Page 138 of 271 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140148188238 ... LastLast
Results 1,371 to 1,380 of 2703

Thread: What did you do to your Mirage today?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    The legality or illegality of something, or permissibility, doesn't necessarily make it the "right" thing to do.

Look at all those lifted trucks that are legal on our roads, chew up our pavement how many folds more, compared to economy cars, and lifted trucks literally can't see other cars properly at an intersection? And they're still legal?

I'd have to see video evidence of the superiority, or equal effectiveness, of camera-based mirrors. For me, the "Keep It Simple Stupid" "KISS" thing applies.

External mirrors are terribly simple, and effective eyes for the driver. Cameras get dirty in the winter. At the end of the day here MetroMPG, you are rationalizing your decision to remove basic safety equipment from your car. And of course everyone agrees with you, and not me. But I disagree with you.
    Just for the record I haven't taken sides. If internal side mirrors are so great, I have to ask why don't all cars don't have them? I may be missing something? I'll be spending 6 hours tomorrow nagging students to use their mirrors during lessons. Mirrors are an important feature on cars.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Important feature in heavy equipment too. An extra mirror or two isn't gonna hurt, but not having a mirror (or properly adjusted mirror) is certainly not gonna be good. If the internal mirrors are so good, why aren't they on the Cadillacs and BMW's of the world? I guess that new "3D" live view they have now is similar? I dunno, Mr. Tesla never took into account sun glare and dozing drivers when he invented autodrive... so.. I know we added mirrors to our heavy equipment at work. Mirrors aren't gonna hurt, but not having a mirror might.

Whatever I drive, stand up vehicle or Mitsubishi Mirage, I look around a lot checking my blind spots. Don't rely on my mirrors or a screen ha ha. I do drive by mirror, never tailgate, if I can do one thing well it's drive.

Heavily modded vehicles with reduced visibility, cars with cataracts, it's simply not safe, but I guess the Oscar Meyer weiner car needs to get from point a to point b.
    Last edited by dspace9; 01-22-2021 at 08:54 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    When I was driving for Uber, my passengers often comented on my huge extended clip on front mirror. I just like the extra visibility over my right shoulder. The blind spot is more pronounced compared to our G4 IMO.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 1,008 Posts
    Why doesn't various OEMs use the inside mirror?

My opinion. The outside mirrors are BETTER. The inside mirrors are probably 85% as good. The outside mirrors are required by laws / regulations. Furthering my opinion: I think the outside mirrors look mo' perdier too. But if I see a car out in public running inside mirrors, I'm not going to get weak in the bladder and fret about it. I'm going to continue on and never think a 2nd thought of it. My 72 Plymouth Scamp came with no right side mirror. I'm not about to drill holes in the body to add one (even though I think it would look better) ... I adjust my inside rear view mirror a bit biased to the right rear and enjoy the ride.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-25-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    The outside mirrors are required by laws / regulations. .
    Outside mirrors (plural) are not required by law in all states (maybe none). Some states only require one mirror, & it could be any of the three (driver's side, rear-view, passenger's side).

Mirror laws vary from state to state. Most states do not mandate two outside mirrors, unless your rear view is blocked by a trailer. Example: semi-trucks would be required to have mirrors on both sides.

For example, California requires a driver's side (left) mirror & a second mirror. That second mirror could be your rear view mirror or the passenger (right) side mirror. Whereas, Wisconsin requires only one mirror, & it's not stated which one.

My former 1990 Ford Festiva came with a driver's side mirror & rear view mirror (no passenger side mirrors). When I look at all the state mirror laws, that car's two mirrors would have been legal. If I was pulling a trailer that blocked my view with that car (highly unlikely with a small car like that), a passenger mirror may be required for some states. That would be the exception.

Mirror laws by each state -

https://www.carparts.com/blog/is-it-...a-side-mirror/

Sorry, I didn't look up Canadian mirror laws.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-25-2021)

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    "This phrase is generally believed to come from the 19th century, when beating a horse to make them go faster was common. Logically, beating a dead horse is a pointless activity as it can't move."

Speaking for myself - I think it's time to go do something else!

Agreed! Enough, already.

Now let's talk about how I removed all the airbags to save weight.

It handles better AND gets better MPG! Win, win.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Basic (01-25-2021),Fummins (01-25-2021),twister77 (01-25-2021)

I just use resistors they're cheap. If you want to remove the passenger seat just remove the wiring harness and occupancy sensor from it, bypass the airbag plug with a resistor and stuff the wiring harness up under the dash or under the center console. Same probably goes for the drivers seat. Who really needs seats anyways? A few pillows on the floor should do the trick!

I'd honestly consider doing this only to see all the hilarious panty bunched up comments lol
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I did actually do some decent driving today (about 30 miles on the highway) for the first time since having my sunroof installed. I also had all of my tools loaded into the trunk after going to the local Pick-n-Pull over the weekend.

I was surprised to find that I was still averaging ~43MPG. This was also during cold weather (so less inflated tires). This is the same as what I was previously getting with no sunroof and completely unloaded car.

It makes me curious as to what it actually takes to significantly change the MPG on this car. Can you still get similar MPG even with 4 adults in the car?