Page 167 of 271 FirstFirst ... 67117157165166167168169177217267 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,670 of 2703

Thread: What did you do to your Mirage today?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If you buy & master a Honda Rebel 500 (be smart & careful about that), I hope you still have an opportunity take a Honda Grom out for a spin. I don't think you will regret your decision.

As far as the "be smart & careful" comment - I would say that to anyone on a cycle. Mistakes can be costly &/or deadly.
    Sage advice on both counts, especially the risks. It’s the reason why I got rid of my motorcycle decades ago.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The Rebel 500 looks like a great bike to start with, and should last a long time. I traveled many thousands of miles on my Honda Nighthawk 450 in the late 80s...loaded up with camping gear. Mid sized bikes can do almost anything.

Unfortunately due to an accident late 2019, I've decided to hang up the motorcycle thing after 40+ years of riding. Tomorrow I turn over the keys to my Honda CTX to the dealer who will sell it. 500+ pounds is just too much for me to handle. My 2 wheeled fun will be confined to my bicycle and a couple of fun Kymco scooters. I will miss my motorcycling road trips, though.☹

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Added a decal; makes it look a little sportier, I think. Name:  0720211027_HDR.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  97.2 KB
    Last edited by AtomicPunk; 07-20-2021 at 09:24 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon2knight View Post
    Thanks to fellow forum member MirageRally I now have this rather excellent Ultimate 9 EVC throttle controller installed in my 2019 ES. Site link: https://ultimate9usa.com/

I've been using it in all sorts of situations on the road trip I just finished up and can say it does indeed do what it says on the tin, and it does it well. Especially the Ultimate (U) settings, anything above a 6 (on a scale from 1-10) did me good.Didn't bother going in the other direction, the setting for E (economy). This is for folks who are ultra-milers who need to ring every extra foot out of their gas tanks....I'm fine with it the way it is I recommend this highly if living in a mountainous area as it improved throttle response immensely there.

Many thanks once again to MirageRally, this was the best part of the road trip having him actually give me and install something that turned out to be extremely useful to me for the remainder of my road trip
    I didn't see anyone reply to this so I had to add in my experience! I just installed one of these throttle controllers (that I got an excellent deal on from a member here!) too and am surprised by how much more "peppy" it makes the Mirage! I think I have mine set on U7 right now and it just brings the acceleration at low speeds onto another level. It's funny because the last vehicle we had, a 2002 Bravada (the BIG one!) I had to send the ecu to a guy, so he could re flash it, to get the same fix as this little plug and play throttle controller.
    Bruce

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bralexander For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (07-21-2021),inuvik (07-21-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bralexander View Post
    I didn't see anyone reply to this so I had to add in my experience! I just installed one of these throttle controllers (that I got an excellent deal on from a member here!) too and am surprised by how much more "peppy" it makes the Mirage! I think I have mine set on U7 right now and it just brings the acceleration at low speeds onto another level. It's funny because the last vehicle we had, a 2002 Bravada (the BIG one!) I had to send the ecu to a guy, so he could re flash it, to get the same fix as this little plug and play throttle controller.
    Bruce
    I have no experience with these, but it seems to me it is some sort of linear exaggerator of the throttle input. Maybe not linear however. Meaning, if you have one of these, 50% of the throttle pedal travel, instead of equaling roughly 50% throttle input, is actually like 90% throttle input. Hence the "peppy" feel to it.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with using and/or enjoying such a product. But I find the Mirage plenty peppy without it. But that's because 90% time I drive around like I've got a wet sponge under the throttle pedal and I try not to squeeze any water out of it. However, like today, I was out for lunch and the big boss called and needed me. I had to hustle. And the reaction of the car to my request to hurry up felt quite peppy in contrast to my normal wet sponge driving.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I a thinking of getting one of these. I like to rev match when I downshift and the throttle doesn't respond correctly to allow this to be done!
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I have no experience with these, but it seems to me it is some sort of linear exaggerator of the throttle input. Maybe not linear however. Meaning, if you have one of these, 50% of the throttle pedal travel, instead of equaling roughly 50% throttle input, is actually like 90% throttle input. Hence the "peppy" feel to it.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with using and/or enjoying such a product. But I find the Mirage plenty peppy without it. But that's because 90% time I drive around like I've got a wet sponge under the throttle pedal and I try not to squeeze any water out of it. However, like today, I was out for lunch and the big boss called and needed me. I had to hustle. And the reaction of the car to my request to hurry up felt quite peppy in contrast to my normal wet sponge driving.
    2019 G4 Wine colored. 'Burgundy'
    130K miles, 37MPG average at 75-80 MPH with A/C and Lights
    I am on the second engine and trans! 4.5 months out of 18 in the shop!
    Not so happy any more!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bralexander View Post
    Bruce
    I use it on setting U-8, it allows for infinitely better throttle response on even the worst inclines. Very useful little gadget for sure.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I was talking to a good friend (fellow driving instructor) after lessons today. We were leaning against his nice Ford F150. He shared it hadn't been running very good lately (not much power & worst gas mileage). They changed an oxygen sensor, & that helped for one day. The second time in they determined both of his turbos needed to be replaced ($3,000). I asked if he was still making payments on his truck, & the answer was yes! Since he was complaining about the $3,000, I assume he's past warranty. He's been driving as is for now.

I feel for my friend, but I drove home appreciating my simple 78 hp Mirage just a little bit more. No car payments & no turbos ever needing to be replaced!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (07-22-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Lil' Big Rig - HE'S ALIVE!

I finally got the tow hitch and got it installed. I'm going to get some pictures, may even get the trailer hooked up and get some pictures. I installed the trailer wire harness last week. So I'm good to go now.

But let me tell you guys about this fiasco, because sometimes, I just SUCK. My M.O. is to ALWAYS disassemble as little as possible. So when it came to fishwire the plates and bolts in place, I tried to do it through the big holes in the rear of the "frame" of the car. This is regarding the driver's side. I don't know how, but somehow I got the left front most bolt and plate in place. But it took a long time of "fishing." The 2nd one, which should have been easier, just would not go. So after a truck load of cussing and wasting time, I decided to take off the rear bumper.

Fellows, let me just say to you up front. If you're installing the hitch, just take off the bumper. Just friggin do it. It is not the easiest job to do right, but it is easy to remember how to get it all back together. There are a couple tasks to this that just suck. But in the grand scheme of things, it is an easy job to do, including the bumper removal, versus the frustration of trying to fish those stupid plates and bolts into place. Let me clarify, remove the brake lights, then remove the bumper cover, then remove the bumper structure. At that point, the drivers side fishwiring is EASY. And the passenger side is super easy. Remember. Remove the friggin crap.

So after much cussing (gonna have to kneel at the alter and ask for forgiveness), I removed the bumper, fished, and then with some effort got the U-bolt and center nuts started. I had the Mirage parked at the outside end of the garage, garage door and Mirage tailgate open. And all the tools and hitch box outside. I like that spot because I get more light and more breeze. Let me tell you guys, the mosquitos were hungry, and for a while dined on a buffet. My legs. But at one point, they just absolutely stopped. Approximately 10 minutes after that, the damn burst. And it rained lions, tigers and Great Danes. No warning, just splash. I had to crawl out and start gathering. My phone sat in it for a while (but it's ok), and my wallet. All my tools, instructions, etc. Needless to say, I received my 2nd shower of the day. After about 30 - 45 minutes it let up. But everything including me, was soaked. But I decided I didn't care and the show must go on. It is no fun sitting down / laying down / moving around on wet pavement. The rest of the event was done with wet hands. It was VERY unpleasant.

The most difficult part of removing and reinstalling the bumper was the unclipping / reclipping of the license plate light wire harnesses. If a person had another person helping them, it would be a lot easier. I've seen a lot of bumpers installed so it was straight forward otherwise. Mitsubishi uses really good exterior clips for the bumper. And crap clips for the interior trunk side trim. Also, for the 4 bolts of the bumper structure, the 2 inside bolts have clever access holes through the bumper itself. No need for a wrench of you have 6+ inches of extension the inside bolts come out quickly with a ratchet.

Got everything torqued to spec, and I will say, this Curt hitch is one of the better quality aftermarket items I have ever had experience with. Curt puts in a great effort for quality. The instructions are above average. Props to the Curt 11394. I put all my tools away and headed straight for the shower. I swept the area before I even started but I was still covered heat to toe with grime and grit. Post shower I felt good about my accomplishment.

Summary of highlights:

• Remove the damn bumper, and bumper structure. Just do it.
    • The license plate light wire harness clips are the most difficult thing of this task.
    • All the bulbs seals (including the brake lights) tend to stick in place and not come off with the lights. So they must be pulled out of their sticky spot and put back on the bulb housing.
    • For those that say this is a 30 minute job, even without removing the bumper, I call B.S. No way, not the first time anyway.
    • No drilling was required.
    • I'm going to estimate that if removing the bumper from the start, and without being drenched, this is a 1.5 to 2 hour job (includes dragging out tools and putting it all away).
    • The Curt 11394 hitch is top notch.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Wil B (07-22-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Lil' Big Rig - HE'S ALIVE!

I finally got the tow hitch and got it installed. I'm going to get some pictures, may even get the trailer hooked up and get some pictures. I installed the trailer wire harness last week. So I'm good to go now.
    Great write-up. Looking forward to the pictures.

Would you mind if this post is moved to a hitch thread? This is some good info for sure and it might be better organized with other hitch install posts.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)