Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Unacceptable vibration/rattle @ 13,000 km SOLVED: loose exhaust hanger

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I have many recordings but they're useless because the mic pics up everything so road, wind and engine noise all blend together. Also the mic doesn't pick up vibrations so no help there.
    You will feel and hear none of this in your '15 just as it was not present on my '14. This issue is present solely I believe, on the '17 Mirage CVT's with new programming, redesigned exhaust with no flex joint and stiffer engine mounts.

Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ichobod,

Did your car sit for a long time or anything prior to the issue? The only thing that should cause vibrations or pulsing on a dealership lot new vehicle is rusted calipers. From a few of your other posts i gather your wise enough that's not the case.

If your not getting resolve i would open a case with mitsubishi international. There's info on how to do so in your owners manual, or atleast the PDF version EGGMAN is capable of delivering.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

IchabodCrane (04-09-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    If your not getting resolve i would open a case with mitsubishi international. There's info on how to do so in your owners manual, or atleast the PDF version EGGMAN is capable of delivering.
    I think that's good advice.

Regarding the manual, I like using the pdf version to quickly search for specific info and share it here on the forum but I don't know an easy way to get copies to others. I wonder if the forum software has a library function we could use to store documents like this. Hopefully MetroMPG can chime in on this.

An internet search should help someone find a copy of their owner's manual. However, I recommend creating an account with the Mitsubishi Motor's website in their market area (North America, Canada, Philippines, et. al.) and downloading a copy directly from them. That way an owner is assured of having the most accurate version, right from the source. And having registered with Mitsubishi might make it easier to resolve problems.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

IchabodCrane (04-09-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    I have many recordings but they're useless because the mic pics up everything so road, wind and engine noise all blend together. Also the mic doesn't pick up vibrations so no help there.
    You will feel and hear none of this in your '15 just as it was not present on my '14. This issue is present solely I believe, on the '17 Mirage CVT's with new programming, redesigned exhaust with no flex joint and stiffer engine mounts.
    Since you've owned both a '14 & a '17 what changed in the CVT programming? If I understand correctly the '17's exhaust manifold and the catalytic converter are one piece where in the '14-'15 it was separated by a flexible exhaust connector correct?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    If I understand correctly the '17's exhaust manifold and the catalytic converter are one piece where in the '14-'15 it was separated by a flexible exhaust connector correct?
    I wonder if this also helps with the 4 hp increase in the 2017 engine horsepower rating - exhaust tuning as well as the roller cam. What other benefit would be gained by making this change?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Since you've owned both a '14 & a '17 what changed in the CVT programming? If I understand correctly the '17's exhaust manifold and the catalytic converter are one piece where in the '14-'15 it was separated by a flexible exhaust connector correct?
    not entirely sure what they did to CVT but tech. told me it's to make driving it feel more normal and increase longevity. It is very aggressive at keeping rpm down now.
    as for the exhaust, yeah the flex joint is gone now.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I wonder if this also helps with the 4 hp increase in the 2017 engine horsepower rating - exhaust tuning as well as the roller cam. What other benefit would be gained by making this change?
    Tech told me they had so many warranty issues with flex joint Mitsu engineered it out for economics.
    Will weld for beer.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    Ichobod,

Did your car sit for a long time or anything prior to the issue? The only thing that should cause vibrations or pulsing on a dealership lot new vehicle is rusted calipers. From a few of your other posts i gather your wise enough that's not the case.

no. my car doesn't sit much.
    brakes/rotors check out ok.
    Will weld for beer.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    Tech told me they had so many warranty issues with flex joint Mitsu engineered it out for economics.
    Funny we haven't heard of this chronic problem here.

I wonder if your setup has developed a leak from lack of a flex joint.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Funny we haven't heard of this chronic problem here.

I wonder if your setup has developed a leak from lack of a flex joint.
    I have thought that myself because sometimes I can feel it in my ears like when you open the windows too far at speed.
    Because of this I have looked the exhaust over pretty good. Found nothing.
    Just fyi the entire exhaust system doesn't just hang right off the header. The header/cat combo has a bracket welded to the bottom of it which bolts to the engine cradle sub assembly. Just behind that is a ball/socket joint. The rest of the one piece welded exhaust joins here.

Last edited by IchabodCrane; 04-10-2017 at 02:26 AM.
    Will weld for beer.