Page 230 of 272 FirstFirst ... 130180220228229230231232240 ... LastLast
Results 2,291 to 2,300 of 2720

Thread: What did you do to your Mirage today?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atras View Post
    Yup the wheel is very heavy to turn when not moving but very light when already in motion
    Atras, when you are at a stop and turning your steering wheel, at least let off the brakes. Now, don't get me wrong, if you're on a hill and letting go of the brakes will cause your car to roll into a herd of infants crawling across the street, by all means, hold the brakes. I'm considering instances of being on flat ground, where the car won't roll. Of course I'm also thinking about a manual transmission. I'm not sure if the CVT pulls when in gear, then maybe the brakes will need to be held. In any event, I let the car roll slowly (slipping the clutch or just easing off the brake in an automagic),

Due to castor geometry of the front suspension, even if the car is at a dead stop, and the steering wheel is turned, the front tires very slightly roll (opposite direction to each other). If you hold the brakes while doing that, it's actually skidding / sliding / dragging the tires. Not a huge deal, but it's easier to turn the steering wheel (and thus easier on the whole steering system) to let off the brakes to allow the front wheels to roll a bit when fully stopped.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    It feels vague.
    Oh yeah, there's that. I can see that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Atras, when you are at a stop and turning your steering wheel, at least let off the brakes. Now, don't get me wrong, if you're on a hill and letting go of the brakes will cause your car to roll into a herd of infants crawling across the street, by all means, hold the brakes. I'm considering instances of being on flat ground, where the car won't roll. Of course I'm also thinking about a manual transmission. I'm not sure if the CVT pulls when in gear, then maybe the brakes will need to be held. In any event, I let the car roll slowly (slipping the clutch or just easing off the brake in an automagic),

Due to castor geometry of the front suspension, even if the car is at a dead stop, and the steering wheel is turned, the front tires very slightly roll (opposite direction to each other). If you hold the brakes while doing that, it's actually skidding / sliding / dragging the tires. Not a huge deal, but it's easier to turn the steering wheel (and thus easier on the whole steering system) to let off the brakes to allow the front wheels to roll a bit when fully stopped.

Two similar/same cars (engines running) with & without power steering would feel quite different.

I have kids cranking steering wheels while during 3-point turns (Y-turns) & 2-point turns (driveway turn around). It would be more of a challenge if the Impala didn't have power steering. I would surely encourage them to do more of the steering while the wheels are rolling slowly versus stopped if that were the case. Power steering is working harder at a stop. If your car doesn't have power steering, you're the one working harder at a stop.
    Last edited by Mark; 02-22-2023 at 04:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I am not sure I followed all that? I would read it again, but it hurts my brain.

Two similar/same cars (engines running) with & without power steering would feel quite different.

I have kids cranking steering wheels while during 3-point turns (Y-turns) & 2-point turns (driveway turn around). It would be more of a challenge if the Impala didn't have power steering. I would surely encourage them to do more of the steering while the wheels are rolling slowly versus stopped if that were the case. Power steering is working harder at a stop. If your car doesn't have power steering, you're the one working harder at a stop.
    I find the same thing as 7milesout with my stinky dodge. There isn't much for power assist when you want it the most while stopped. Makes hooking up to a trailer a pita at times when you want to crank the wheels but can't.
    They are pretty much impossible to steer without the engine running while stopped. At least the 3 that I've owned are like that.

The Mirage has overkill power assist. With the wheels on the ground it's still relatively easy to turn them by using the steering wheel or just grab a wheel and twist it(if it's on a smooth concrete floor).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    CVT Fluid replaced in January, and today I had four new tires put on. So that they all match: Falken Sincera! Also a new Thule UpRide rack for the roof!
    When spring comes along it'll be a safe bet that I'll perform another oil change for the motor.
    Last edited by Dookaughs; 02-22-2023 at 12:03 AM.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I find the same thing as 7milesout with my stinky dodge. There isn't much for power assist when you want it the most while stopped. Makes hooking up to a trailer a pita at times when you want to crank the wheels but can't.
    They are pretty much impossible to steer without the engine running while stopped. At least the 3 that I've owned are like that.

The Mirage has overkill power assist. With the wheels on the ground it's still relatively easy to turn them by using the steering wheel or just grab a wheel and twist it(if it's on a smooth concrete floor).
    Unfortunately I think my car really has steerimg problem, must be why it was sold by the original owner.

Steering suddenly gets stiff when I am trying to park.

Unfortunately I think my car really has steerimg problem, must be why it was sold by the original owner.

Steering suddenly gets stiff when I am trying to park.
    That doesn't sound right. I wonder if these things were ever sold without power steering? I know there were a lot of changes across the world like some places have shorter rear bumpers and don't have a crash bar, don't have amber reflectors in the sides of headlights and other cost cutting things that aren't necessary.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    That doesn't sound right. I wonder if these things were ever sold without power steering? I know there were a lot of changes across the world like some places have shorter rear bumpers and don't have a crash bar, don't have amber reflectors in the sides of headlights and other cost cutting things that aren't necessary.
    Mine should have an EPS. I doubt they will release a top trim without power steering.

This offten happens when I am about to park.

And after a 30 minute drive I wil here a thumping sound like a very dull engine knock but it goes away a bit when you crank the steering all the way to lock thumping will get interupted for a few seconds every time you jamm the wheel to the left.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Mine should have an EPS. I doubt they will release a top trim without power steering.

This offten happens when I am about to park.

And after a 30 minute drive I wil here a thumping sound like a very dull engine knock but it goes away a bit when you crank the steering all the way to lock thumping will get interupted for a few seconds every time you jamm the wheel to the left.
    Any time something electrical doesn't work what do they tell you to check first?

Quote -
    "Electronic failure is when the electrical systems keeping the power steering running stop functioning. This type of failure can be caused by a fuse issue, so you can easily check the fuse box to see if one of the fuses needs replacing."

I am not saying this is your problem, but it's the first thing I would check. I haven't looked for a fuse for EPS myself, but if your car has one you sort of know you should have electric power steering, too.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

El Kapitan (02-27-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    WOOHOO Success I installed the lowering springs front and rear