Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your greatest annoyance about the Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    No telescopic steering. My left leg hits the steering wheel at its highest setting, while my driver seat is set to it's lowest.

For $6k (what the car really is worth with 20k miles on), I don't care how the steering is.
    But for $15k (today's prices), it should drive like a luxury car, and it doesn't.

Add to that the ugly small wheels, too small trunk, and no android auto, and the hatchback is a nogo for me.
    The sedan (G4) I might consider with a cvt.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ProDigit For This Useful Post:

mohammad (06-18-2022)

Yeah, I agree on the telescopic steering. There seems to be an unwritten rule that A-segment cars (that's the European label for "mini" city cars) don't get them. Even the newest, more expensive Europe-only cars in this segment don't get this feature (Toyota Aygo X for example).

I've never seen a G4 (it ain't for sale anywhere in Europe to the best of my knowledge) in person, but on photos the small wheels bother me more on the G4 than the small hatchback. But each to its own, I guess.

The European name for the Mirage, Space Star, is a bit over the top IMO, but for me, the trunk size is hardly a problem. I can imagine if you have a small family, or need room for some hobby, you'll quickly run out of space, however.

Finally, I've come to the sad conclusion that $12K is the new $6K regarding cars, sadly (or in my country: 15.000 EUR is the new 8.000 EUR). I'm no economic expert, still, I'd be surprised if that would change back anytime soon.
    Last edited by vintzend; 06-18-2022 at 06:24 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vintzend View Post
    Yeah, I agree on the telescopic steering. There seems to be an unwritten rule that A-segment cars (that's the European label for "mini" city cars) don't get them. Even the newest, more expensive Europe-only cars in this segment don't get this feature (Toyota Aygo X for example).

I've never seen a G4 (it ain't for sale anywhere in Europe to the best of my knowledge) in person, but on photos the small wheels bother me more on the G4 than the small hatchback. But each to its own, I guess.

The European name for the Mirage, Space Star, is a bit over the top IMO, but for me, the trunk size is hardly a problem. I can imagine if you have a small family, or need room for some hobby, you'll quickly run out of space, however.

Finally, I've come to the sad conclusion that $12K is the new $6K regarding cars, sadly (or in my country: 15.000 EUR is the new 8.000 EUR). I'm no economic expert, still, I'd be surprised if that would change back anytime soon.
    Thats because the G4 as well as the older Mirages still use the 14" rims. The modern mirage come from the factory with 15" rims.
    Thankfully the rims are probably the easiest thing to replace.
    Also, you can add a taller profile tire (1" larger diameter), which helps in terms of looks.

I do uner and lyft, so being able to stow away 1 large suitcase and 1 handluggage is a must, amd preferably 2 large suitcases. The G4 has a standard trunk that can easily take 1 large amd 2 hand, or 2 large and some backpacks.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
    Thats because the G4 as well as the older Mirages still use the 14" rims. The modern mirage come from the factory with 15" rims.
    A 2017-22 Mirage & G4 may have 14" or 15" wheels depending on the trim level, but trim levels have also changed during that.

For example a 2018-20 Mirage LE would have had 15" black alloy wheel, and the upper level 2017-20 SE would have had 14" silver alloy wheels.

In 2020, the LE was downgraded to 14" wheels, and the SE became the top trim level (replacing the GT) with 15" alloy wheels.

In the 2014-15, the ES was the top trim level. Since 2017, the ES has been the base trim level.

It's all as clear as mud!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    A 2017-22 Mirage & G4 may have 14" or 15" wheels depending on the trim level, but trim levels have also changed during that.

For example a 2018-20 Mirage LE would have had 15" black alloy wheel, and the upper level 2017-20 SE would have had 14" silver alloy wheels.

In 2020, the LE was downgraded to 14" wheels, and the SE became the top trim level (replacing the GT) with 15" alloy wheels.

In the 2014-15, the ES was the top trim level. Since 2017, the ES has been the base trim level.

It's all as clear as mud!
    We're looking at getting a 2022 SE with 15" wheels. Honestly, I don't think small wheels are ugly. Hell, didn't a lot of cars come with 13" wheels in the 80s & 90s?

I hate that monster wheels with skinny low profile tires are the norm now. I like a lot of rubber between the road and my wheels.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    We're looking at getting a 2022 SE with 15" wheels. Honestly, I don't think small wheels are ugly. Hell, didn't a lot of cars come with 13" wheels in the 80s & 90s?

I hate that monster wheels with skinny low profile tires are the norm now. I like a lot of rubber between the road and my wheels.
    Smoother ride and protects the wheels better, for sure.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (06-19-2022),TheProfessorKMB (03-05-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

I agree that low profile tires on a truck look absolutely stupid!

For anyone reading this thread -

A 175/65r14 tire (23" diameter) on a 14" rim is larger than a factory 175/55r15 tire (22.6" diameter) on a 15" rim. If someone upgrades to a more common size 185/55r15 tire (23"), it's only 10 mm wider (same diameter as the 175/65r14 tire).

Some are going larger (higher profile) than 23" diameter tires, but that could be done with any size rim. 14" & 15" rims will offer the best tire choices that will fit under a Mirage. Some Mirage owners seem to consider an upgrade to 175/65r14 or 185/55r15 tires, because of more tire choices.

Personally, I think Walmart is one of the best places to compare tire options. Last time I bought a pair of tires from Walmart, the mounting was free & lifetime balancing cost was $14/tire. The disposal of older tires was $1.50/tires.

Just for comparison -

14" tires
    Tire Rack offers 8 165/65r14 tire choices (including a new Vredestein Snowtrac 5),
    & 8 175/65r14 tire choice today.

Walmart offers 34 165/65r14 tire choices (several are currently out of stock)
    & 248 175/65r14 tire choices.

15" tires
    Tire Rack offers 8 175/55r15 tire choices (all quite expensive in my opinion)
    & 20 185/55r15 tire choices.

Walmart offers 37 175/55r15 tire choices
    & 182 185/55r15 tire choices

Final points -

Walmart has way more tire offerings, because they will sell tires through various vendors (not unlike Amazon). Even though these tires may come through other vendors, Walmart will still honor the free mounting of them. $14/tire for lifetime balance is cheaper than most places.

You can buy tires mounted on rims from tirerack.com, but TPMS has made that a somewhat useless offer. Most tire installers for Tire Rack are going to charge approximately $25/tire to mount/balance them on your rims with sensors.

If I am buying a set of tires from Walmart, I may save $44 for installation. Plus, Walmart is much closer to me than the nearest indicated Tire Rack installer.

Walmart is a good place to shop for tires. Once you pick out a tire or two that you may like, I still suggest giving your local tire guys a shot. If you have a Discount Tire near you, I would shop there, too.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (06-19-2022),Dirk Diggler (06-20-2022),vintzend (06-20-2022)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I agree that low profile tires on a truck look absolutely stupid!

For anyone reading this thread -

A 175/65r14 tire (23" diameter) on a 14" rim is larger than a factory 175/55r15 tire (22.6" diameter) on a 15" rim. If someone upgrades to a more common size 185/55r15 tire (23"), it's only 10 mm wider (same diameter as the 175/65r14 tire).

Some are going larger (higher profile) than 23" diameter tires, but that could be done with any size rim. 14" & 15" rims will offer the best tire choices that will fit under a Mirage. Some Mirage owners seem to consider an upgrade to 175/65r14 or 185/55r15 tires, because of more tire choices.

Personally, I think Walmart is one of the best places to compare tire options. Last time I bought a pair of tires from Walmart, the mounting was free & lifetime balancing cost was $14/tire. The disposal of older tires was $1.50/tires.

Just for comparison -

14" tires
    Tire Rack offers 8 165/65r14 tire choices (including a new Vredestein Snowtrac 5),
    & 8 175/65r14 tire choice today.

Walmart offers 34 165/65r14 tire choices (several are currently out of stock)
    & 248 175/65r14 tire choices.

15" tires
    Tire Rack offers 8 175/55r15 tire choices (all quite expensive in my opinion)
    & 20 185/55r15 tire choices.

Walmart offers 37 175/55r15 tire choices
    & 182 185/55r15 tire choices

Final points -

Walmart has way more tire offerings, because they will sell tires through various vendors (not unlike Amazon). Even though these tires may come through other vendors, Walmart will still honor the free mounting of them. $14/tire for lifetime balance is cheaper than most places.

You can buy tires mounted on rims from tirerack.com, but TPMS has made that a somewhat useless offer. Most tire installers for Tire Rack are going to charge approximately $25/tire to mount/balance them on your rims with sensors.

If I am buying a set of tires from Walmart, I may save $44 for installation. Plus, Walmart is much closer to me than the nearest indicated Tire Rack installer.

Walmart is a good place to shop for tires. Once you pick out a tire or two that you may like, I still suggest giving your local tire guys a shot. If you have a Discount Tire near you, I would shop there, too.
    Oh definitely Discount Tire for me. I like their customer service and good prices.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh definitely Discount Tire for me. I like their customer service and good prices.
    If one is shopping for 165/65r14 tires, the Kumho Solus TA31 is sort of today's benchmark in my mind (because of its 60,000 mile warranty). It's $78 @ Discount Tire & $78.81 @ Walmart today. Mounting/balancing costs added in would get my business. In my case, Discount Tire is not happening (not near me), but it may be the best option for others.

The Kumho Solus TA31 & Dunlop Enasave are the only two 165/65r14 tires DT offers today, but their prices beat Walmart for both.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (06-20-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wouldn't widen the tires on a mirage. It'll lower MPG.
    However taller tires, pumped up to 40PSI always is a good idea!
    Taller gear ratios, higher MPG, lower chance on the bottom hitting something, or the engine flooding when going through a deep puddle/small flood, softer/quieter road noises.
    The cons are slightly lower torque.
    You'd have to rev the engine to 4k RPM in order for the car to accelerate decently.

It needs an electric motor! Please Mitsubishi, make a Mirage Hybrid!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ProDigit For This Useful Post:

mohammad (06-21-2022)