Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 175/65/14

Country
    United States
    Thanks

175/65/14

So I went searching for a set of 165 tires on my new (to me) '15 Mirage with 14k. I have a wholesale tire account and my cost on 165/65/14 was $88 for Bridgestone. I was expecting maybe $35 max for such little tires, but there was no off brand in this size.

My plan is to go alloys, so I didn't want to spend any money really on 14s. I had to do something since the RR tire was a different brand, the FL tire had been flat several times, and all the tires were cracking from age.

I had access to another set of wheels from a 15 mirage with 46k miles for free! So I check them out and they are 175/65/14. However, they are also cracking!

So I call my supplier and he says 175/65/14 is in stock $26 and change each. 4 new tires for $100? Sweet!

I actually traded the old 165 tires for the labor since 2 were good and it was a rare size. It works for the short term. I know that more contact with the road will hurt MPG by a hair, but I'm good with it. It's nice to have a new set of rubber!

Attached Images Attached Images   

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CigMirage For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (03-23-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    That's a good price on tires. Can you give some more details and a link to what they are?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CigMirage View Post
    ...I went searching for a set of 165 tires on my new (to me) '15 Mirage with 14k.
    You just bought a used Mirage with 14,000 miles and it needs at least 2 new tires, correct?

Let me ask a few follow-up questions...

What tires (size and brand) were on the car when you bought it?
    Were all 4 of them 165-65-14 Dunlop Enasaves?
    Were the 2 rear tires different from the front tires?
    Were the 2 rear tires worn while the front tires seemed OK?

Here's why I'm asking all of these questions. The OEM tires may not last that long...but they shouldn't be worn out at 14K miles unless you have an alignment issue. Rear tires wearing out quickly on these cars is a pretty good indicator that you have a rear wheel alignment problem.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I thought the same thing, the tires shouldn't be BAD. They were Dunlops with plenty of tread, but they were all cracked from the sun. The front right one you could see sidewall wear from someone driving on a flat tire. The RR one was a bridgestone, plenty of tread, but why was it changed?

I already know the rear alignment is out, I have to find my spec sheet from last year. The new tires were so cheap I just decided to throw them on.

Here is the funny part. After the tires were on, I noticed a set of really good set of dunlops in the right size at the shop. They wanted $35 each!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ...The RR one was a bridgestone, plenty of tread, but why was it changed?
    ...I already know the rear alignment is out...
    A reasonable guess is that the RR is where the rear alignment problem is. Bad rear toe can wipe out a rear tire in just 8-10K miles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    A reasonable guess is that the RR is where the rear alignment problem is. Bad rear toe can wipe out a rear tire in just 8-10K miles.
    This is what happened to me. Left side was fine, but rear right was half bald at 15k miles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So I went searching for a set of 165 tires on my new (to me) '15 Mirage with 14k. I have a wholesale tire account and my cost on 165/65/14 was $88 for Bridgestone. I was expecting maybe $35 max for such little tires, but there was no off brand in this size.

My plan is to go alloys, so I didn't want to spend any money really on 14s. I had to do something since the RR tire was a different brand, the FL tire had been flat several times, and all the tires were cracking from age.

I had access to another set of wheels from a 15 mirage with 46k miles for free! So I check them out and they are 175/65/14. However, they are also cracking!

So I call my supplier and he says 175/65/14 is in stock $26 and change each. 4 new tires for $100? Sweet!

I actually traded the old 165 tires for the labor since 2 were good and it was a rare size. It works for the short term. I know that more contact with the road will hurt MPG by a hair, but I'm good with it. It's nice to have a new set of rubber!
    What supplier? I'm looking at the very same thing. I got low as $43.00

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I need to call Mitsubishi or stop by ASAP to address this alignment issue! After reading all of the comments and posts I see that it is a pretty big deal.

As for my supplier, it is just your typical tire supplier. I don't want to post the name because promotion is usually frowned upon in my forum experience.

I'm expecting a drop in MPG but a little more contact with the road with the 175s would make me feel better.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I need to call Mitsubishi or stop by ASAP to address this alignment issue!
    You definitely want to get your alignment checked (especially the rear). Let us know what they find.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sooo....changed out the set of tires that was desperately needed. Inspection due at the end of the month. I tried to switch out to different tire size and everyone pretty much refused saying it would cause it to rub.

Simply changing the 165/65/14 to 175/65/14 just slight bit wider. You would have thought i was putting 35's super swampers on there. So due to time restriction I went to the factory set which works fine. but only expect 30k at 111.19 a piece. Not to happy but needed it bad. I was at the point of failure.

So my thoughts. Yeah! happy ill pass inspection, mad because the $$$. Thinking about it in 3 yrs to changing the rims out for 15" Which they are coming out with stocker set. But in 3 yrs the car maybe traded or not sure where.

BTW, found out walmart is selling the rear wipers now. A-12 for $9 which is better then the dealer at $18.