Thread: Mirage G4 Sedan revealed! (Philippines)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Mirage G4 Sedan revealed! (Philippines)

http://motioncars.inquirer.net/13497...dan-and-prices

A few important points, especially vis-a-vis the hatchback version:

• The G4 will be PHP 80,000 (US$1,800) more expensive than comparable hatchback variants. In the Philippine market, hatchbacks are usually more expensive. This is the case for the Honda Jazz vs. City, Toyota Vios vs. Yaris, Hyundai Accent, Ford Fiesta, Mazda 2 and Suzuki Swift DZire vs. Swift Hatch.
    • It's still cheaper than the Toyota Vios, with the base variant coming in at PHP 20,000 (US$450). Taxi companies will snap this model up surely.
    • 85 HP? I don't think so; the sedan has the same engine and the spec sheets in other markets show the same 77HP rating from the hatchback.
    • The sedans do have more kit: alarms are standard (not present in the GLX hatch), and the GLS gets auto stop-and-go (absent from all local variants of the hatchback).
    • Mitsu is offering PHP40,000 (US$900) off for pre-orders. They gave the same discount for the hatchback launch last year, which I did manage to avail.

Verdict? Given the choice I'm still going for the hatch. Having said all of that, G4 is still an excellent value proposition; it's definitely going to be a hit.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alpha_One For This Useful Post:

CLARK (09-03-2013),Daox (09-03-2013),MetroMPG (09-03-2013),RapidRick (09-04-2013)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I like the front on the sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_One View Post
    • The sedans do have more kit ... the GLS gets auto stop-and-go (absent from all local variants of the hatchback).
    That bit is particularly interesting. First I've read of auto stop-and-go being available outside of Japan/Europe.

Surely that part will appeal to taxi operators too. The feature is usually good for a significant bump in fuel economy in urban use. It's the main reason (among several) that hybrids get such good city fuel economy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Image c/o ghosthunter of tsikot.com.

Correction: "start-stop" actually refers to keyless operation, not auto stop-and-go as per my first interpretation. So yeah, no AS&G for any of the Mirage variants over here.

The pre-release brochure confirms that the engine really is the same 77 HP unit powering the Mirage.Curb weight for the GLS MT variant is 875kg, 50kg heavier than its hatchback counterpart.

The interior is a two-tone, gray/white affair. The hatchback is offered here with an all-gray interior, although a handful of hatchbacks were shipped with the gray/white combination, which is available in other markets. I'd prefer the all-gray interior - easier to keep clean - but gray/white makes the car seem roomier.

Only six colors for the G4 compared to eight for the hatch; Same colors as the hatchback sans green and yellow. Surprisingly the white variant is GLS-only; I figured they'd have that on the cheaper model for taxi use. Philippine taxis are white by default.

UPDATE: According to the Philippines Mirage G4 website, there is an entry level "appliance white" color. This is definitely intended for taxi use.

Here in the Philippines, sedans are perceived as being "sensible" (i.e. boring, company/taxi vehicles) and hatchbacks are "sporty youthful" things. Due to this market perception hatchbacks are usually more expensive since the manufacturer puts in more toys in the hatchback models while the sedans will almost always have a stripped-down version for fleet sales. That also explains why the G4 lacks the "fun" colors in its selection. It's unfortunate that hatchbacks are perceived as "bachelor" cars over here, my childhood experience leads me to think that a hatchback is the perfect starter family vehicle!
    Last edited by Alpha_One; 09-04-2013 at 01:28 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alpha_One For This Useful Post:

CLARK (09-04-2013),RapidRick (09-04-2013)

Thanks for the additional info, Alpha.

Is the fuel economy rating the same for both cars? It seems as though the sedan should have slightly worse city economy owing to the extra weight (70 kilos / 154 lbs, did I read?).

Sounds like the US and PH have similar views on hatchbacks vs. sedans.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_One View Post
    Only six colors for the G4
    Really only 2 colours, and various shades of grey/white/black! Befitting the sedan's "serious" nature. (Boring!)

Country
    Philippines
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Does the mirage g4 in the Ph does now have a back up sensor?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Maybe they're taking their hints from Toyota or Honda. They have fairly bland styling, but sell loads of cars.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)