Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your greatest annoyance about the Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
    I wouldn't widen the tires on a mirage. It'll lower MPG.
    However taller tires, pumped up to 40PSI always is a good idea!
    Taller gear ratios, higher MPG, lower chance on the bottom hitting something, or the engine flooding when going through a deep puddle/small flood, softer/quieter road noises.
    The cons are slightly lower torque.
    You'd have to rev the engine to 4k RPM in order for the car to accelerate decently.

It needs an electric motor! Please Mitsubishi, make a Mirage Hybrid!
    I can deal with most of the issues you mentioned but need for taller gears nag at me every day since I spend 65% of my time on the interstate. I have no problem hovering at 4k RPM but gas mileage absolutely tanks, pun intended. I really want one of those taller 4th/5th gear sets from across the pond.

Also, I rarely use the AC in town because of how bad the compressor dogs the engine when accelerating. I'm usually exhausted by the time I get home from the heat.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.5 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 49.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Lmaoooo
    * KMB *

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 79.1 mpg (US) ... 33.6 km/L ... 3.0 L/100 km ... 95.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    After 10 years of Mirage ownership I can say with certainty, that gear ratios are 100% my greatest annoyance with these cars.

1)5th gear is wayyy too short. It essentially offers nothing over 4th. It either needs to be taller or have a 6th added.

1A)Reverse is wayyyyy too long. I don't need to go 30 MPH in Reverse! I need to be able to back up a steep incline with 80HP without slipping the clutch or stalling it.

These are easily correctable things that would have made the Mirage perfect.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

BigMW (03-08-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    After 10 years of Mirage ownership I can say with certainty, that gear ratios are 100% my greatest annoyance with these cars.

1)5th gear is wayyy too short. It essentially offers nothing over 4th. It either needs to be taller or have a 6th added.

1A)Reverse is wayyyyy too long. I don't need to go 30 MPH in Reverse! I need to be able to back up a steep incline with 80HP without slipping the clutch or stalling it.

I agree a taller 5th gear would make it better. I doubt we'll see anything with a manual transmission going forward from Mitsubishi in the States.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Completely agree. Would be super nice to have a very tall 5th gear.
    The reverse gear is way tall.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Annoyance hitlist, after 10 years ownership:

1.) The uncomfortable driver seat and too far forward headrest is a mild form of torture. Having to extend your head forward of the rest of the body for prolonged time is highly uncomfortable. Would like to strap the design person responsible to the seat for a few hours and watch when moaning sets in.

2.) Steering with much too much internal friction. The internal friction is probably intended as a steering damper. Driving on a straight highway becomes driving zigzag because of that. You want to make a minor correction in one direction, and nothing happens unless you increase and further increase pressure on the steering wheel. As result it jolts to the "corrected" direction. A few seconds later it needs correction again, now in the opposite direction, endlessly repeated, hence zigzag. The forces on my wrist while highway driving have already caused arthritis. Crappy at best.

3.) I fully agree about fifth gear! The difference between 4th and 5th is marginal. The 1.0L and 1.2L have the same MT gearbox, abeit somewhat taller in EU version. I have the 1.0L 3A90 in EU version. This being the smallest engine paired with the tallest transmission. I would like 5th to be about 15% to 20% taller than it is now, reducing noise and fuel consumption. I would never have bought the 1.2L with such an over-short gearbox! My car is used mainly for long distance driving.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

mohammad (03-08-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hmm...

My greatest annoyance with the Mirage is that there will be no more new Mirages when my 2014 gives out and I am ready to buy a new car (and the weird tire size with limited selection).

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pawpaw For This Useful Post:

BigMW (03-08-2024),inuvik (03-08-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
    Hmm...

My greatest annoyance with the Mirage is that there will be no more new Mirages when my 2014 gives out and I am ready to buy a new car (and the weird tire size with limited selection).
    pawpaw! Long time no see. How’s things?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,010 Posts

I can live with 5th. Because at the very least, when you're rolling along in 5th at 80 mph, it's turning in the vicinity of 4,000 rpm. Which is max power rpm. So when hitting a big hill at 80 mph, it pulls it like it ain't no thang! That is impressive for a car with 78 hp! I sure as heck don't want to have to downshift. That and it has a pleasant purr / growl at 4,000 rpm. And the mpg is still excellent.

But reverse. Yes, it could be half as tall. I back up, uphill in my driveway. Luckily it's straight. I fully engage reverse ... I don't slip it going up that driveway. I have to gas it just a little above idle to prevent the engine from stalling. This causes me to be moving at a fairly good clip backing up my driveway.

There's little kids that play out in the road / cul-de-sac. I've seen their parents show caution when they see me backing up my driveway. It's that fast. It is totally unnecessary to be geared like that. Half the ratio would be great. BTW, I clutch and either stop or come near a stop at the end of my driveway. It levels off just before the road. So I near stop so that I can creep out carefully watching for cars or those kids. I LOVE THOSE KIDS OUT THERE screaming, yelling, banging, running, etc ... that's what kids should be doing! Not staring at screens.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-08-2024)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    How about rain sensing wipers? I would take normal intermittent wipers ANY day over those stupid rain sensing wipers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.9 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.8 mpg (Imp)