Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sound coming from the front ...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    Portugal
    Thanks

Sound coming from the front ...

I began to ear a sound coming from the front when cruising at low speed over a stone brick road, its like a suspension work sound, not the brake pad metalic noise...strange thing is that when i press the brakes it stops or reduces...
    Checked visually and didnt saw nothing wrong...im going to test again tomorow.

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Loose lugnuts or wheel?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitaminado View Post
    I began to hear a sound coming from the front
    ...when cruising at low speed over a stone brick road
    ...its like a suspension sound
    ...when I press the brakes it stops...
    Yes...I have this EXACT scenario going on with my 2015 right now!

If I roll the windows down and drive slowly over some bumps, I hear something rattling up in the front end. If I just barely touch the brake pedal, the noise immediately stops completely. That's the first clue as to what the noise is.

I've had this happen with another vehicle with front disk brakes. There are "anti-rattle" clips in the front brake calipers to keep the disk brake pads from rattling around when the brakes aren't applied. I suspect something has happened with these. This would explain why the noise goes away with even the lightest brake pedal pressure.

But when I look at the parts breakdown for the front disk brakes, the Mirage doesn't use anti-rattle clips!

Here's the Mirage front brake diagram below. The outboard pads are held firmly in place with clips built into the brake pads So I think the noise is coming from the inner brake pads. You won't notice anything unless you remove the brake caliper to examine them.

Name:  brakes.jpg
Views: 4122
Size:  85.9 KB

I will be pulling my wheels off in the next week or so and will be checking these out. I'll Let you know what I find out.

Here's the outboard brake pad held firmly in place with clips built into the pad...

Name:  clip.jpg
Views: 3366
Size:  98.7 KB

Here are some images of Eclipse front brakes. Notice the anti-rattle clips here (part #17) that the Mirage doesn't have...

Name:  rattle.jpg
Views: 3544
Size:  88.0 KB

Name:  rattle2.jpg
Views: 3245
Size:  53.9 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

IwantaMirage (06-06-2017),MetroMPG (06-29-2017)

Country
    Portugal
    Thanks
    My car as only 12000km and makes a year this month, for try i put max psi 35 (for speeds above 160km), still ear the noise...its not the rattle from de brake pad (usually a more metálicas sound) its a more choked sound...i hope not to regret buying this car....i mostly drive highway...but a very small part of my trip is made in stone brick road.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitaminado View Post
    I began to ear a sound coming from the front when cruising at low speed over a stone brick road, its like a suspension work sound, not the brake pad metalic noise...strange thing is that when i press the brakes it stops or reduces...
    Checked visually and didnt saw nothing wrong...im going to test again tomorow.
    Sorry to hear that, did you take it to the dealer to be checked yet?

Maybe try some of this on your rotor for the squeal. Attachment 9371

I had a clunk in a Fullsize van the other day. The Caliper pin bushings were worn allowing the caliper to bounce around. You could feel it in the floor. New caliper bolts and bushing kit fixed that. Maybe try pulling your caliper bolts and check them out or grease them.

I don't know if I'd call them antirattle clips but there are clips that the inner brake pad sits in that aren't shown in the parts breakdown. Attachment 9372
    Last edited by Fummins; 06-07-2017 at 02:14 PM. Reason: ignore the first part of my post, I just skimmed the original post...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-29-2017),Top_Fuel (06-07-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I don't know if I'd call them antirattle clips but there are clips that the inner brake pad sits in that aren't shown in the parts breakdown.
    Thanks for posting that. I thought there might be something there, but the parts breakdown was confusing me.

These are the first things I will look at when I pull my wheels in a week or so. I'm pretty confident this is the source of my noise. If I just barely touch the brake pedal, my noise goes away completely.

UPDATE...

Looks like RockAuto carries them as part of a "Disc Brake Hardware Kit"...

Name:  clip2.jpg
Views: 3159
Size:  71.2 KB
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 06-07-2017 at 06:11 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-07-2017),MetroMPG (06-29-2017),Wayne (07-29-2017)

Country
    Portugal
    Thanks
    Its going to the dealer next week for anual service.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just thought I would post an update. Last night I went to pull my front brake calipers off so I could see if the 'anti-rattle' clips on the inner pads were the source of my front end rattle.

The first thing you have to do to remove the brake caliper is to unbolt the 2 caliper slide pins. The first caliper slide pin I went to remove wasn't even finger tight! Doh!!! This was allowing the caliper to rattle around until the brakes were applied. I tightened it up and my problem was solved.

When my car was new, I completely disassembled my front brakes and painted everything in preparation for my new wheels. I apparently didn't tighten that slide bolt enough. All the others were fine...but that one had managed to back itself out over the last 18 months.

There are anti-rattle clips that the inner pads use. They were in perfect shape so I didn't need to do anything with them. For anyone interested, the hardware kit I mentioned in post #7 of this thread is the correct one for the Mirage.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-16-2017),Fummins (06-21-2017),MetroMPG (06-29-2017),Wayne (07-29-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I apparently didn't tighten that slide bolt enough.
    We will just say it was the heat cycles and thermal expansion

Vit fulll lock