Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 175/65/14

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alrmgamer26 View Post
    ...I tried to switch out to different tire size and everyone pretty much refused saying it would cause it to rub.
    That stinks. I understand that some of these shops think they are trying to keep you from making a mistake, but that tire has no problem on these cars. A 185-55-15 (on a 2 inch wider-than-stock wheel) also fits with no rubbing at all. Sometimes you have to carry your wheels into a shop and tell them what tires to put on. If they ask what kind of car they are going on, just make up one with those size tires.

The more important question for you is this... Have you had a 4-wheel alignment check done?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    That stinks. I understand that some of these shops think they are trying to keep you from making a mistake, but that tire has no problem on these cars. A 185-55-15 (on a 2 inch wider-than-stock wheel) also fits with no rubbing at all. Sometimes you have to carry your wheels into a shop and tell them what tires to put on. If they ask what kind of car they are going on, just make up one with those size tires.

The more important question for you is this... Have you had a 4-wheel alignment check done?
    Funny part is I asked them to roll out a 175 and it took the manager 5x to do it. After that I was done. I did get the alignment done. In factory spec as close as they could. Mitsubishi went cheap and didn't install cam bolts or ton of adjustable componets

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    In factory spec as close as they could. Mitsubishi went cheap and didn't install cam bolts or ton of adjustable componets
    And that is the concern - that despite an alignment that is the 'best they could,' your rear axle is still out of alignment and will continue to eat up tires. I'm going to guess that is why the Mirage was sold with low miles in the first place.

Mitsubishi Motors North America has already acknowledged that out of spec axles are to be replaced under 5 year/60,000 mile warranty coverage. For details, please be sure to read this: Rear Wheel Misaligned? It's not necessary to read the entire thread to get familiar with the problem, but it's clear many dealerships have avoided fixing this problem. By talking to the right people early on in the car's life, Mitsubishi can take care of it and keep these cars on the road.

14,000 miles is an unacceptably low odometer reading to be replacing tires. If that is the case, you'll be selling your Mirage soon, just like it's previous owner.

I wish I could help, but the best I can do is give you some information and advice on how to proceed. I like my little Mirage and want it to last as long as it can. I hope yours does too.
    Last edited by Eggman; 04-10-2017 at 09:11 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I did get the alignment done.
    Take Eggman's advice. Your main concern should be what your REAR alignment numbers are.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    And that is the concern - that despite an alignment that is the 'best they could,' your rear axle is still out of alignment and will continue to eat up tires. I'm going to guess that is why the Mirage was sold with low miles in the first place.

Mitsubishi Motors North America has already acknowledged that out of spec axles are to be replaced under 5 year/60,000 mile warranty coverage. For details, please be sure to read this: Rear Wheel Misaligned? It's not necessary to read the entire thread to get familiar with the problem, but it's clear many dealerships have avoided fixing this problem. By talking to the right people early on in the car's life, Mitsubishi can take care of it and keep these cars on the road.

14,000 miles is an unacceptably low odometer reading to be replacing tires. If that is the case, you'll be selling your Mirage soon, just like it's previous owner.

I wish I could help, but the best I can do is give you some information and advice on how to proceed. I like my little Mirage and want it to last as long as it can. I hope yours does too.

I understand was your saying. The mark is just slight bit off. I bought it brand new and now has 36k miles. Original set and never rotated. I have no complaints needless to say.

It is poor of Mitsubishi to do this. But those specs are fine, what I'm more concerned with is the door button for keyless entry. Little bastered stopped working.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    CAUTION:

I had a good conversation with a service rep at Mitsubishi. I explained the alignment issue and they had never heard of it. I further talked about my tire change and I was surprised at the response. Someone else had changed to 175s, had a transmission issue that they could not figure out. After hours of exhaustive research, they blamed the tire size as the issue. Mitsubishi denied the transmission warranty due to incorrect tire size. Customer out $5000.

OMG!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CigMirage View Post
    Mitsubishi denied the transmission warranty due to incorrect tire size. Customer out $5000.
    It's not the first time hearing of this practice. This would be easily remedied by getting the correct tire size mounted. The total cost of getting a set of stock Dunlop Enasaves would be 10% the cost of the transmission warranty work.

Even if the tires are loaned just for this warranty coverage. I would swap if it were nearby, and it would be fun to try another set of tires for a while.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Mine has 45000km on it since 2014, the tyres are still original and the tread is fine at almost 50% and also evenly worn, and of course there are no cracks at all.
    If I saw cracks in a three year old tyre, I would assume something were wrong with last nights booze or with my state of mind...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    It's not the first time hearing of this practice. This would be easily remedied by getting the correct tire size mounted. The total cost of getting a set of stock Dunlop Enasaves would be 10% the cost of the transmission warranty work.

Even if the tires are loaned just for this warranty coverage. I would swap if it were nearby, and it would be fun to try another set of tires for a while.
    Next thing they will say your tire is not the same OEM brand and warranty denied.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Installed 175/65R14 Altimax RT43 today after 35000mi with the stock Dunlop Enasave. Feel more solid steering as expected with a wider wheel base, but also rolling resistance and the accompanying mpg decrease. Should these tires be inflated to 35 psi or more?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)