Page 73 of 271 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123173 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to your Mirage today?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had a third key, spare w/transponder but no buttons, cut today at the local hardware store and then I programmed it. Worked out perfectly and cost a whopping $13 total! Also picked up some new (to me) wheels that I will be wrapping in the finest rubber sometime in the next few weeks. Then I filled up the tank (37.7mpg) and vacuumed the floor mats.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bralexander View Post
    I had a third key, spare w/transponder but no buttons, cut today at the local hardware store and then I programmed it. Worked out perfectly and cost a whopping $13 total! Also picked up some new (to me) wheels that I will be wrapping in the finest rubber sometime in the next few weeks. Then I filled up the tank (37.7mpg) and vacuumed the floor mats.
    If you don't mind, I am going to ask for some clarification about your third key. This has been a discussion in other threads.

Did you order the key on the internet & used the directions in the owner's manual to program it? If so, would you please share what spare key you bought. I would appreciate it!

I have the Dash Design seat covers (ordered through rockauto.com), & I have been very please with them. Thanks for sharing your latest updates!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2017-N...72.m2749.l2649

I ordered this key and took it to the local Ace Hardware. They cut it just like a regular key and charged me $1. Then it took me literally less than a minute to program the key using the car and my other two keys. It works perfectly to open the door and start the car.

When we purchased the car, it only came with one key unfortunately. So, as you probably know, a new key cannot be DIY programmed with only one working key, it has to be done at a locksmith or dealership. So that second key, a full function one with the buttons, cost me $192 at the locksmith. He also told me that I could get another key, the one with a transponder but no buttons made for $95. But, obviously I knew from doing a bit of research that I could do it much cheaper on my own, now that I had two working keys to use. So, that's what I did. Saved myself $80ish!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bralexander For This Useful Post:

Eggman (07-10-2020),Mark (07-11-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    What I did today/yesterday!

DashDesigns Dash Cover

Curt 11394 Hitch
    Cool mods! I gotta ask though, the dash cover. What does it do besides prevent reflection? Does it help protect the dash from heat exposure? Protect electrical systems? Just curious.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The dash cover definitely cuts down on glare and provides protection to the dash. I feel like it probably lowers the overall temp in the car as the cover can't absorb and radiate as much heat as a bare dash , but that could be all in my head. I'm in Florida and the sun just destroys everything, so hopefully the dash cover can help a little. Even with that said, I am not completely sold on it yet. It's the first time I've used one and the look takes some getting used to.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The dash cover definitely cuts down on glare and provides protection to the dash. I feel like it probably lowers the overall temp in the car as the cover can't absorb and radiate as much heat as a bare dash , but that could be all in my head. I'm in Florida and the sun just destroys everything, so hopefully the dash cover can help a little. Even with that said, I am not completely sold on it yet. It's the first time I've used one and the look takes some getting used to.
    Definitely getting a new one from DashDesigns now. Mine doesn't fit nearly as well as yours

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MCMfan92 View Post
    Definitely getting a new one from DashDesigns now. Mine doesn't fit nearly as well as yours
    I think it was $42 shipped from Rockauto! I don't know what color you're thinking of, but mine is charcoal. It is lighter than I thought and if I had a choice I would have went a little darker. The piping on the airbag cutout is even a lighter gray color and looks like it's faded, but obviously it's not. Just an FYI

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think it was $42 shipped from Rockauto! I don't know what color you're thinking of, but mine is charcoal. It is lighter than I thought and if I had a choice I would have went a little darker. The piping on the airbag cutout is even a lighter gray color and looks like it's faded, but obviously it's not. Just an FYI
    Mine is black. And I'll check it out, not much more expensive than mine!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2017-N...72.m2749.l2649

I ordered this key and took it to the local Ace Hardware. They cut it just like a regular key and charged me $1. Then it took me literally less than a minute to program the key using the car and my other two keys. It works perfectly to open the door and start the car.

When we purchased the car, it only came with one key unfortunately. So, as you probably know, a new key cannot be DIY programmed with only one working key, it has to be done at a locksmith or dealership. So that second key, a full function one with the buttons, cost me $192 at the locksmith. He also told me that I could get another key, the one with a transponder but no buttons made for $95. But, obviously I knew from doing a bit of research that I could do it much cheaper on my own, now that I had two working keys to use. So, that's what I did. Saved myself $80ish!
    I've been meaning to do this myself. A little cost upfront may prevent a big cost in the future. I just ordered the same key, & I know my local Ace Hardware will do the same for me. The key was $11.55 with sales tax & free shipping.

I am glad the Mirage ES & LE uses a mechanically cut key verses a laser cut one. Most local hardware stores can't duplicate laser cut keys. Laser cut keys look like these -

https://www.google.com/search?q=lase...w=1200&bih=554

Thanks for the information. I look forward to having a third spare key soon!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MCMfan92 View Post
    I am not sure about dash covers, but dash design seat covers were cheaper @ rockauto.com than factory direct.

My dash design seat covers ordered through rockauto.com came directly from the dash design factory, however.