Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Unacceptable vibration/rattle @ 13,000 km SOLVED: loose exhaust hanger

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Ditto, on the rust proofing.

Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Its been a week.. Anything too report?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    Its been a week.. Anything too report?
    No nothing yet.
    I've got 1200km to next oil change so I'll have them put the summer tires back on and see if that has any effect.
    I don't believe it will because the vibration is RPM specific at different speeds but the service manager will have no option but to deal with it.
    We'll see..
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    No nothing yet.
    I've got 1200km to next oil change so I'll have them put the summer tires back on and see if that has any effect.
    I don't believe it will because the vibration is RPM specific at different speeds but the service manager will have no option but to deal with it.
    We'll see..
    Have you figured it out yet? I just remembered I had a vibration in one car a while ago where the muffler scrapped across something and knocked off a rubber exhaust hanger. And I just had a car come in with the same hanger popped off. It's the one between the rear cat and the muffler on the drivers side. Maybe it's worth crawling under and taking a look?Attachment 8670

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-07-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks for the hint/info Fummins.
    Dealer had it up on the hoist the day I took it in with my complaint. I'm assuming they gave it a good look since they believe it's exhaust resonance.
    I'm doing second service and putting summer shoes on Wed. after work. If issue is still there I'll find a dry spot, put it up on the ramps and tear into it.
    Will weld for beer.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Update..
    Mirage was in to dealership yesterday for 2nd service, winter/summer tire changeover and to address the open resonance/vibration/rattle work order.
    The service manager was in contact with Mitsu rep. regarding the latter issue and informed me "they are adamant, this is chacteristic of engines this size". No action taken.
    Exactly what I was expecting. Deny, deny until it falls off (whatever "it" is) and I can physically hand them the evidence. The observed and confirmed noise itself is not proof enough as it's "characteristic" of this engine.
    By that logic the car was broken from the day I bought it until the noise started around 12,000km but it fixed itself?
    Oh.... and yeah the summer tires made it worse!
    I've been under the car myself and though I found a plethora of rattles to deal with, no luck finding "the one".
    I will make one more trip to the dealer and get the service manager in the car for a ride. If that doesn't get things moving..... we'll see.
    Looks good though.. lol
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Will weld for beer.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What differences are there between the wheels and tires? Weight/height?how did it get worse? In intensity?

I would be quite upset as I'm sure you are --
    "Been there changed my own transmission"

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    What differences are there between the wheels and tires? Weight/height?how did it get worse? In intensity?

I would be quite upset as I'm sure you are --
    "Been there changed my own transmission"
    My winter tires/wheels (steel) are typical 165/65R14's and summers are (Alloy) 175/55R15.
    The vibration is more pronounced/intense
    now so I'm assuming the stiffer sidewall, harder tread compound and lesser mass cannot absorb the vibration as well as the softer, squishier, heavier winters so more is transmitted into the car.
    That, with less road/tire noise means I get to hear/feel it throughout the entire drive.
    Will weld for beer.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Went back to dealer yesterday to push for a resolution to the vibration problem.
    The mechanic and I took another ride in my car, this time on the highway with cruise set. The vibration/resonance was there in all it's glory. A true assault on the senses, up through the seats and steering wheel. The tech fully agreed it was a nightmare but said we would have to drive an equivalent new Mirage for comparison as per Mitsubishi's instructions.
    Back at the dealer there is an exact duplicate of my SLE (GT in the US) with 70km on it so we go for a drive.
    Guess what?! There is a definite drone in the driveline at exactly the same rpm range as my car though nowhere near as bad as mine.
    Conclusion: "This is a normal characteristic of this engine and as I have 15000km on it this is considered a normal progression of age and mileage". No resolution until something falls off or fails catastrophically.
    IMHO.. STAY AWAY FROM 2017 CVT MIRAGES, ESPECIALLY THE GT/SLE VARIANT.
    Will weld for beer.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    Went back to dealer yesterday to push for a resolution to the vibration problem.
    The mechanic and I took another ride in my car, this time on the highway with cruise set. The vibration/resonance was there in all it's glory. A true assault on the senses, up through the seats and steering wheel. The tech fully agreed it was a nightmare but said we would have to drive an equivalent new Mirage for comparison as per Mitsubishi's instructions.
    Back at the dealer there is an exact duplicate of my SLE (GT in the US) with 70km on it so we go for a drive.
    Guess what?! There is a definite drone in the driveline at exactly the same rpm range as my car though nowhere near as bad as mine.
    Conclusion: "This is a normal characteristic of this engine and as I have 15000km on it this is considered a normal progression of age and mileage". No resolution until something falls off or fails catastrophically.
    IMHO.. STAY AWAY FROM 2017 CVT MIRAGES, ESPECIALLY THE GT/SLE VARIANT.
    My 2015 exhibits some CVT "whine" but it's not obnoxious. Any way to post a video of it occurring? I'm curious what this sounds and looks like.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (04-09-2017)