Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cost of ownership vs Yaris

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Cost of ownership vs Yaris

I've got a 2014 Mirage with 65k miles. When it hits 100k my plan is to give it to my wife and get another small car. I'm leaning against the Mirage and for the Yaris because I'm afraid the repair costs are going to be very high for the Mirage from 100-200k. So far I've dodged a lot of bullets but I'm afraid my luck will run out eventually with the Mirage. I almost needed a new key for $400, luckily I found my old one. The passenger airbag sensor went out at 61k miles. Luckily the dealer cut me some slack and replaced it under warranty. That would've been $1200. My shocks feel a little mushy but they cost $500 for crappy OEMs and no one makes an aftermarket shock. I can choose from about 8 shocks from $20-60 a piece for the Yaris. I just checked on another common wear item, the AC compressor. For the OEM Mirage it's $720 compressor $333 for the condenser. I couldn't find any for the Mirage. For the Yaris it's $335 and $48 for the aftermarket! My guess is I'll spend maybe 3-5k more on the Mirage for repair costs from 100-200k. I can probably cut some costs by taking a chance on used parts but who wants to turn every car repair into a research project?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    3-5k is an absurdly high guess imho. Sounds like you're talking yourself into getting rid of it? And if your wife has it won't you still be looking at those repairs anyway?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Hey Madison320 has anything broken yet? What all have you replaced on your Mirage so far?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hey Madison320 has anything broken yet? What all have you replaced on your Mirage so far?
    So far tires, brakes, rear axle and the passenger airbag sensor.

My concern is the second 100k not the first. That's when the warranty expires and stuff goes bad.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    3-5k is an absurdly high guess imho. Sounds like you're talking yourself into getting rid of it? And if your wife has it won't you still be looking at those repairs anyway?
    My plan from the start was to give my wife the Mirage at 100K and get another car, probably another Mirage. I'm just having second thoughts on getting another Mirage.

Don't forget the option of inexpensive used parts. Maybe not practical for the shocks, but certainly for the AC components and that sensor.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Don't forget the option of inexpensive used parts. Maybe not practical for the shocks, but certainly for the AC components and that sensor.
    That could be but since I don't do the work myself it usually seems more sensible to get a new part when you have to pay for the labor.

I guess with the Mirage you'd be forced to go with used parts. So any additional cost compared to a Yaris would be mainly in additional repairs from faulty used parts. Maybe not that big of a deal. I have almost 2 years to decide.

One thing I really like about the Mirage is all the space under the hood. It seems easy to work on. It's pretty amazing considering there's an engine and a transmission both in that little space.
    Last edited by Madison320; 06-07-2017 at 07:20 PM.

Have you had problems with your starter grinding? That'd be the only problem I'd be worried about in the 14 with a cvt. Otherwise there aren't a ton of mechanical changes all from 14-17. I've got a 15' mirage at work here that is getting close to 200000 miles with no problems. These cars don't have much to go wrong with them compared to some other makes.
    And yeah some parts from the dealer are expensive but odd parts that aren't expected to get damaged usually are...Wasn't your seat sensor damaged by a wet dog? That could happen to any car and I'd just go buy a used seat for $1-200. A/c condenser is $120Cad on Rockauto so much cheaper for you. I haven't seen a compressor fail yet but I'd just get a used one. But I agree parts can get pricey if they're not available aftermarket but i guess that's what happens when a car isn't very popular and there's not a huge demand for parts.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-07-2017),Madison320 (06-07-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Have you had problems with your starter grinding? That'd be the only problem I'd be worried about in the 14 with a cvt. Otherwise there aren't a ton of mechanical changes all from 14-17. I've got a 15' mirage at work here that is getting close to 200000 miles with no problems. These cars don't have much to go wrong with them compared to some other makes.
    And yeah some parts from the dealer are expensive but odd parts that aren't expected to get damaged usually are...Wasn't your seat sensor damaged by a wet dog? That could happen to any car and I'd just go buy a used seat for $1-200. A/c condenser is $120Cad on Rockauto so much cheaper for you. I haven't seen a compressor fail yet but I'd just get a used one. But I agree parts can get pricey if they're not available aftermarket but i guess that's what happens when a car isn't very popular and there's not a huge demand for parts.
    Good points.

I was figuring maybe an average of one big repair a year from 100k-200k. Like a water pump, ac compressor, timing chain, that type of thing. Assuming new parts that would easily be a couple grand more in repair costs compared to a Yaris. 3-5k was probably too high. It's just a little unnerving when you go online to rockauto.com under Yaris and see like 15 choices for shocks, in all these different categories (economy, performance, premium, etc) and then you look under Mirage and there's nothing! I've never gone the used part route so that's part of the problem. Actually I'm adjusting my whole car repair mentality. I used to just take it to the same mechanic (not a dealer) and let him fix it. But that as getting too expensive. Now I take a more active role and try to diagnose the problem, order the part and then shop around for someone to install it.

Got a couple of these to avoid future seat problems.

"BarksBar Pet Front Seat Cover for Cars"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yeah I hear you there. I'd be a little concerned about a having problems with a cheap econo car as well. But from what I've myself (for 2015's and 2017's) these are pretty reliable and trouble free. Hopefully there are more aftermarket parts for these cars in the near future.
    Even looking up used parts can be somewhat a pain unless you find an intelligent counter person willing to help or a pick a part yard. Wreckers usually aren't able to interchange anything cause the programs they use doesn't include the mirage for some reason. I tried last week at a friends auto wrecker which uses on Car-part.com. You can look up parts but it just gives a generic part number and you have to figure out what fits on your own or try to use the interchange on rockauto. If you look up cv axle it won't give you the option of cvt or mt. Or if you look up transmission it doesn't give you an option. I tried to explain this to someone on this forum once before but I don't think I got my point across.
    I'm kinda surprised that they don't have a water pump available aftermarket yet, I'm not able to get rear drums either. But I haven't needed either of those yet. The Mirage's are holding together much better than the 1- 14' spark we had, that thing was a piece of crap from the get go.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)