Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Show me your rust (where will Mirage corrosion problem areas be?)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    UPDATE:

After repeatedly removing rust on my car, and after looking under several other Mirage's, a summary of the worst rust problems:

The new car had its seams inside the cavities waxed, and repeated five years later, the result examined with an endoscope. No issues to worry about there.

Reasons for worry are:

1) The exhaust needs repainting at least yearly if you want to last.
    Why? There are no aftermarket sources yet, and the OEM exhaust costs a small fortune, about as much as fuel for 10000km, or as much as a rebuilt engine of a small car of another make.

2) The front axle body needs to be de-rusted, undercoated, and at least two layers of paint on top.

3) The rear axle body needs to be de-rusted, undercoated and at least two layers of paint on top.

Why?
    The rapid speed of rusting of the axle bodies suggests it can not last ten years if not repeatedly de-rusted and repainted. This needs to be done at least once yearly if you don't want to fall into the trap of too expensive parts for worthwhile repair. The exorbitant Mitsubishi price for both axles is about as much as the car is worth today, not counting installation!

Last edited by foama; 03-30-2019 at 12:00 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Name:  RUST-1.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  93.2 KBName:  RUST-2.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  93.5 KB
    Hi, anyone has rusty on your Mirage? I have sprayed oleum (white and light brown colored) on the suspension of my 2018 Mirage right before winter each year, but it did not help much, rusty spots are everywhere underneath. Should I take it to Krown and have it undercoated? Any idea to remove or slow down the rust? Thanks!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 1.2 automatic: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.7 mpg (Imp)

I don't know what would help that other than do what foama does. But that sounds like too much work, I'd either move or use my car to hunt deer once it get too rusty and hope it's written off.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyforrest View Post
    Should I take it to Krown...
    I've had my 2015 treated with Krown every other year. I keep a spray can of Krown on hand to do "touch-ups" in the off years or when I work on something. I have zero rust on the doors, hood, engine compartment, etc. Underneath the car (floor, suspension, etc) is still about 95% rust free. The exhaust doesn't look showroom new, but it's hanging in there. I'm a believer in Krown. If you don't want to spend the money for a full blown treatment, spend $20 on a couple of cans and shoot it everywhere you can.

There are other good products out there like Fluid Film and NHOU.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-04-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I've had my 2015 treated with Krown every other year. I keep a spray can of Krown on hand to do "touch-ups" in the off years or when I work on something. I have zero rust on the doors, hood, engine compartment, etc. Underneath the car (floor, suspension, etc) is still about 95% rust free. The exhaust doesn't look showroom new, but it's hanging in there. I'm a believer in Krown. If you don't want to spend the money for a full blown treatment, spend $20 on a couple of cans and shoot it everywhere you can.

There are other good products out there like Fluid Film and NHOU.
    Glad to hear Krown is helpful. I will remove the rust this summer and have the underneath sprayed. Thank you!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 1.2 automatic: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyforrest View Post
    Name:  RUST-1.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  93.2 KBName:  RUST-2.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  93.5 KB
    Hi, anyone has rusty on your Mirage? I have sprayed oleum (white and light brown colored) on the suspension of my 2018 Mirage right before winter each year, but it did not help much, rusty spots are everywhere underneath. Should I take it to Krown and have it undercoated? Any idea to remove or slow down the rust? Thanks!
    Yikes! I have a feeling the Mirages down south are going to last a lot longer on average since roads are rarely treated for ice. My old Subaru was from Pennsylvania and the rust destroyed my heat shield and catalytic converter. I will never own another used car that was in the north for 10 years.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    [QUOTE=luckyforrest;
    ... Any idea to remove or slow down the rust? Thanks! [/QUOTE]

Two days ago I spray-cleaned the car underneath. Something done twice yearly, before winter and after.
    It has NILL rust, and I mean nill, including the exhaust! I live in the German rust-belt where roads are salt-covered most of winter.
    How did I get it rust-free and stay that way? You can do it too! Rust is like tooth decay, the longer you wait, the more there is to do. Remember, this car is from 2014...

How is that be possible? See these posts:

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...usted-many-pix

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...-axle-many-pix

For details and materials, see post 8 and post 10 of this thread!

This is the same car today, built in June 2014

Name:  2014car.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  62.6 KB
    Last edited by foama; 03-04-2021 at 10:59 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Christopher_B (03-05-2021),Dirk Diggler (03-04-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Two days ago I spray-cleaned the car underneath. Something done twice yearly, before winter and after.
    It has NILL rust, and I mean nill, including the exhaust! I live in the German rust-belt where roads are salt-covered most of winter.
    How did I get it rust-free and stay that way? You can do it too! Rust is like tooth decay, the longer you wait, the more there is to do. Remember, this car is from 2014...

How is that be possible? See these posts:

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...usted-many-pix

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...-axle-many-pix

For details and materials, see post 8 and post 10 of this thread!

This is the same car today, built in June 2014

Name:  2014car.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  62.6 KB
    Wow! Foama you are a wizard!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    All this rust is really concerning. The average age of cars on the road is almost 12 years old. The oldest mirage here is from what 2014? At max it's about 7 years old. Some of these posts are showing massive rust in even less time. Main components rusting this quickly seems beyond just the fault of the road conditions.

I myself in only a year have started seeing rust in the engine bay on components that clearly are not directly impacted by road salt and my rims are starting to get rust spots.

Does anyone have any experience using their general warranty to fix this rusting? How about the anticorrosion warranty even though it only covers through holes. It looks like they are many exceptions for the warranty due to rust.
    Last edited by Mirageman38; 03-04-2021 at 05:07 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Surface rust (unless it's on an exterior painted body surface) is not going to be covered by warranty. Unless the rust bubbles through the paint in 7 years (and under 100K miles), it's not going to be covered.

If you read the warranty, it even says rust due to salt is not covered. The warranty also doesn't mention rust of structural components.

MITSUBISHI 7-YEAR/100,000-MILE ANTI-CORROSION/PERFORATION LIMITED WARRANTY

Covers perforation (metal rust-through) in outer body sheet metal panels due to corrosion during normal use for 7 years or 100,000 miles for every new Mitsubishi, including Lancer Evolution, Ralliart and i-MiEV models. Coverage excludes corrosion due to accidents, damage, abuse, abnormal use, vehicle alterations or contact with corrosive material such as sand, salt, hail, stones, chemicals, acids or fertilizers.
    Bottom Line:
    These cars will develop surface rust fairly quickly in northern climates where salt is used on the roads...but it's up to the owner to stop surface rust of underbody areas and inside body panels.

Do any of you guys in the south with a 2014/2015 have rust on the bottoms of the doors yet?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)