileage, check out the Fuel Economy Log on this site. Personally I'm regularly beating the advertised fuel consumption, but I mostly drive on 80 km highway. Generally mt is better on gas. It takes regular gas. For an overnight trip where some luggage is required, we take my wife's car, a Subaru Forester (for a family of four). There is very little trunk space in the hatchback - you could mount a roof rack and carry luggage there, but I find the car is already quite tall. Hopefully I answered most of your questions, but I'm sure others will also chime in

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.9 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    I don't know about the trunk of the G4, they don't sell them here.
    I had various Suzuki Swift in 4 door hatch and in the longer saloon 4 door versions. The saloon version like the G4 had a trunk, but it was of little use. I could get a fridge into the smaller hatchback, but not into the trunk of the saloon version. Its not just about total space, its also about how the space is fragmented or not. In total, the space in the hatch was much more practical. On vacation I could take more luggage along in the hatch, although it was much smaller.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fabchef View Post
    Hello Everyone, Fabs here from montreal. While not new to Mitsubishi (previously had an Endeavour and before that an Eagle Talon (part mitsubishi)), i've been looking around at possible new(used) car options. As much as i like my older lexus RX350, with the rising gas prices, i find my gas expense is getting up there (get about 510km/week and fill about 70L of premium gas).

I guess my first question would be about interior/trunk space. From what i have seen in reviews, it seems that the G4 sedan has a bit more, over the hatchbacks...is this true?

We are family of 4, and while this car would be the daily "grocery-getter", we would also use it on trips. That said, if we are 4 people with some luggage on a road trip...do you think this car would be up to the task?

In terms of transmission, i would personally go for the 5 speed (which i think would help on a small car); however, my wife doesn't know how to drive manual....so how does the auto (cvt) drive?

lastly..fuel consumption...from what i gathered...the tank holds about 9 Gallons (34L) of gas? if so, what milages (mixed driving) have you been getting on a full tank, how long does it last you? and does it take regular gas?

fab
    If you are going to be hauling 4 people then the G4 is the way to go. There is more leg room for the rear seat passengers and the trunk is good sized. But Mitsubishi dropped the G4 from the Canadian lineup so it's probably used only at this point.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

defensivetackle99 (Yesterday),Fummins (Yesterday)

Bienvenue, Fabs...

There is a TON of rear seat space in the G4. More rear legroom than my folks' old Camry!

^ This pic is me "sitting behind myself" in the G4 with the front seat adjusted for me (I'm 5'10").

See: Darin's test drive review notes: 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage G4 sedan CVT

I would say yes. But also note that the base trim did not have a folding rear seatback, which limits some cargo options.

The CVT is pleasant to drive, if you don't drive aggressively. It's programmed for fuel efficiency, so it's always seeking the lowest engine RPM, which makes for a surprisingly serene drive. But if you floor it, the engine revs high and stays high & loud until you back off the gas. Lots of auto reviewers hate CVTs for this reason, but I generally drive with a light foot for best economy, so they don't bother me.

Personally, I'd get the 5-speed for the slightly better fuel economy (real world is better than the CVT despite the official ratings). Also a manual will probably have better long-term durability.

That said, finding a 5-speed G4 might be a challenge.

Yes, regular gas. Fuel economy is great. It can be spectacular if you drive it right, in the right kind of environment. I mostly drive on rural back roads, and I can get silly numbers from my Mirage hatchback. I just did a road trip to Toronto and driving in the right lane with the trucks, I saw about 4.6L 100/km round trip.

As suggested, look at numbers in our fuel log: https://mirageforum.com/forum/emgarage.php

Also I did a test comparing the G4 to an older Civic hybrid. The G4's economy was as good or better when driven in the same manner:

Thread: 2017 Mirage sedan vs. 2009 Civic hybrid MPG showdown!

Any other questions, let us know. And keep us posted on your decision!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (Yesterday)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

fab
    @OP,

I have the G4. I am on my 2nd G4 (CVT). My first G4 was the 5 speed.

Re: G4 CVT vs G4 5 speed, well it more of a preference. I love em both. The difference is day and night. That being said my recommendation for you is to test drive em first to see if either one is livable for you and your wife.

Re: MPG, Both get identical MPG from my experience though the CVT get 1-2 less MPG than 5 speed. The difference is so small that it not worth fretting on..

My G4 is primarily a family hauler. I have 2 children to haul on about and occasionally my nephew join us to destination. Plus me being a solo commuter to places with more room available in the back plus the trunk. I have the Highlander V6 (similar to RX350) and it gets used as sparingly due to it being a gas hog seriously, 15 MPG. No bueno. The G4 is the answer to my needs to get by unlike the hatchback that cannot comfortably fit family of 4.

And I have no problem taking my family to places far and far away via hwy on my G4. I had done it in several occasions.

The G4 is less popular than the hatchback. I have seen more hatchback variant daily in LA but not the G4.

Edit: Lastly, worth noting the point below:.

the G4 ES, LE, and BE trim level requires a physical key to open the trunk. There is no physical button of the trunk release on the key fob to do so. There is not even a handle to open the trunk. This get old really fast and annoying even though the trunk release lever is located below the driver seat but it already becoming impractical. The top trim level called SE has that trunk release capability. That’s one of my biggest criticisms of the G4.
    Last edited by defensivetackle99; Yesterday at 03:27 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Inuvik said it best especially for those prospective US buyer lurking here. Didn’t notice OP was from CAN.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hi gang, thank you so much for the warm welcome and info on these cool cars. From the looks of it, the G4 might be a better bet for a family hauler. As i mentioned, i would prefer the manual over cvt. I also think the trunk space on the sedan is more than the hatchback.

Metro...bonjour, sa va bien? Thanks for the rear legroom pic. I'm almost same height as you, glad to see there is good legroom!

Defensive...yes these V6 Toyota/Lexus's drink like fish! While they are good/reliable cars, they are not economical. I don't know if it would be worth keeping it as a backup?

As for trunk, i know it sucks to have to use a key, but i think i can live with it.
    On the plus side, i'm happy that you need a physical key to start the car...I absolutely love that! Have that on my lexus too.

Forgot to ask, from the few videos i've seen...do these cars do well in snow? Here in the Q-C, we are obliged to have dedicated winter tires, and we are allowed studded tires in winter!

Thanks
    Fab

Hi gang, thank you so much for the warm welcome and info on these cool cars. From the looks of it, the G4 might be a better bet for a family hauler. As i mentioned, i would prefer the manual over cvt. I also think the trunk space on the sedan is more than the hatchback.

Metro...bonjour, sa va bien? Thanks for the rear legroom pic. I'm almost same height as you, glad to see there is good legroom!

Defensive...yes these V6 Toyota/Lexus's drink like fish! While they are good/reliable cars, they are not economical. I don't know if it would be worth keeping it as a backup?

As for trunk, i know it sucks to have to use a key, but i think i can live with it.
    On the plus side, i'm happy that you need a physical key to start the car...I absolutely love that! Have that on my lexus too.

Forgot to ask, from the few videos i've seen...do these cars do well in snow? Here in the Q-C, we are obliged to have dedicated winter tires, and we are allowed studded tires in winter!

Thanks
    Fab
    They're fine in the snow. I maintain a pile of them(30+) in central Alberta and only recall one being stuck in a deep snowdrift on a backroad about 4-5 years ago. The traction control isn't too intrusive and the stability control works well to straighten out the car if the back end kicks out around a corner(in slush or ice). But it can be a buzz-kill if you're trying or expecting it to kick out and the car goes into nanny mode...
    Check out some of my Mirage video's if you haven't yet! There's a bunch of other members on the forum that have Mirage video's as well like Jonnymullet and Mohamed.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Fummins, thanks for the info. I really don't like the nanny system's on cars, in general. I remember the first time I experienced it was with my wife's passat wagon. It scared me, when i wanted to accelerate, to get out of a sticky situation, and the engine speed cut out, because of wheel slippage. Hated it.
    Other thing that bugs be are tpms's, i check the pressure of the tires often, no need for sensors, that eventually turn on the light, because the batteries on the sensors are gone.

I've seen Jonnymullet's video's and it was those video's that peaked my interest into these cars. I found his videos to be honest, straightforward and with the consumers perspective (unlike a lot of other reviews that bash it for no reason).
    Fab