Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 55 of 55

Thread: Fumoto Oil Drain Valve Specs

  1. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    SW, WI
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    6,335
    Thanks
    410
    Thanked 2,201 Times in 1,733 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_B View Post
    Has anyone seen a drain valve with a magnet that could be removed on ocaasion say every third change? I wrestle with the idea of the valve but ultimately decided on a magnet. Maybe there aren't that many components of our engines that could produce magnetic shavings anyway and thus a moot point?
    I always do my own oil changes. I have never used a magnetic drain plug. Are you seeing metal shavings on your oil drain plug? If shavings are floating in the oil, I suspect an oil filter takes care of them.

    I've been doing my own oil changes since the late 1970s. My 2017 Mirage has been the first vehicle that I added a Fumoto oil drain valve. I liked it enough to buy one for my 2011 Forester.



  2. #52
    Senior Member Wallythacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Niagara region
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    1,826
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 393 Times in 313 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I always do my own oil changes. I have never used a magnetic drain plug. Are you seeing metal shavings on your oil drain plug? If shavings are floating in the oil, I suspect an oil filter takes care of them.

    I've been doing my own oil changes since the late 1970s. My 2017 Mirage has been the first vehicle that I added a Fumoto oil drain valve. I liked it enough to buy one for my 2011 Forester.
    The Fumoto clones I'm buying seem every bit as well finished as the genuine thing. I also bought one for my Saturn and one for my Burgman bike, The bike is a questionable buy with the plug so accessible but the valve eliminates the need for a wrench. In a pinch I could pull off an oil change without tools.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

    Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)


  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

    Basic (12-18-2022)

  4. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    SW, WI
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    6,335
    Thanks
    410
    Thanked 2,201 Times in 1,733 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    The Fumoto clones I'm buying seem every bit as well finished as the genuine thing. I also bought one for my Saturn and one for my Burgman bike, The bike is a questionable buy with the plug so accessible but the valve eliminates the need for a wrench. In a pinch I could pull off an oil change without tools.
    If you don't mind, please share which clones that you are buying?

    If you do your own oil changes, the oil drain valves are nice. I don't like spending any more time under my car than necessary. I doubt the oil pan drains out completely (due to the threads extending into the oil pan slightly), but I am not overly concerned about that. I usually drive the front of my Mirage up homemade 6" high wooden ramps when I drain the oil, & I think the angle helps drain the oil out more, too.

    Overall, the Mirage is quite easy to work on. Compared to most engine bays, the Mirage looks quite simple.

  5. #54
    Senior Member Wallythacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Niagara region
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    1,826
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 393 Times in 313 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If you don't mind, please share which clones that you are buying?

    If you do your own oil changes, the oil drain valves are nice. I don't like spending any more time under my car than necessary. I doubt the oil pan drains out completely (due to the threads extending into the oil pan slightly), but I am not overly concerned about that. I usually drive the front of my Mirage up homemade 6" high wooden ramps when I drain the oil, & I think the angle helps drain the oil out more, too.

    Overall, the Mirage is quite easy to work on. Compared to most engine bays, the Mirage looks quite simple.
    Not at all. These are great. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    I did find paperwork showing I bought 1 genuine Fumoto valve in 2018 but the mystery is where it went. It was only $23.50 US which is still real money but not $60+ like Amazon wants now. Fumoto still sells from their site at reasonable prices, 2 valves for about $50 US with free shipping and occasional coupon deals. But it took me a day to get my clones and as I said, they work great and you can't beat the value.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

    Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)


  6. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    SW, WI
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    6,335
    Thanks
    410
    Thanked 2,201 Times in 1,733 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Not at all. These are great. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    I did find paperwork showing I bought 1 genuine Fumoto valve in 2018 but the mystery is where it went. It was only $23.50 US which is still real money but not $60+ like Amazon wants now. Fumoto still sells from their site at reasonable prices, 2 valves for about $50 US with free shipping and occasional coupon deals. But it took me a day to get my clones and as I said, they work great and you can't beat the value.
    The clone does look the same. Even the black plastic piece to lock the valve lever in place looks identical. Thanks!



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •