Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: New Mitsubishi Eclipse returning in 2018. It's not what you think: "Eclipse Cross"

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Is a manual available in other markets?
    Yes, the 6 speed manual transmission is available on the FWD models in the UK throughout the entire Eclipse Cross trim ranges.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

bzacon (06-05-2019),Eggman (06-05-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    It looks like the Eclipse Cross may follow a similar path as the Mirage.

After being in the U.S. market for a couple years, the Eclipse Cross may skip a model year. The new model will be a 2022 Eclipse Cross. This is taken from the Mitsubishi website -

"Say hello to the radically redesigned 2022 Eclipse Cross, featuring improved handling, a design to rival the most stylish SUVs, and tech that takes connectivity to the next level. It's so advanced, we skipped right past 2021."

Being one of the slowest selling vehicles in North American does not speak well for a new model. Hopefully, the upcoming improvements will help.

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/08/mi...es-in-the-u-s/

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (10-17-2020)

They de-Azteked the back end!

Name:  Mitsubishi-Eclipse-Cross-1c-1024x555.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  75.1 KB

That alone should double sales.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I'd be more worried how that 1.5 L turbo and CVT8 will hold up. I'd trust an Outlander Sport a lot more as its what, ten years old? I'm not sure "turbo" and "cvt" should be in the same sentence?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    They de-Azteked the back end!

Name:  Mitsubishi-Eclipse-Cross-1c-1024x555.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  75.1 KB

That alone should double sales.
    I always thought that was more of an automotive journalist complaint than a consumer one. Hell, Pontiac didn't sell enough Azteks two decades ago for any regular person to make the comparison, and with the popularity of 'Breaking Bad' it might have even been a plus. Other cars use that same sort of horizontally-split rear end...the old CRX and later Prius being among them. I think the recent Honda CR-Z may have used that layout as well?

Nobody was b!tching about the "Aztek Ass" on those cars. The '22 redesign looks fine. Honestly, it looks like they just redesigned the rear hatch to make it harder to see out of. But I hate it when journalists whine about all utility vehicles looking generic, then turn around and whine even louder when a company does something a little different.

Personally, I doubt this move will help sales much. Mitsubishi needs to start opening lots and lots of piggyback dealerships at already extant Nissan dealerships. How much can some signage, a few Mitsubishi techs, and a dozen or so cars on the lot cost? Multiply that by the number of Nissan dealerships and Mitsubishi can get back in the game.

It isn't the Eclipse Cross itself. The reviews are actually pretty good on it, for the most part. I can mostly sum them up by saying, "The Eclipse Cross is fine. It isn't a CR-V or RAV4, but you aren't paying Honda or Toyota money for it, either. Oh, and it has a great warranty."

It is finding out the Eclipse Cross exists and then having to go on a minor quest to buy one that are the main reasons for low sales.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (10-17-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I actually think Mitsu did a good job at something relatively original design-wise; even though I find rehashing of names with consumer products, gets confusing, and unnecessarily. Even worse is the Lexus "artist with no name" IS400 and many others. I get that the expensive brands want to be all Mercedes-esque, but it gets confusing. Name your car a real name is a practical rule of thumb. Maybe luxury doesn't believe in practicality.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Whatever it is called, I was never a fan of the rear split window or the name of the Eclipse Cross. There are a host of reasons why it hasn't taken off - the looks, the drivetrain, the performance, the reputation and market position of the manufacturer, etc.

Does the Eclipse Cross compete in the same market segment as the HRV but wanted to look different? Now it looks like a Honda or Toyota - which might be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I actually think Mitsu did a good job at something relatively original design-wise; even though I find rehashing of names with consumer products, gets confusing, and unnecessarily. Even worse is the Lexus "artist with no name" IS400 and many others. I get that the expensive brands want to be all Mercedes-esque, but it gets confusing. Name your car a real name is a practical rule of thumb. Maybe luxury doesn't believe in practicality.
    Mitsubishi has had weird naming practices for a long time now.
    Last edited by Eggman; 10-17-2020 at 09:27 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I actually think Mitsu did a good job at something relatively original design-wise; even though I find rehashing of names with consumer products, gets confusing, and unnecessarily.
    I said the name Eclipse Cross was a very poor choice before these even hit the market. The Eclipse had only been discontinued in 2012 here in the States, and recycling the name on a completely different kind of vehicle is idiotic.

If they had to recycle a name, they could have called it the 'Pajero', the 'Carisma', the 'Sigma', the 'Raider'...hell, even 'Montero' would have been less stupid. I also hate the alpha-numeric names that cars have nowadays.

Who the hell wants go buy a new "CBX-Q GT"?? Random combinations of numbers and letters should be on the license plate, not the car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Who the hell wants go buy a new "CBX-Q GT"?? Random combinations of numbers and letters should be on the license plate, not the car.
    With the BMW, Mercedes and Audi naming conventions you pretty much know how the car is configured, so the numbers and letters work there. Maybe other manufacturers are trying to replicate that?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    That was my thinking also. But I hear a BMW 220 doesn't necessarily mean a 2 L engine in their new cars. Probably odds are it does nowadays, with all the 2 L turbos. Naming alone can make or break a product. The VW Beetle is a stupid name that sold well even if it isn't great. Same goes for a bungalow.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)