Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Push button start on DE

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by allrock View Post
    yah the EPS is a different system while the ESL is included in the immobilizer system, you misinterpret the cutting of power, its the EPS motor whos stop working when overheated thats why steering is locking up not the steering lock they are doing this to reset the EPS ecu and make the motor work again to prevent locking up this is just made by some back yard mechanic but im surprise that an enginneer from hyundai knows about that ingenious modification, sad to say base model mirage here like mine also doesn't have a immobilizer actually my spare key is only a metal key, maybe thats the reason we have steering lock, ang the annoying panic alarm.
    What do you mean by 'panic alarm'? Do you mean an alarm that activates when you open doors without first unlocking using the key fob? I dont have a key fob with buttons so im not sure what you are talking about

Some of those base model Hyundai and Kia models are over 30k CAD. Thats quite a bit more than the 18k CAD after tax for a base mirage. Pretty crazy to think that they didnt make the immobilizer a standard feature.

I wonder what the cost difference is like, immobilizer vs steering lock. I thought all the immobilizer software/hardware was built into etacs i thought it was basically free to give everyone an immobilizer. i didnt realize some markets dont have an immobilizer

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    The lock is probably not integrated with the EPS system because mitsubishi probably only wants to make one EPS module for all cars in all markets. including mechanical key and markets with no steering column lock.

I can't imagine how cutting power to power steering would prevent it from locking up. What kind of stupid idiot lock design would unlock when power is lost. Maybe they cheaped out so hard that they used a solenoid instead of a linear actuator?

Allrock, you may also find it very interesting to know that base model mechanical key Hyundai and Kia vehicles up to and including 2021 model year dont come standard with an engine immobilizer. You have to pay extra to upgrade to a higher trim for an immobilizer key. https://www.thedrive.com/news/43454/...n-car-epidemic

Sounds like KIA & Hyundai are addressing the issue. All 2022 trim levels will have an immobilizer.

"Spokespeople for Hyundai and Kia told C/D that every new Hyundai now has standard engine immobilizers, and that all 2022 Kias across the lineup will also have the engine immobilizer fitted as standard equipment." taken from -

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...waukee-action/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-28-2021)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    What do you mean by 'panic alarm'? Do you mean an alarm that activates when you open doors without first unlocking using the key fob? I dont have a key fob with buttons so im not sure what you are talking about

Some of those base model Hyundai and Kia models are over 30k CAD. Thats quite a bit more than the 18k CAD after tax for a base mirage. Pretty crazy to think that they didnt make the immobilizer a standard feature.

I wonder what the cost difference is like, immobilizer vs steering lock. I thought all the immobilizer software/hardware was built into etacs i thought it was basically free to give everyone an immobilizer. i didnt realize some markets dont have an immobilizer
    if you ddnt unlock it using the remote it will sound the alarm my annoyance is the chirp sound that it make when unlocking the car i want to get rid of it but you also have to get rid of the alarm which is an added safety so i think i just let it go, my key has a built in remote my spare is only a metal key, i know the key that your talking about older montero and triton have that equipped with immobilizer.

you are right when it comes to units that are not equipped with the push start the immobilizer key is encrypted to ETACS, our ETACS is almost the same the only difference is how they code it but here since we dont have immobilizer our ignition key is not equipped with the receiver for the transponder.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by allrock View Post
    if you ddnt unlock it using the remote it will sound the alarm my annoyance is the chirp sound that it make when unlocking the car i want to get rid of it but you also have to get rid of the alarm which is an added safety so i think i just let it go, my key has a built in remote my spare is only a metal key, i know the key that your talking about older montero and triton have that equipped with immobilizer.

you are right when it comes to units that are not equipped with the push start the immobilizer key is encrypted to ETACS, our ETACS is almost the same the only difference is how they code it but here since we dont have immobilizer our ignition key is not equipped with the receiver for the transponder.
    In the States, only the 2021-22 SE trim level has the FAST-key/push button start system. The other trim levels come with two chipped keys, & both keys have remote entry buttons attached to them.

If you have two chipped keys, you can program a third key by following the directions in the owner's manual. It costs under $15 to purchased a key & have a local hardware store cut it. Programming the key yourself costs nothing, & no tools are required. This third key would not have the remote entry buttons, however. The car would have be manually unlocked with it.