Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How Much Could I hook up to the Cigarette Lighter Socket?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I, too, use a floor style bicycle pump. The gauge is crap, but those pen style gauges don't take up much space or weight...

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Anyone have any experience with water boilers that hook into the cigarette lighter? I was thinking I might get one for camping, or emergencies in the winter as I have had to sleep in the car before. They're pretty cheap on aliexpress, like 15 CAD for an insulated mug that boils water, or 4 CAD for what appears to just be a loose heating coil you could put in a cup. They confusingly seem to come in 24 V configurations along with the 12 V, which would be quite the draw. Found that kind of confusing.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...archweb201603_

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001...archweb201603_

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spadesheart View Post
    Anyone have any experience with water boilers that hook into the cigarette lighter? I was thinking I might get one for camping, or emergencies in the winter as I have had to sleep in the car before. They're pretty cheap on aliexpress, like 15 CAD for an insulated mug that boils water, or 4 CAD for what appears to just be a loose heating coil you could put in a cup. They confusingly seem to come in 24 V configurations along with the 12 V, which would be quite the draw. Found that kind of confusing.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...archweb201603_

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001...archweb201603_

I'd steer clear of the exposed heating element one for safety reasons. The element would have to get very hot to heat the water and with the coils exposed like that just think you're driving along and you have in your metal cup heating the water and you hit a big bump or emergency maneuver that element could pop right out and start a fire, melt just about anything plastic (which is basically the entire interior of the Mirage) or burn the heck out of you or a passenger.

Most semi-trucks are 24v systems. The appliance can switch between one voltage or another. As long as you're not drawing more than 10 amps (120 watts) you should be fine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Pryme (05-21-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I'd steer clear of the exposed heating element one for safety reasons. The element would have to get very hot to heat the water and with the coils exposed like that just think you're driving along and you have in your metal cup heating the water and you hit a big bump or emergency maneuver that element could pop right out and start a fire, melt just about anything plastic (which is basically the entire interior of the Mirage) or burn the heck out of you or a passenger.

Most semi-trucks are 24v systems. The appliance can switch between one voltage or another. As long as you're not drawing more than 10 amps (120 watts) you should be fine.
    I mean with how cheap these all are, I was probably going to regardless, that being said, I wouldn't be comfortable using something like this unless I was at a full stop. It would likely be used to noodles or coffee, which kind of can't be made well on the go.

For anyone buying something like this, don't use any form unless you're at a full stop.