Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Mitsubishi Eclipse returning in 2018. It's not what you think: "Eclipse Cross"

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not sure if it's special paint; I don't believe so.

The HUD was nice ... because I could put it away when I wanted! I don't like having it up all the time.

When do you not like having it up?

I recently spent a week in a Prius plug-in, and its HUD was one of my favourite features. (First experience with one, as well.)

It wasn't nearly as gee-whiz as that one, though! Just a projection onto the lower left windshield area (and could be customized/shut off).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    When do you not like having it up?

I recently spent a week in a Prius plug-in, and its HUD was one of my favourite features. (First experience with one, as well.)

It wasn't nearly as gee-whiz as that one, though! Just a projection onto the lower left windshield area (and could be customized/shut off).
    It just depends. Sometimes I just don't like seeing the thing. It's kind of in your field of visions (which it's supposed to be, I suppose). I guess when I'm on the highways, I don't need it up. It was nice around town, however.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    People just can't seem to move past the naming convention on this thing. But people also did the same with the Dodge Dart, Chevy Malibu, etc. That being said, if people are really having that hard of a time accepting the name, maybe they should've called it something else ...

When you say the "point of this thing," how do you mean? Do you mean where it slots in the Mitsubishi lineup since there's already an Outlander Sport?
    Chevrolet resurrected the Malibu name after a long period of dormancy to name a new mid-sized sedan, which is what the Malibu was when it was discontinued in 1983.

Dodge resurrected the Dart name after a long period of dormancy to name a new compact sedan, which is what the Dart was when it was discontinued in 1976.

Mitsubishi has resurrected the Eclipse name to apply to a COMPLETELY different kind of vehicle, and only six years after the previous Eclipse went out of production.

People still associate the word "Eclipse" with Mitsubishi's sporty coupes and convertibles. Sporty coupes and convertibles are not big sellers right now, so I think this decision was stupid. If they absolutely had to apply a 'throwback' name to this vehicle in order to generate brand recognition, why not "Montero Cross" or even "Raider"?? Were they attempting to associate this crossover with the high performance image of the Eclipse? Because if that is the case then the Cross is going to disappoint (as per your own review).

I just have a hard time believing that anyone other than Goldilocks would walk into a Mitsubishi dealership and say, "Well, the Outlander Sport is too small. The Outlander is too big. But the Eclipse Cross is juuuuuust right!"

From what I have read (nice review, btw) the Eclipse Cross is a nice rig. It just seems like the answer to a question nobody asked, and I think that may be part of the reason why it's bigger and smaller brothers are outselling it...handily.

I hope it does not remain the "Jan Brady" of the Mitsubishi utility lineup.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I sat in the new 2018 Eclipse Cross in the Mitsu showroom nearby a few months ago. Nice looking SUV, sharp in the blue, nice interior. Not enough leg room. My 14 Mirage is tiny so the lack of legroom is understandable. SUV without legroom, might as well go with a real Suburban.

Not sure what the new Eclipse suv has to do with the 2012 and before Eclipse sports car.
    The back of the new Eclipse does look like the Pontiac Aztek. I remember the hype around the Aztek at the Detroit auto show back in 2000 or so. I went a lot back then
    Last edited by dspace9; 10-05-2018 at 09:06 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Not sure what the new Eclipse suv has to do with the 2012 and before Eclipse sports car.
    NOTHING. That is my whole point. They shouldn't share a name, especially when the sports car was so recently discontinued.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=Cobrajet;77079]NOTHING. That is my whole point.

Crass and chintzy marketing ploy, with no consideration from the consumer. If Mitsu was a zombie from an island with a shady history, and bad rep for tv style financing, kinda luxury luxury, that's Mitsubishi. Nice riding cars tho easy on the eyes. I like the symbol is samurai origin and the mirage sounds jet like sometimes
    Last edited by dspace9; 10-05-2018 at 09:55 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=dspace9;77080]
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    NOTHING. That is my whole point.

Crass and chintzy marketing ploy, with no consideration from the consutomer. If Mitsu was a zombie from an island with a shady history and bad rep for tv style financing, kinda luxury luxury, that's Mitsubishi. Nice riding cars tho easy on the eyes. I like the symbol is samurai origin
    I just think trying to market a new CUV with the name of a sports car that was in production for 20+ years and only recently discontinued is, well...stupid. It's not that I don't like the Eclipse Cross. It looks like a nice rig. But when people hear "new Mitsubishi Eclipse", they subconsciously think to themselves, "Oh yeah, my buddy had one of those. But that's not what I am looking for now. I need a compact utility vehicle."

Whomever is in charge of Mitsubishi's North American marketing department should have his head examined. This is just about the LAST name I would have picked for this vehicle.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (10-05-2018),Marklovski (10-05-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yea for sure. Typical car company behaviour. I guess at least Mitsubishi makes a brand of it. A 2011 eclipse isnt a 1992 or whatever the eagle talon -eclipse, the one that was in fast and furious 1.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    But here's the deal: We're all well-versed in Mitsubishi stuff and are the fringe lunatic side of thing (we all belong to a Mirage forum for heaven's sake). We're critical, as some of us (we had a 1990 and a 1994 Eclipse) have a soft spot for the Eclipse coupes. I understand that people think it's knuckle-head move to call it that. And maybe it is. But I saw the same thing happen when the Dart was launched (sure, it was a sedan in its later years); I was ad the media launch for it in Austin, TX.

But here's the thing: How many of you here were going to buy the car and now WON'T because of the name? I know it was never on my shopping list (and I don't plan on getting one anyway). So, is the naming really going to have an affect on anything? Are buyers of a crossover really not going to buy it because it invokes a compact coupe from the 1990s?

My guess is no.

I do like the idea of calling it the Montero Cross, however. I do think that would've been a solid idea. But perhaps they were worried that Montero would invoke images of a heavy, rugged, thirsty SUV and not a car-like crossover? Just a thought.

Regardless, I hope Mitsubishi does well with the Eclipse Cross.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Subcompact Culture For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (10-06-2018)