Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Much Could I hook up to the Cigarette Lighter Socket?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 2,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    I powered an ARB fridge-freezer off our our 12V socket without any issues.

Attachment 15599
    If the Mirage has a 10 amp fuse for the 12V socket, running something up to 120W should be safe.

I took this from a customer review of the ARB fridge-freezer -

"The ARB requires 80-90 watts for startup power then the power consumption settles into the 55 watt range."

Not sure how accurate those numbers are, but they are well below 120W.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Added Additional 12v Outlet

Quote Originally Posted by Spadesheart View Post
    Hello!

I was thinking of maybe adding some LED lights and a dashcam to my car using the cigarette lighter, but I already use a phone charger from there.

I understand the socket handles 15 amps, but would it be okay to run all that kit from that one socket?

If anyone has some suggestions or advice, let me know. Thanks!

I wanted additional outlets, so i ran a fused jumper wire from the main fusebox and put an additional cigarette lighter behind the glove box and ran a wire up and out from behing the top of the radio panel and use that to keep my Cellphone dash cam running. Also, If I need it, there's a second open usb on that 2nd cigarette lighter adapter.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    I don't like to have a dash cam fitted to a USB port. Firstly, to me, it looks untidy, then you have to take it all down when you park up. I've had mine hard wired in, no wires to be seen. I just use the USB for my phone.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    I don't like to have a dash cam fitted to a USB port. Firstly, to me, it looks untidy, then you have to take it all down when you park up. I've had mine hard wired in, no wires to be seen. I just use the USB for my phone.
    I downloaded a number to CDs that I still like to listen to a 32 GB USB flash drive, & I just leave the flash drive plugged into my USB port in my Mirage. Nice for my longer trips!

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I downloaded a number to CDs that I still like to listen to a 32 GB USB flash drive, & I just leave the flash drive plugged into my USB port in my Mirage. Nice for my longer trips!
    Ditto Mark but my USB drive is plugged into the dongle that's in the glovebox.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    Ditto Mark but my USB drive is plugged into the dongle that's in the glovebox.
    My flash drive is my glove box, because I have a 2017 Mirage, too. Just sharing how I like using my USB feature. I'm not very high tech usually, & this doesn't change that!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    My Mirage is 10amp. I know because my Ham Radio blows it.
    Thank you for this info. It's nice to know the upper limit, even if it is not the official limit. I read somewhere that the USB port powers a maximum of 40watt somewhere.

I have been looking into a tire air compressor- one that uses as few amps as possible because time is not of the essence. I found a cheap compressor that advertised 300 PSI, but it broke on me after 2 uses. It said it used 5amps on a 12v.

I would like to use less than 5amps. Some compressors use 10-15amps max- and these are designed for cars and trucks but I do not think the Mirage battery is designed for 15amps. So I am in no hurry to pump a tire in 2-3 minutes. I will wait happily 20 minutes if I have to, as long as the compressor won't break from the pressure of air escaping the tire.

Does anyone know of any super low amperage/wattage compressors that work on your 12v? I am looking at the $20 range- One that is durable but also not overpowered- at least one that has a "slow pump" option (i.e. fewer amps). Also, some are labeled "emergency use." I want one that I can check once a month between oil changes, so I do not want it to be for emergency use ony, since I think it is less likely to be designed for durability.

Edit: I found a list of several pumps: https://www.freeairpump.com/best-por...r-compressors/ worth a read also because it has a free air location search.
    Last edited by highwire; 05-18-2020 at 12:51 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by highwire View Post
    Does anyone know of any super low amperage/wattage compressors that work on your 12v? I am looking at the $20 range- One that is durable but also not overpowered- at least one that has a "slow pump" option (i.e. fewer amps).
    Why not a floor (bike) pump? No amp problems and fits your slow pump criteria.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Why not a floor (bike) pump? No amp problems and fits your slow pump criteria.
    I agree with you 100%. I just spent hours searching for a powered pump and haven't found one as reliable and inexpensive as a bike pump that I've used for bikes for over 20 years. I will probably go for one as a backup or primary guage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    I got a high volume floor pump and find it works fine. It helps that the Mirage tires don't have a big volume to fill up haha. Don't see it wearing out any time soon, it includes a gauge, never runs out of battery or blows fuses - simple & reliable.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)