Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fumoto Oil Drain Valve Specs

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    BITOG would be the place where this could morph into a 20 page epic discussion for sure!
    I think we can challenge that. Especially if we toss in some magnet discussion.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

inuvik (01-14-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Open Fumoto. Drain oil. Remove Fumoto. Measure how much additional oil comes out.

I'd guess it wouldn't be much more than a few ounces, especially given the tiny size of the Mirage's oil pan.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Open Fumoto. Drain oil. Remove Fumoto. Measure how much additional oil comes out.

I'd guess it wouldn't be much more than a few ounces, especially given the tiny size of the Mirage's oil pan.
    Has anyone tried an oil extractor? I watched a couple youtube videos, and they appeared to be convenient but left more than 1/2 cup of oil. But Knowing the valve is an easier option for letting it drain, I am leaning towards buying a drain valve. I do think the incline/ramp does a lot to help that extra 1/2 cup.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by highwire View Post
    Has anyone tried an oil extractor? I watched a couple youtube videos, and they appeared to be convenient but left more than 1/2 cup of oil. But Knowing the valve is an easier option for letting it drain, I am leaning towards buying a drain valve. I do think the incline/ramp does a lot to help that extra 1/2 cup.
    I'd go with the oil drain valve, because you have to have an oil pan under car when removing the oil filter anyways. The Fumoto oil drain valve makes a relative easy job a bit easier.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

highwire (01-19-2020)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    ok guys how about this one?

Fumoto drain valve dangerous to your engine?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8k9neRPKEQ

The uploader says "no oil drain plug I've seen gets all the oil out. And I've serviced over 40,000 vehicles."

Fumoto has this in their FAQ page

Name:  Fumoto FAQ.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  53.1 KB

Now, it still remains a question whether the Fumoto valve protrudes beyond the inner wall of the oil pan or not 'til somebody gets to measure the drain hole depth vs. the length of the Fumoto valve bolt thread.

IMO, though, even if there's a little bit of leftover, that would be insignificant to be of concern.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
    Now, it still remains a question whether the Fumoto valve protrudes beyond the inner wall of the oil pan or not 'til somebody gets to measure the drain hole depth vs. the length of the Fumoto valve bolt thread.
    I measured this and posted it a couple of years ago.

I see no reason to worry about it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (01-20-2020),Fummins (01-20-2020),inuvik (01-20-2020),Mark (01-20-2020),mohammad (09-21-2021),Top_Fuel (02-16-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
    ok guys how about this one?

Fumoto drain valve dangerous to your engine?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8k9neRPKEQ

The uploader says "no oil drain plug I've seen gets all the oil out. And I've serviced over 40,000 vehicles."

Fumoto has this in their FAQ page

Name:  Fumoto FAQ.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  53.1 KB

IMO, though, even if there's a little bit of leftover, that would be insignificant to be of concern.
    This Fumoto answer sort of contradicts the one above -

"Fumoto valve male threads will, in most instances, be longer than the female threads in the oil pan. Because of this, you will likely have a little more oil left over in changes.

We've had a handful of users test out the difference between the two. To their measure, whatever is left in the pan isn't noticeable enough for them discern between an oil drop with or without our valves.

If you're worried about leftover particles, please keep in mind that warming up the engine properly before doing your oil change should put particles in suspension, making it easy for them to escape once the release on the valve is triggered.

Keep in mind, in many instances, the pan shape itself will not allow for every drop to escape."

If you raise the front of your Mirage to drain your oil (like many forum members do), I doubt very little oil is left behind. Given the location of the drain plug, I'm not worried about it.

I don't remember ever seeing Eggman's pics before. After seeing that, I am even less concerned. I can focus on worrying about something else now!

I have the F106S valve. It's very simple and works perfectly on a Mirage oil pan. Reviews for this particular valve are quite high. I always change my own oil. I wish that I had started using these valves decades ago. These valves are a Japanese product invented in 1976.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

inuvik (01-20-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I don't remember ever seeing Eggman's pics before. After seeing that, I am even less concerned. I can focus on worrying about something else now!
    I posted that on April 30, 2017 - a few months before you joined.

That's why I sometimes browse old threads. There lots of good info to be found.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    ok guys .. recently had an oil change.

Car was placed on a level platform, i.e., on a lifter .. for an oil change.

measured at least 27mL .. rounding it off to 30mL (1 oz.) is just 1% of the 3L oil you put into the engine; could be much lesser if the oil draining was done on a ramp or as what Eggman suggests in his post.

... recorded w/ a cellphone

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Fumoto Sale with Coupon Code

Today is 2/20/2020, so get 20% off!

Right now get 20% off all Fumoto Valves, adapters, and accessories with promo code 202020 at fumotooildrainvalve.com.
    That's the biggest discount I've seen Fumoto offer. If you ever wanted Fumoto products, now is a great day to do it.

Last edited by Eggman; 02-20-2020 at 03:27 PM.