Page 46 of 271 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696146 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to your Mirage today?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Most places are going to list a group 35 battery for the Mirage. RockAuto.com is one of the few places where I have seen a car battery listed as group 35/85. Their other recommended batteries are group 35.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...435372&jsn=326

A group 35 battery is somewhat common. If you search for a battery at a place like AutoZone, group 35 is the only battery size that will appear for the Mirage. There is nothing unusual about a group 35 battery. My Forester takes the exact same battery. If it can turn over a Forester, turning over an engine half that size is not going to be an issue.

Some have used other batteries, & the terminals do matter. For example, you would want a 24F, not a 24. Likewise, some have used a 26R, but a 26 would not work.

AutoZone states a group 85 won't fit in a Mirage. I guess it's good to know it does.
    Interstate told me they list a Group 35 for the Mirage as well. It fits, but the original J-bolts may not be long enough since the Group 35 is taller than the Hitachi battery that comes with the car. AFAIK, the only difference between a 35 and an 85 is height. I know some other forumers who have used Group 35s have had to replace them. As you can see in the pic of the OEM battery above, there isn't much extra length on the J-bolts. Not a big deal, but worth noting.

The Group 85 just drops in.

Pretty much any replacement battery will have much more reserve capacity than the somewhat puny OEM battery that comes with the car. It has 356 CCA, this Interstate has 625 CCA.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I was surprised to find the Group 85 to be about 3/4 of an inch shorter than the OEM Hitachi battery.
    Hey Cobrajet, is there any chance you were able to compare the weight of your new battery against the OEM Hitachi battery? My guess is the new Interstate is heavier, even though it is smaller.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hey Cobrajet, is there any chance you were able to compare the weight of your new battery against the OEM Hitachi battery? My guess is the new Interstate is heavier, even though it is smaller.
    Honestly, they felt about the same. The footprint of both is the same, the Interstate is just slightly shorter.

It's going to be sad when imgur closes down and we lose all your useful pics!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Honestly, they felt about the same. The footprint of both is the same, the Interstate is just slightly shorter.
    This is a nice chart (dimensions & terminal location) of all battery groups. The weights aren't given, because that would vary between different brands.

https://www.batteryweb.com/bci.cfm

Longer battery J-hook clamps (may need to be cut down) aren't a huge expense.

https://www.batteryweb.com/bci.cfm

The group 35 is almost one 1" taller than the group 85. L & W are the same. Wonder if group 35 is recommended by auto parts stores, because it's a more common battery?

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Got a cargo carrier for free. Kinda long so I cant fully open the hatch.
    Name:  65597056_166812407784384_194171916895095042_n.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  97.0 KBName:  66335940_2072484603053335_4064555705491449771_n.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  96.5 KB
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marklovski For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (07-26-2019),dspace9 (07-25-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    Got a ASROC launcher for free. Kinda long so I cant fully open the hatch.
    Fixed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Marklovski (07-26-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Good and bad today. Got my first scratch but I was able to buff it out mostly. Also, got my windows tinted to help with keeping the inside a little cooler. Its going to bother me for a couple of days until I can clean the windows but I'll manage!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.8 mpg (US) ... 18.6 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomfromparma For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (07-26-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    Got a cargo carrier for free. Kinda long so I cant fully open the hatch]
    My personal opinion I need my hatch for my lawn debris and I use my Mirage like a tractor basically. Maybe you can open and close when the roof cargo carrier is detached, but hardware still there??

You know I wondered about getting a blue Mirage, and yours looks really good. I went with dark grey (thunder grey). Maybe where you live you have good lighting also looks near the water somewhere. Right on eh.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Fixed.
    xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomfromparma View Post
    Good and bad today. Got my first scratch but I was able to buff it out mostly. Also, got my windows tinted to help with keeping the inside a little cooler. Its going to bother me for a couple of days until I can clean the windows but I'll manage!
    Got some deep scratches from dropping my kayak rack on my hood. Feelsbadmane.

Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    My personal opinion I need my hatch for my lawn debris and I use my Mirage like a tractor basically. Maybe you can open and close when the roof cargo carrier is detached, but hardware still there??

You know I wondered about getting a blue Mirage, and yours looks really good. I went with dark grey (thunder grey). Maybe where you live you have good lighting also looks near the water somewhere. Right on eh.
    I have a rear strut bar in the back taking up some of the space. I just keep tools in the back to fix up the car, garbage bags, and I think a camping chair.

The blue looks nice in the night and during cloudy days. There's a lake half a mile away and the Puget Sound is a few miles away.

Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire