Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Replacement Struts and Shocks

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    That's my feeling as well. Is there any remedy for it? I'm wondering if more aggressive spring rate would help. Maybe it's time for a set of Eibachs!

Last edited by 88coltturbo; 03-28-2022 at 05:04 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.1 mpg (US) ... 17.0 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 48.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Does the strut have a top hat/mount that also needs to be replaced? I didnt see a part available in rockauto.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    If you're doing work like that I'd buy, steal or borrow an impact as well. It's a one time thing that should last many moons. You can justify it by not paying a shop to do the work for you. It'll be a huge time saver.
    I have 3 impacts; 2 battery operated (small/medium) and a large one that plugs in the 120v. I bought the medium specifically for the shock removal since it has lower tq ratings than the large one. I just dont want to install the new shocks and break them before leaving the driveway because the impact has damaged it.

Quote Originally Posted by 88coltturbo View Post
    That's my feeling as well. Is there any remedy for it? I'm wondering if more aggressive spring rate would help. Maybe it's time for a set of Eibachs!
    Back in the day, some VW bug lowering springs bolt on the mirage pretty well. I have one of the said springs in the rears and the difference is night/day. Though I also installed the swaybar at the same time; adding stiffer springs will definitely lessen kissing that bump-stop, but adding the swaybar will also help in stability.

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Does the strut have a top hat/mount that also needs to be replaced? I didnt see a part available in rockauto.

I have 3 impacts; 2 battery operated (small/medium) and a large one that plugs in the 120v. I bought the medium specifically for the shock removal since it has lower tq ratings than the large one. I just dont want to install the new shocks and break them before leaving the driveway because the impact has damaged it.

Back in the day, some VW bug lowering springs bolt on the mirage pretty well. I have one of the said springs in the rears and the difference is night/day. Though I also installed the swaybar at the same time; adding stiffer springs will definitely lessen kissing that bump-stop, but adding the swaybar will also help in stability.
    Gotcha. If you have an impact then you "probably" don't need those amazon sockets. Or at least you shouldn't. I think I mentioned previously that I just zipped the rear shock upper nuts off with an impact and just did the reach around grabbing the shock boot. Just holding the boot/bellow/bump stop was enough to stop the rod/stud from spinning. Just hit the impact a couple times(push trigger...) rather than holding it constantly(thus heating up the shaft/melting the boot making it a gong show).

And yeah, there is an upper strut mount that usually doesn't come included when you buy struts unless you find some pre-assembled ones. That might be a dealer item? I've never tried to source them out.

When you guy's say bump stop you mean when the shock bottoms out?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    When you guy's say bump stop you mean when the shock bottoms out?
    Yes - my experience. Not sure if I read 88coltturbo's post correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Yes - my experience. Not sure if I read 88coltturbo's post correctly.
    Reading is hard. I guess it was basic that said axle hitting bump stops. Same shart.

Some people have stuffed airbags in the rear coils to help stiffen them up. Might be worth a try?

I have to haul a load of my parents crap from my garage to my sisters place tomorrow, it'll probably be the most weight I've had in my car. I won't have a chance to go over my favorite launch site on the freeway with that load but I'll be sure to post if I notice any bottoming out with the 183k mile shocks on mine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)