Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dolores first oil change filter will not budge

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Dolores first oil change filter will not budge

Springtime I go through our cars A to Z. I drain the oil, try to remove the oil filter won’t budge I have every proper sized oil filter removal tool in my armory (thanks to my dad) nothing works. Yes, I was moving the filter in the correct direction (lefty loosely) even refilled with new oil and tried heating the engine nope. My dad was a heavy duty mechanic I’ve been around all kinds of equipment from a simple 1 ton car to 60 ton equipment. Recalling my experiences with dad I was thinking of going the messy route via the screw driver in the filter but decided to set an appointment with our family mechanic who does inspections, tire balancing, etc.

Never had this happen but helped others via the screwdriver method. I hope Dott is not the same. I admit my manly personality was bruised but I’m more of a man allowing someone to help.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    The original filter is really on tight from the factory. I had to practically destroy mine with a strap wrench to get it off. I can now remove it with my bare hands when I do my own oil changes, but I bought one of THESE just in case I ever get into another situation where the filter just doesn't want to come off.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 04-25-2017 at 05:43 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    For changing the original (extra tight!) oil filter, I used a 65-14 filter cap. 65 is the size in mm, and it has 14 "teeth", hence 65-14.
    I fully agree with Top_Fuel. After you have changed the original factory-mounted oil filter, you will find it is fully sufficient to tighten or remove it simply and very easily by hand. Just stick to the tightening instructions printed on the box.

PS: On thes cars, you need to have small tools! A little quarter-inch ratchet box is big enough for almost everything.
    Last edited by foama; 04-25-2017 at 06:01 PM.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thanks for the input. I have the exact cap 65-14. Thinking back I've done hundreds of filter changes on all types of equipment while helping my dad or DIY family cars, trucks, small engines. I literally was moving the engine with the force I applied that's when I gave up I didn't want to break anything.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Yeah...that sucks. I didn't get my original one off with that 65-14 cap. I used a strap wrench and probably had to mess with it for 10 minutes to get the right angle with enough leverage to make it budge. Once I broke it loose, it was downhill from there. But...I was literally crushing the filter before it started turning. You aren't left with a lot of options if you crush the filter and it still doesn't move.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    You aren't left with a lot of options if you crush the filter and it still doesn't move.
    At that point, you're looking at jamming a big screwdriver through what's left of the filter, in order to get better leverage. Not ideal.

Having read on this forum about how tight the filters are from the factory, I gladly let Mitsubishi do the first oil/filter change, especially since the first change was free. Since then, no problems.

I just changed my oil last week. I found it was easier to loosen the filter from underneath, and then reach down from the top to finish unscrewing it from the block. Keeps you from getting hot oil dumped down your hands.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wellswebdesign View Post
    Having read on this forum about how tight the filters are from the factory, I gladly let Mitsubishi do the first oil/filter change, especially since the first change was free. Since then, no problems.
    Me too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Be sure to apply oil to the filter gasket when putting the new one in. This probably didn't happen at the factory, so the rubber gasket essentially bakes itself onto the block. This is usually what makes them hard to remove...it's not that they are over-torqued.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-26-2017),MightyMirageMpg (04-26-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I remember removing my first Mirage oil filter....like DotandDolores all the proper tools and know how,it just wouldn't budge.
    I managed to get a pair of big Channelocks up there and got enough leverage to break it free 1/4 inch....wow!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

I use the same kind of cap that topfuel posted for the first oil changes. The factory filter is small and way too tight. The filters I get from the dealer are longer and I don't need any tools to remove them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)