Page 137 of 272 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139147187237 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,370 of 2720

Thread: What did you do to your Mirage today?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    . The internal side mirror has a wider field of view than the stock mirror. Nobody has died... yet.
    If the internal side mirror has a wider field of view (making it superior to normal outside ones), why aren't cars designed with these?

The car would be more aerodynamic, have superior side vision, & no need to clear or heat them in the winter.

Because I'm going to embed my face in it in a small overlap crash!

Observe the crash test dummy @ 0:33.

Ouch. Sparkly face.

However, the reasons you listed (except cost) are why we'll one day see video side mirrors permitted in North America. They're legal and have appeared on some cars overseas. Some domestic manufacturers would like the option of using them here (e.g. Tesla).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Public roads means we all gotta have like 2 outside mirrors on our cars, trucks, and motorcycles.
    Not required in Oregon either.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Dspace - chill with the safety radicalism. I'm surprised you even bought a tin can Mirage! (I'm kidding. Kidding!)

The internal side mirror has a wider field of view than the stock mirror. Nobody has died... yet.

Not in Ontario - check your Highway Traffic Act. I've been through multiple roadside RIDE stops through the years, and never had a cop question the mirror arrangment. (Though they almost always ask about the rear Kammback and/or big @$$ air dam.)
    The legality or illegality of something, or permissibility, doesn't necessarily make it the "right" thing to do.

Look at all those lifted trucks that are legal on our roads, chew up our pavement how many folds more, compared to economy cars, and lifted trucks literally can't see other cars properly at an intersection? And they're still legal?

I'd have to see video evidence of the superiority, or equal effectiveness, of camera-based mirrors. For me, the "Keep It Simple Stupid" "KISS" thing applies.

External mirrors are terribly simple, and effective eyes for the driver. Cameras get dirty in the winter. At the end of the day here MetroMPG, you are rationalizing your decision to remove basic safety equipment from your car. And of course everyone agrees with you, and not me. But I disagree with you.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Will this thread^ end of up like this one>? https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ll=1#post27420 I'll make popcorn.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    If anyone's filling this thread with off-topic jabber, it's you Fummins. I've made 2 comments now in 24 hours, and I'm completely on the topic with a thread about "making changes to your Mirage." You've made 4 replies in that time frame, and replies to a conversation between Metro MPG and I.

You're always butting in with your two cents.

You come across as someone who spends their day at work on the internet, instead of working.

Maintain your Mirage properly then have an opinion Fummins.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-22-2021)

You’re funny. Lighten up. Maybe Don’t be so quick to judge others?
    Last edited by Fummins; 01-22-2021 at 07:11 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    You come across as someone who spends their day at work on the internet, instead of working.
    HEY, that's me. Except now I spend my whole day at home on the internet, instead of working! HA! I'm in a "meeting" right now!

I'll throw my $0.02 in, I'll probably get change back. If various racers use these (and they do), and the vision is good enough for them at break neck speed where they are risking their lives, I'm OK with these being used on the street ... in the vicinity of minivans.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I wouldn't want to be involved in a civil law suit, damages case involving my car with no mirrors.

Gonna get expensive.

Whatever floats your boat I suppose. Sorry for sounding cranky. What's the judge gonna say?