Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 175/65/14

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    My 2019 Outlander Sport has the Nexen NPriz RH7’s and I have to say I’m pretty impressed by them. Quiet, good wet and dry traction and most owners have stated they are easily getting 50k+ out of them in reviews.
    I appreciate you sharing that. If my memory serves me right, you are on your second set of Federal tires on your Mirage. I've appreciated your input on them, too!

If anyone has tried Nexen tires on their Mirage, I would like hear what they think of them. Then again, I haven't noticed this particular tire in a 165/65r14 size for that long of a time period. The good news is more 165/65r14 tires are available now. It's not anywhere near the number of 175/65r14 tire options in the States.

I do think a person should stay away from some of the cheaper less known brands, but Nexen seems to be a respectable tire company in South Korea. It's a tire I would consider, too. I guess that is why I listed it earlier.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I appreciate you sharing that. If my memory serves me right, you are on your second set of Federal tires on your Mirage. I've appreciated your input on them, too!

If anyone has tried Nexen tires on their Mirage, I would like hear what they think of them. Then again, I haven't noticed this particular tire in a 165/65r14 size for that long of a time period. The good news is more 165/65r14 tires are available now. It's not anywhere near the number of 175/65r14 tire options in the States.

I do think a person should stay away from some of the cheaper less known brands, but Nexen seems to be a respectable tire company in South Korea. It's a tire I would consider, too. I guess that is why I listed it earlier.
    Yes, on my 2nd set of Federals. Last set I put on I had them install adjustable camber bolts for the alignment and what a world of difference. Along with the Daox anti-sway bar and it’s much much better to drive. No complaints at all with the Federals. They’ve been manufacturing the SS657’s for quite a long time. I ran them on my Metro’s and a Geo Tracker (Suzuki Vitara) in the past. They will take a surprising amount of abuse. Even though they aren’t a off road tire I’ve aired them down to 20psi to off road and never had a issue.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I'd like to see more than anecdotal evidence as proof that Mits denied a CVT warranty due to tire size, especially when different size tires are used by Mits in different markets.

As for the alignment issue a case could be made for Mits having to fix any Mirage brought in with a defective axle, regardless of age. While it's not a life or death issue, not everyone is going to find out their axle is defective within 5 years /60k miles. IIRC Honda was held to fix all the rusty crap they made in the early 90's without regard to age or mileage.

Ultimately I plan on running 185/60R15 LRR Encopias. I like having a slightly wider tire that still provides excellent mileage and has a warranty.
    Top Fuel has had a great experience with his Bridgestone Encopia tires. He's experienced excellent mpg ratings, & they seem to wear extremely well for him. Most of all, I think he likes the appearance of them the most. They are surely a great option.

Personally, I think a 185/60r15 is a somewhat large tire for the Mirage. A 185/55r15 would be a much better match. I am not going to pretend to be a tire expert, but a 3% variance in tire diameter is considered acceptable by many tire shops.

stock factory tire sizes
    165/65r14 are 22.4" outside diameter
    175/55r15 are 22.6"

Comparison of tire size options -
    175/65r14 are 23" & have a 1.8% variance (from the 175/55r15 stock factory tires)
    185/55/r15 are 23" & have a 1.8% variance (from the 175/55r15 stock factory tires)

185/60r14 are 23.7" & have a 4.9% variance (from the 175/55r15 stock factory tires)

Putting an oversized tire on a powerful Corvette or large pickup truck may not be that noticeable. I think a person can overdue it with a small economy car like the Mirage. If I wear oversized work boots, they feel clunky on my feet. 185/60r14 tires may be perfectly fine, but ...?

There's nothing wrong with 155-185 wide tires on a Mirage. I just wouldn't go overboard with larger diameter tires, & I wouldn't blame auto companies for voiding warranties over this issue. They look for excuses and loopholes, & this would surely give them one!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes, on my 2nd set of Federals. Last set I put on I had them install adjustable camber bolts for the alignment and what a world of difference. Along with the Daox anti-sway bar and it’s much much better to drive. No complaints at all with the Federals. They’ve been manufacturing the SS657’s for quite a long time. I ran them on my Metro’s and a Geo Tracker (Suzuki Vitara) in the past. They will take a surprising amount of abuse. Even though they aren’t a off road tire I’ve aired them down to 20psi to off road and never had a issue.
    I have about 15,000 miles on a pair of Federal tires myself, & they seem to be doing OK, too! I wouldn't say they are the best all-season tire for dealing with a lot snow, but most all-season tires aren't great for that. For an all-season tire, the Federal tires seem to be a good value. Federal is a legit tire company. I appreciate companies that make a decent product for a decent price.

I don't blame others for using 175/65r14 tires, too. It does open up more tire options in the States especially.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I have about 15,000 miles on a pair of Federal tires myself, & they seem to be doing OK, too! I wouldn't say they are the best all-season tire for dealing with a lot snow, but most all-season tires aren't great for that. For an all-season tire, the Federal tires seem to be a good value. Federal is a legit tire company. I appreciate companies that make a decent product for a decent price.

I don't blame others for using 175/65r14 tires, too. It does open up more tire options in the States especially.
    I think it’s not out of the question to get 50k miles out of a set of Federals if you rotate them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think it’s not out of the question to get 50k miles out of a set of Federals if you rotate them.
    Federal tires have been up front all summer & factory Dunlop tires on the rear. In a couple weeks, the Federal tires will be moved back to the rear and Nokian snow tires will appear up front. Tires get rotated in the process. Nokian snow tires are directional, & this will be their third winter coming up.

Since 1994, I've live on top of ridges in SW Wisconsin. Both of my homes (past & present) have/had ridge roads with spots that don't get much sunlight. I tend to run 3 different pairs of tires on all of my front wheel drive cars. Newer tires are used during the winter months and older tires are used up during the summer months. I've been doing it this way for decades. Works for me I guess.

If that doesn't get the job done, I back out the Forester. I always have two complete sets of tires (newer & older) for my AWD vehicle.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Do you have a link to $28 Tang Wang Bangs?
    Too late to score a set...they have all already been recalled. You know, lotta blowouts!

The Tang Wang Rubber Companion and Tire Consortium is China's 452nd biggest rubber company!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (10-27-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post

The Tang Wang Rubber Companion and Tire Consortium is China's 452nd biggest rubber company!
    And China's 937th biggest tire company!

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (10-28-2019)