Page 174 of 272 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176184224 ... LastLast
Results 1,731 to 1,740 of 2720

Thread: What did you do to your Mirage today?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I have new breaks for about 45k miles, I'm now at 80k miles. Cobra when do you recommend getting a brake flush for our Mirages?
    My car has 182,000 on it now. I flushed the lines and master expecting a bunch of rusty, cruddy-looking fluid to come out. The fluid that came out of the front calipers looked just fine, though it may have had some invisible moisture in it. The very first bit of fluid that came out of the rear wheel cylinders was kinda dirty looking, but the rest looked okay. I ran about 16-20 ounces of fluid through so I am pretty sure I got it flushed completely.

I wasn't expecting there to be a big difference in the way the brake pedal felt before the flush and after, and...there wasn't. When to do it? I am sure there is a recommendation in the manual, but I'd say at 100k might be a reasonable plan.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (09-01-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    My car has 182,000 on it now. I flushed the lines and master expecting a bunch of rusty, cruddy-looking fluid to come out. The fluid that came out of the front calipers looked just fine, though it may have had some invisible moisture in it. The very first bit of fluid that came out of the rear wheel cylinders was kinda dirty looking, but the rest looked okay. I ran about 16-20 ounces of fluid through so I am pretty sure I got it flushed completely.

I wasn't expecting there to be a big difference in the way the brake pedal felt before the flush and after, and...there wasn't. When to do it? I am sure there is a recommendation in the manual, but I'd say at 100k might be a reasonable plan.
    Thank you Cobra. I'll do it then in about another 20k miles.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Casy - Your Mirage looks badass with that canoe on top! Looks like a perfect fit. What a tow rig these things are!
    It worked really well and was no more trouble than hauling our jon boat with my old truck plus we didnt pollute with our nasty ancient outboard and we had the comfort of riding in AC. It was a pain taking apart and tangling our rods but now I know how to put the rear seats down and can try to fit them that way. Even though I was having a good time chasing Mpgs, I have decided to leave my roof racks on and today it paid off when someone decided to toss this fan which only needed the cord replaced! Name:  IMG_20210901_114521098_HDR.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  98.6 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.5 mpg (US) ... 20.6 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 58.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Casey For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-01-2021),Fummins (09-01-2021),inuvik (09-01-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Cute, but not what I had in mind. So we are back to my original question. Has anyone bought a hood scoop for their mirage and if so what did you get?
    GOD Bless and Thanks, rich!
    2019 G4 Wine colored. 'Burgundy'
    130K miles, 37MPG average at 75-80 MPH with A/C and Lights
    I am on the second engine and trans! 4.5 months out of 18 in the shop!
    Not so happy any more!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Adding a hood scoop will probably end up actually increasing your coolant temperature.

Your coolant relies on air flowing through your radiator to pull the heat away from it. Your idea of pulling more air into the engine compartment is a good one, but adding a scoop to the hood would actually increase the air pressure in your engine bay and reduce the amount of air that flows through the radiator.

Your best bet is to either get a larger radiator (I think it would certainly be possible to fit as the stock one is only like half width?) or get a hood with louvers to give air in the engine bay an escape path so new air can be sucked in.

Hood scoops really only help if you are scooping the air directly into an intake manifold. If you look at the old Subaro Outbacks here in the United States, you will find that they actually have the hood scoop blocked out internally for this reason.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    Adding a hood scoop will probably end up actually increasing your coolant temperature.

Your coolant relies on air flowing through your radiator to pull the heat away from it. Your idea of pulling more air into the engine compartment is a good one, but adding a scoop to the hood would actually increase the air pressure in your engine bay and reduce the amount of air that flows through the radiator.

Your best bet is to either get a larger radiator (I think it would certainly be possible to fit as the stock one is only like half width?) or get a hood with louvers to give air in the engine bay an escape path so new air can be sucked in.

Hood scoops really only help if you are scooping the air directly into an intake manifold. If you look at the old Subaro Outbacks here in the United States, you will find that they actually have the hood scoop blocked out internally for this reason.
    This.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,035 Posts
    Just turn a hood scoop around (open toward the windshield) and it would tend to draw air out from under the hood. Of course that effect might be dependent on how close to the windshield the scoop is located.

However, as much open space as there is under / around the engine for "warm" are to flow out / be drawn out at speed, I'm doubting a backward scoop would help that much ... but I only speculate on that. I could easily be wrong.

Plus, I personally don't care for the idea of disturbing the air flow over the hood with a scoop.

Other than buying a bigger radiator, with as many miles as you have, perhaps it and the condensor might could be cleaned out and improve things.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post

And here I thought the turbo "Subaru's" had the holes in the hood so air could cool the intercooler that's mounted on top the engine. Damn exhaust fumes again...

Attachment 21946

"A FUNCTIONAL HOOD SCOOP FEEDS THE AIR-TO-AIR INTERCOOLER."
    https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...d-test-review/

Edit: nvm, I just realized you were talking about the outback.
    Lots of cars had fake hood openings.
    Last edited by Fummins; 09-02-2021 at 01:04 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Pity,
    . . . . I appreciate your opinion but as a Certified Master Automobile Technician I can tell you that you are wrong. If and when I put on a hood scoop it will be facing towards the windshield. It will allow the hot air that builds up under the hood to vent out of the engine compartment. I don't want to force air into the engine compartment I want to allow the air to be vented when sitting still or moving slowly.
    . . . . I am not having an overheating problem. The coolant was changed at 74K miles when the engine was replaced. That being said the coolant temperature does get on the high side when pulling a heavy grade in 100F or higher temperatures. I have considered adding a second radiator next to the OEM radiator. There is room to do that!
    To all,
    . . . . Again has anyone bought and installed a hood scoop on their Mirage? I am looking for advice on what hood scoop to get!
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!
    2019 G4 Wine colored. 'Burgundy'
    130K miles, 37MPG average at 75-80 MPH with A/C and Lights
    I am on the second engine and trans! 4.5 months out of 18 in the shop!
    Not so happy any more!

As a Certified Master Debater, I'd suggest starting a new thread. But most thread get derailed worse than this so who cares.

To answer your question...No, nobody here has installed a hood scoop on their cheap slow Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)