Page 66 of 271 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116166 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to your Mirage today?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbrewsky View Post
    Thought there was a thread for "what have you fit in your Mirage?" but we'll settle for this sticky one instead.
    Here, we've got a couple hundred pounds of (mostly) crushed aluminum cans for recycling (for profit). And, you'll notice the iconic "missing hubcap".
    Attachment 18048
    Then we'll empty all those bags into 4½ buckets so the scrap yard can weigh them.
    Attachment 18049
    zip ties, zip ties, zip ties.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    So, catching up a bit...few days ago I snaked three wires for my temp gauge through the wire bundle in the firewall (big one on the left side as viewed from driver's seat). They'll be used for power to the backlight, the gauge, and the signal from the sensor.

Also mounted a fuse block to the front of the battery box...but drilled the hole lower than I wanted to for some reason. It's the battery box, so wth – I'll drill another. I'll probably have two 5A fuses there for the power wires, unless somebody sells a 3A automotive fuse? And I might use the other positions for an Amp and Sub later on...maybe.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Name:  20200521_103942.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  95.0 KB
    2nd hand rear bumper installed

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    recently changed both air filters and soon new windshield wipers. Love how low maintenance and easy to work on this car is

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jdollatari For This Useful Post:

inuvik (06-01-2020)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    What did you do to your Mirage today?

Err, nothing, I ain't got one.
    Growing old is compulsory- Growing up is optional

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itschad For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-01-2020),MetroMPG (06-09-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Wth, I just noticed this post. Don't you guys have a bottle depots? Or do you just get more money at a scrap metal place? That reminds me, I've got at least $100 in empties to take in at home.
    Most states in the US don't have them unfortunately. Michigan is the only one I can remember for sure because as a kid I always wished I lived in a state where I could collect cans and plastic bottles and turn them in for 10 cents each. That said, I know there are a handful of others that are 5 cents, but is only 5 or 6 out of 50. So in the rest of the states, it all just gets trashed unless you are enterprising like mcbrewski there, but most folks are just too plain lazy...
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-02-2020)

Holy crap. I didn't know that. They're all over the place here. 10cents a can, 25 for a 2 liter, they pay for milk jugs and cartons too. I usually wait for a bottle drive and donate mine but they're starting to add up.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Holy crap. I didn't know that. They're all over the place here. 10cents a can, 25 for a 2 liter, they pay for milk jugs and cartons too. I usually wait for a bottle drive and donate mine but they're starting to add up.
    In Wisconsin, I take crushed aluminum cans to the nearest salvage yard for money. Aluminum prices really fluctuate, however. Plastic bottles/jugs, tin cans, glass bottles/jars, newspaper, & cardboard are collected as recyclable items (for zero money).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Neat. It's like a whole different world down there! We've always had bottle depots ever since I can remember. Almost every small town has one in Alberta. In BC I think you can take your empties back to the liquor store for a refund. But they also have drive through liquor stores there...

When I lived "in" Edmonton I could dump off unlimited bags of trash, recycling was optional. I moved to a nearby town a stones throw away and had to make a huge adjustment fast. We have 2 bins a little bigger than a big garbage can. One is for garbage the other for organics. They only pick up "garbage" every two weeks, organics(grass clippings, leaves, scrap food, etc...) every week in the summer and every 2 weeks in the winter. We're able to toss recyclable in clear bags or bundle cardboard together for pick up every week. It took us month to get used to recycling and cutting back on waste.
    I miss the city, I took apart an entire rear projection tv, broke it into pieces and tossed it in the garbage when I couldn't give the thing away. Good times......

What was this thread about again?
    States are divided into counties, and counties are divided into townships. I miss living in a township that had a dump that also took recyclable items. When living in a township that had its own dump, I would spend approximately $10/year on garbage. I would burn what I could in a 50 gallon burn barrel. I would take recyclables to the dump for free about 4-5 times a year. What I couldn't burn or recycle (light bulbs, aluminum foil, spray cans, paint cans, etc.), I would pack into a trash can or two. One trip to the dump/year usually took care of those non-burnable items, & it cost about $5-10 get rid of it.

Now that I live in township without a dump, I pay $144/year (added to my property taxes) for garbage pickup. Garbage is picked up weekly & recyclable items are picked up every other week. I guess I am paying for more convenience. I still find myself using a burn barrel, however. There are places to take larger items. Salvage yard will take metal items like appliances. Old furniture, tires, etc. may cost extra to get rid of a waste management sites. The local county shop takes used motor oil.

I haul my used motor oil in jugs to the local county shop with my Mirage. Thus, we are not off topic here!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    👀👀👀

Attachment 18020
    Those look just like mine!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dark Magenta For This Useful Post:

Basic (06-03-2020)