Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: What car did your Mirage replace? Trade-in, sold, or none of the above?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberts View Post
    I traded in my 2011 Dodge Challenger R/T with a 5.7 Hemi putting out 375hp.
    Wow that's a lot of car. I'll bet that was a lot of fun to drive. I can see myself accumulating speeding tickets with that one.

Hey Roberts would you make a garage entry so we can see what you're driving now?

Garage empty: add car

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sensha replaced my 2004 Honda Accord Coupe i4. Both 5 speed, both fwd, both reliable but aside from being put together with metric bolts, that's where the similarities end. The accord was glorious to drive but had no grip and the suspension was shot. In spite of loose bushings that couldn't be replaced because the bolts were rusted into the sleeves, Seras (the Accord) was stable on the highway and cornered like a dream. Sensha clings to each corner and won't let go for anything but feels dangerous crossing the Hoan bridge or basically driving in the wind at all. I cannot abide the potential for disaster that comes with rolling around in a wobbly sailboat. If I glance away from the lines for a moment, the car begins to change lanes on it's own.
    2014 Mirage GLX 5MT Plasma Purple
    2004 Accord EX 5MT Graphite Pearl RIP

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. -- That's why Ford outsells Mitsu in the US

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bzacon For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (12-20-2017),MightyMirageMpg (12-19-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bzacon View Post
    If I glance away from the lines for a moment, the car begins to change lanes on it's own.
    While I haven't had this happen to me in quite some time, stuff like this usually keeps me on my toes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

I cannot abide the potential for disaster that comes with rolling around in a wobbly sailboat.
    Was it the same with the bigger tires? My guess is yes... probably needs a stabilizer bar/springs to make it feel more stable.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (12-19-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The hoan bridge is notoriously windy. its pretty much above the city on 1 side and the 2nd biggest inland lake in America (lake Michigan) on the other, so there's nothing blocking the big gusts from hitting you full blast

I also drive it almost everyday and with the mirage the wind it just blows you around. I doubt any mod will make a big difference. I was excited when i got my springs, there probably was a difference (stiffer, and lower CG) but it's still totally unacceptable, i agree.

I think it's the weight of the car i had an 84 mazda glc and it was similar experience

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

bzacon (12-20-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Was it the same with the bigger tires? My guess is yes... probably needs a stabilizer bar/springs to make it feel more stable.
    Having owned a '14 and now my '17, the '17 is so much better in the wind. It stills moves around but nothing like a '14.

I can actually knee steer the '17 @90mph and let go the wheel entirely @60mph for a few seconds without my car changing lanes. There were times in the '14 I came close to clipping the guy in the adjacent lane because Zero would dart over on me.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    The hoan bridge is notoriously windy. its pretty much above the city on 1 side and the 2nd biggest inland lake in America (lake Michigan) on the other, so there's nothing blocking the big gusts from hitting you full blast

I also drive it almost everyday and with the mirage the wind it just blows you around. I doubt any mod will make a big difference. I was excited when i got my springs, there probably was a difference (stiffer, and lower CG) but it's still totally unacceptable, i agree.

I think it's the weight of the car i had an 84 mazda glc and it was similar experience
    I cross two similar bridges very often, weekly or more. The Garden City and Burlington Bay Skyways have all of Lake Ontario on one side. My '17 is so much better than the '14 on the bridges. Still, I'd like a rear sway bar, stiffer springs and possibly lower the car a bit.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

bzacon (12-20-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's perhaps the only trade of a domestic for an import that I could possibly criticize, and damn do I respect you for it. Anyone who can trade a Challenger for a Mirage has more confidence in one finger than most people ever achieve in their whole body.

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. -- That's why Ford outsells Mitsu in the US

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Right, I agree, it's just too light. I keep mine well loaded but most of the weight is in the trunk and back seats (hydraulic jack, tools, emergency gear, etc.) but as the rear springs are not progressive the rear just sags and doesn't feel much stiffer. I really couldn't expect handling excellence from a car half the original purchase price, taller, and less than 2/3 the weight of the outgoing car, but a feeling of relative safety would be nice. I'll seriously consider some suspension mods now that I know Mitsu isn't going to touch my defective rear stabilizer bar anyway, but it's probably better to just stay off the Hoan during windy days. Thanks everyone here for the input!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I Purchased my 2014 Mirage new when I moved to Nova Scotia.
    It didn't replace any car really, I just needed a car that would be good on gas.

I live out in the country about 25min drive 33km/20.5 miles from the nearest town, and my job at that time was 50kms/31 miles away.

I drove from Niagara Falls Ontario in a 1986 Chevy K30 with a 6.2L Diesel engine, and the amount I was spending on fuel was ridiculous on my work commutes.
    I also had a 2nd car still in Ontario (sadly still is waiting for me) a 1988 Cadillac Brougham D'elegance. It would be just as bad in gas actually.

So it replaced neither of them.
    My wife actually stole this car from me, and the Mirage is her daily driver.
    I drove a 2006 Sebring for awhile, and now I got a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer for myself.
    (Sold my truck because tough times)