Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Fumoto Oil Drain Valve Specs

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_B View Post
    Has anyone seen a drain valve with a magnet that could be removed on ocaasion say every third change? I wrestle with the idea of the valve but ultimately decided on a magnet. Maybe there aren't that many components of our engines that could produce magnetic shavings anyway and thus a moot point?
    I always do my own oil changes. I have never used a magnetic drain plug. Are you seeing metal shavings on your oil drain plug? If shavings are floating in the oil, I suspect an oil filter takes care of them.

I've been doing my own oil changes since the late 1970s. My 2017 Mirage has been the first vehicle that I added a Fumoto oil drain valve. I liked it enough to buy one for my 2011 Forester.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I always do my own oil changes. I have never used a magnetic drain plug. Are you seeing metal shavings on your oil drain plug? If shavings are floating in the oil, I suspect an oil filter takes care of them.

I've been doing my own oil changes since the late 1970s. My 2017 Mirage has been the first vehicle that I added a Fumoto oil drain valve. I liked it enough to buy one for my 2011 Forester.
    The Fumoto clones I'm buying seem every bit as well finished as the genuine thing. I also bought one for my Saturn and one for my Burgman bike, The bike is a questionable buy with the plug so accessible but the valve eliminates the need for a wrench. In a pinch I could pull off an oil change without tools.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Basic (12-18-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    The Fumoto clones I'm buying seem every bit as well finished as the genuine thing. I also bought one for my Saturn and one for my Burgman bike, The bike is a questionable buy with the plug so accessible but the valve eliminates the need for a wrench. In a pinch I could pull off an oil change without tools.
    If you don't mind, please share which clones that you are buying?

If you do your own oil changes, the oil drain valves are nice. I don't like spending any more time under my car than necessary. I doubt the oil pan drains out completely (due to the threads extending into the oil pan slightly), but I am not overly concerned about that. I usually drive the front of my Mirage up homemade 6" high wooden ramps when I drain the oil, & I think the angle helps drain the oil out more, too.

Overall, the Mirage is quite easy to work on. Compared to most engine bays, the Mirage looks quite simple.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If you don't mind, please share which clones that you are buying?

If you do your own oil changes, the oil drain valves are nice. I don't like spending any more time under my car than necessary. I doubt the oil pan drains out completely (due to the threads extending into the oil pan slightly), but I am not overly concerned about that. I usually drive the front of my Mirage up homemade 6" high wooden ramps when I drain the oil, & I think the angle helps drain the oil out more, too.

Overall, the Mirage is quite easy to work on. Compared to most engine bays, the Mirage looks quite simple.
    Not at all. These are great. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I did find paperwork showing I bought 1 genuine Fumoto valve in 2018 but the mystery is where it went. It was only $23.50 US which is still real money but not $60+ like Amazon wants now. Fumoto still sells from their site at reasonable prices, 2 valves for about $50 US with free shipping and occasional coupon deals. But it took me a day to get my clones and as I said, they work great and you can't beat the value.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Not at all. These are great. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I did find paperwork showing I bought 1 genuine Fumoto valve in 2018 but the mystery is where it went. It was only $23.50 US which is still real money but not $60+ like Amazon wants now. Fumoto still sells from their site at reasonable prices, 2 valves for about $50 US with free shipping and occasional coupon deals. But it took me a day to get my clones and as I said, they work great and you can't beat the value.
    The clone does look the same. Even the black plastic piece to lock the valve lever in place looks identical. Thanks!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Got the Fumoto valve quite a while ago…enough to do a few oil changes. My car is lowered and I hit some fresh gravel really hard. I don’t yet know if I broke the valve, or if the gravel switched the valve to open, but I’m now waiting for a tow because it drained. I pulled into a Valvoline a mile after I noticed the oil light. It was too low to get into their stall, so the topped it off and I tried to drive to the dealer (23 minutes away). I had driven quite a distance between hitting the gravel and the oil light coming on, so I thought I could make it. Started sounding like a diesel, then squeaked for a second before I pushed in the clutch and the noise stopped. I was able to coast into a gas station parking lot and I’m waiting for a tow. Am I going to need a new engine? I’m sure the Fumoto valve voided the warranty since I’m sure that’s what’s caused it…

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magenta View Post
    Got the Fumoto valve quite a while ago…enough to do a few oil changes. My car is lowered and I hit some fresh gravel really hard. I don’t yet know if I broke the valve, or if the gravel switched the valve to open, but I’m now waiting for a tow because it drained. I pulled into a Valvoline a mile after I noticed the oil light. It was too low to get into their stall, so the topped it off and I tried to drive to the dealer (23 minutes away). I had driven quite a distance between hitting the gravel and the oil light coming on, so I thought I could make it. Started sounding like a diesel, then squeaked for a second before I pushed in the clutch and the noise stopped. I was able to coast into a gas station parking lot and I’m waiting for a tow. Am I going to need a new engine? I’m sure the Fumoto valve voided the warranty since I’m sure that’s what’s caused it…
    I'm only guessing but you've probably damaged the cylinders with scoring due to oil starvation, ring damage, valve damage, main and rod bearing damage. Oh and probably have damaged your oil pump also. So the answer is most likely yes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

mohammad (10-14-2023),Top_Fuel (10-14-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magenta View Post
    I used the ValvoMax (link below) in my '22 Honda Passport, but this is one of my biggest fears. To combat this, I went ahead and placed the OEM drain plug and a washer in the glove box. For long trips, I'll plan on including jug of oil.

https://www.amazon.com/ValvoMax-Oil-...8&sr=8-19&th=1

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    I used the ValvoMax (link below) in my '22 Honda Passport, but this is one of my biggest fears. To combat this, I went ahead and placed the OEM drain plug and a washer in the glove box. For long trips, I'll plan on including jug of oil.

https://www.amazon.com/ValvoMax-Oil-...8&sr=8-19&th=1
    It's more expensive than Fumoto valves, but not much.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Looky:

https://www.amazon.com/EZ-Oil-Drain-...s%2C528&sr=8-4

Karl