Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel efficient tires for 14" OE wheels

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts

Fuel efficient tires for 14" OE wheels

We have a wonderful thread by Top Fuel on how to go about finding 15" wheels and tires that will return good fuel efficiency. However, I don't think we have a more comprehensive thread on the 14" OE size tire options. So, I'd like to start one.

When I am looking for new tires, I always check out a bunch of information on them. I like tires with good grip of course, but fuel efficiency is a big focus for me (and probably a lot of you). Sadly, the OE tire size of 165/65R14 is quite an oddball size, so there really is not a ton of selection. However, there are several other sizes that will fit on the original equipment wheels weather they be steel or aluminum alloy wheels. I would like this thread to explore those options with an emphasis on fuel efficiency.

Here are the tires I've found so far:

165/65R14
    • Dunlop Ecopia A/S (OE tire)
    • Bridgestone Potenza RE92
    • Vredestein Quatrac 5

175/65R14 (2.7% larger diameter tire)
    • Hankook Kinergy ST H735

185/60/R14 (1.3% larger diameter tire)
    • Firestone Fuel Fighter
    • Hankook Kinergy ST H735

Out of these tires, the OE Dunlop Enasave is by far the most expensive. On tire rack its currently going for $119 each.

The Potenza RE92 is known by the 1st gen Honda Insight owners as being a wonderfully low rolling resistance tire which means its great for fuel economy. Its current price is $86 on discount tire. This sets the bar pretty high unless the competitors can really reduce the price.

The Fuel Fighter is a claimed LRR tire, and returned the best fuel economy in this test done by tire rack. It is currently priced at $82 on tire rack.

The Quatrac 5 is not a claimed LRR tire. According to its European tire label, its ranked a "C" out of their A - G ranking system. The EU label says an "A" tire can see a 9% fuel economy increase over a "G" tire. Most other tires I found were rate "F", so I added it to the list. The Quatrac 5 are priced at $80 as of writing this.

That is where the Kinergy ST tires come in. They are priced right around $60. When purchasing 4 tires that adds up quick. This prices them almost $100 cheaper than the RE92s, and are a claimed LRR tire. However, they are a bit newer, and there really isn't much for reviews or feedback on them yet.

I am still digging into more tires. Finding information on their fuel consumption is not very easy sadly. Its really helpful when places like tire rack or the EU label can provide testing that shows some comparison. I'm hoping to find more info on other tires with their EU label so they can be compared. It would be great to find some more options out there.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (11-19-2018),Eggman (11-19-2018),Top_Fuel (11-19-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    For future reference, this seems like a good site to look up the EU label on different tires. They have a MASSIVE selection of 165/65R14 tires on there... "C" for fuel economy seems to be the highest rating I have seen.

https://www.oponeo.co.uk
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (11-19-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I did find the Federal SS657 EU label. I know a few people here are running this tire. It ranks an "F" in fuel economy.

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m4b0s400p..._Noise%3A_70dB

Name:  federaltire.jpg
Views: 2938
Size:  77.7 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Good tire, but I think it's a fair fuel economy rating. I took about a 1.5-2.0 mpg hit (not so much in the city but highway) with these.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-19-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I did find the Federal SS657 EU label. I know a few people here are running this tire. It ranks an "F" in fuel economy.
    When I lost a Dunlop to a sidewall blow out @ 15,000 miles, I bought a pair of the Federal SS657 tires. Since I am still using 165/65r14 tires, I kept the extra Dunlop. I wish that I had more experience with the Federal SS657 to share, but I only have about 3,000 miles on them. My initial impression of them is very good! You can find this tire for $50 or less with free shipping, & it seems to be a good tire. If Dunlop & Bridgestone tires were the same price, I would still pick the Federal. The other two don't impress me, & the price of them is sad.

Federal also makes a LRR tire in the 165/65r14 size. I've seen them listed on simple tire.com for about $60 in the past. Presently, they are not listed. It's called the FORMOZA GIO. Personally I am happy enough with the SS657, but it is an option to explore (if LRR is your number # 1 priority). You can find this tire listed on Federal tires website.

https://www.federaltire.com/en/produ...s_detail_sn=34

Unless I jump to a 175/65r14 tire size, my future tire purchases may be the Vredestein Quatrac 5. I have to climb a winter hill road that doesn't get much sunlight to get home. A little extra traction may trump LRR tires for me. I am a firm believer in narrow tires on small lightweight front wheel drive do better in the snow than wide tires. Thus, I don't mind sticking with 165/65r14 as long as they are available & affordable. I don't blame others for jumping to the 175/65r14 tire size, however. The choices become endless.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (11-19-2018),Daox (11-19-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks Mark! I hadn't heard of the FORMOZA GIO. I was able to find the EU label for this tire as well. It ranks only a little better than the SS657 for fuel economy. Slightly better in wet traction too, but the same in noise.

Name:  federalformoza.jpg
Views: 2761
Size:  81.9 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You forgot to mention my tire:
    175/65-14 82T Falken Sincera SN250 AS All-Season (80k mile warranty)

Gas mileage for me has been as high as 55 mpg on drives where my speed is between 35 and 55 mph. On the highway at speeds ranging from 70 to 75 mph my gas mileage is between 42 and 46 mpg.

That is what the stock computer tells me my gas mileage is. I suppose it is just a hair higher than what the computer reports since my tire size is a little bit larger than stock.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I can't really find any info regarding fuel economy on that tire Steve. It appears to be made more specifically as a long treadware / extended service life tire. There is no EU label for the tire that I could find. Even on Falken's site, other tires they make have a 0 to 5 rating for fuel economy. However, the Sincera SN250 simply does not have any rating for fuel economy at all. However, the price and treadware definitely make it a reasonable consideration for a low lifetime cost tire as it seems to sell for ~$60.

Finding information on the fuel economy rating of a tire is kind of like a wack-a-mole game. Some tires have info, others don't. You just gotta keep pounding the little table until you find one. That is where threads like these really help out IMO.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I get good fuel economy and I don’t have to pay the tire guy every 40k miles. That’s the mpg rating for the tire.

I went through a set of Dunlop tires and a set of Goodyear Viva 3 tires before finding this gem. My car has also had more than one oil change in its life.

To each his own I suppose. These tires work for me and I was simply trying to share my real world experience. If someone would rather read specs from a book then I guess I better shut up.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

14" tires

Some have the impression that 15” tires will generate more tire options for the Mirage. I feel that is somewhat of a myth. If you are looking at small tires for small cars, 15” tires will actually reduce your tire options. Thus, this thread on 14” tires was a good one to start in my mind. I only bring this up, because I get the impression that some feel tiny 14" tires limit options. I think that is a misconception.

Just using Walmart’s website to make my point, I looked up how many tire offerings were listed for some of the more common 14” & 15” tires sizes that would work on a Mirage (without any major modifications done to the car).

I also stuck within a 3% variance in outside diameter tire sizes, because many consider that acceptable. Thus, any tire that falls within an outside diameter of 22.4” to 23.0” should be perfectly fine.

I picked 3 of more commonly used Mirage tire sizes in both 14” & 15” tires. Using Walmart as a tire source, I listed how many tire options were offered. I did not take the time to see how many duplicates were listed. I only searched the specific tire size on line, & I wrote down what came up.

Listed below is the tire size, outside diameter, variance, & # of Walmart tire options offered -

14” Walmart tire options listed on line = 164
    165/65r14*, 22.4”, 0%, offers 3 tire options
    185/60r14, 22.7”, +1.3%, offers 75 tire options
    175/65r14, 23.0”, +2.7%, offers 86 tire options

15” Walmart tire options listed on line = 84
    175/55r15*, 22.6”, +0.9%, offers 9 tire options
    195/50r15**, 22.7”, +1.3%, offers 33 tire options
    185/55r15, 23.0”, +2.7%, offers 42 tire options

* factory stock tires
    ** may require a wider rim with a different offset to even work

Keep in mind the Mirage stock rims are 4.5” wide.
    Rim width = Recommended tire widths below -
    4.5” = 145-175
    5.0” = 155-185
    5.5” = 165-195
    6.0” = 175-205
    6.5” = 185-215

Even the two tire sizes that come factory stock on the Mirage don’t match perfectly. Given the U.S. tire market, the Mirage should come with factory stock 175/65r14 & 185/55r15 tires. These two tires match perfectly (23”), & these two tires sizes are way more common for the U.S. market. Some U.S. tire companies start with the size 175/65r14 & go up from there.

If I was switching tire sizes, I wouldn't rule out what Steve (Falken sincera sn250 as all-season) is suggesting. They are a great price, wear well, & give him great mpg. Unlike most of us, he is putting on the miles. I appreciate those who share what is or is not working well for them.