Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bittersweet upgrade, let me tell you about my 2017 Mirage G4.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I'm curious to know what brought you here to the forum. Have you driven a Mirage yet? Are you considering a used 2014/2015 or are you leaning toward a 2017?

Again, welcome!
    Hey Eggman, thanks for the welcome! I'm a longtime lurker who is attracted to inexpensive, reliable little cars. I'll be replacing my family's second car sometime in the next few years, and the Mirage has been on my radar for a while as one of the best choices in the "cheap" category. :-)

I've read and/or watched pretty much all the reviews out there for the Mirage and G4, and I know the 2017 hatchback represents a handling upgrade from the 2014-15 models, but I'm curious whether the G4 is a further upgrade yet from the hatchback. From what I understand, the only real difference between the two is the longer wheelbase, so I imagine they offer a pretty similar driving experience. I have yet to test drive either, though.

Also, I have to say that this is a great forum--very active considering it's a low-volume car from a low-volume manufacturer (in the USA, anyway).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Sounds like you are pretty well familiar with the Mirage and it's place in the current automotive landscape. I don't think you'd go wrong with either the hatch or sedan. Drive one and see for yourself.

After all, you're talking to the peanut gallery here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

I think the G4 effectively has more sound insulation (due to the rear suspension & wheel wells being in the trunk), so they're quieter on the road. But aside from that they should be mechanically identical to the hatchback. Which means a bit more power, less drivetrain NVH, improved steering, handling & brakes than the 2014/15.

You could confirm with IchabodCrane - he traded his 2014 or 14 for a 17. (Though he's annoyed at Mitsu currently for not helping track down an exhaust system resonance/vibration).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That growl is a sound I happen to like. It is very similar to a 1989 Metro we had years ago, as well as a 1986 Suzuki Samurai. You can probably get the picture that we enjoy buying the smallest and cheapest car that will get the job done...then driving the wheels off.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gone2Alpine For This Useful Post:

inuvik (06-11-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gone2Alpine View Post
    That growl is a sound I happen to like. It is very similar to a 1989 Metro we had years ago, as well as a 1986 Suzuki Samurai. You can probably get the picture that we enjoy buying the smallest and cheapest car that will get the job done...then driving the wheels off.
    I'm a big fan of the noise my '15 mirage made. Not just the engine, the transmission, even the clutch cable chimed in. I haven't really had to really open the G4 up, but the sound is still definitely there.

I haven't driven a '17 hatch, but just pushing on the bumper, it's stiffer than my '15 was before I swapped the springs. I don't know if I'll do the same [swap rear springs] to the G4, I'll wait to see if the rear axle stays in alignment before I go adding springs to it.

Also, this time around, when the tires wear out, I'm going to get some 15" or 16" wheels for the car, since there is a greater selection of tires, even LRR tires, in those rim sizes. I'll just have to figure out what wheel would look good on a dark purple car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker1980 View Post
    I'll just have to figure out what wheel would look good on a dark purple car.
    Black.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by mainertodd View Post
    Question for those of you who own (or have tested) the 2014-15 model and the 2017 hatchback model: are the improvements Tinker mentions--lack of body roll, improved steering, more sound isolation--true of both the hatchback and the G4? In other words, if Tinker had bought another hatchback, would he have found the same improvements? I know the G4 has a longer wheelbase and more back seat space, but does it also feel more refined than the hatchback?
    I don't drive these cars enough to notice much differences between the 15 and 17' hatch. The power steering is a little "better" and the suspension is noticeably stiffer on the 17's though. Front rotors are slightly larger in diameter but use the same size pads. Mechanically they appear identical (except for the exhaust manifold/front converter) and just as reliable. I don't know about sound insulation differences. There isn't much there to begin with. The 17's have an extra shift position for the cvt's. I haven't driven or looked at a g4.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Mirage G4 SE
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I owned a 2015 Mirage ES CVT with Navigation for 2 years and absolutely loved the car. I had the appearance package, chrome package, oem center arm rest, scuff plates, bodyside moldings, navigation and back up camera, oem shift knob and more. When they came out with the 2017 Mirage GT I wanted it and then I saw the 2017 G4 SE in Wine Red. I test drove the 2017 Mirage GT and Mirage G4 SE and the G4 rode a little smoother and was a tad more quiet but the hatch gt felt more nimble. Now compared to my 2015 my G4 SE is way quieter, more refined, smoother and quieter at idle, less clunking from shocks over bumps, less noise from rear due to trunk instead of hatch, engine has a smoother sound while running with a slight hum sound, muffler is quieter and due to the extra weight of the G4 it feels a little more stable at highway speed. But due to the extra weight in the G4 it is 1.5 sec slower to 60 then my 2015 was even though it has 78 hrsp vs my 2015s 74 hrsp. The rear seat is huge compared to the hatch even though the hatch has good room in the back seat. The trunk is massive in the G4 compared to the hatch. Also the seat material in the 2017 is more stuffed and more premium feeling. The G4 has like a striped pattern where the Hatch GT had like a square check patter but felt the same. I have the light gray interior with the wine red exterior and it is really sharp. The wine red changes colors from Plum, Burgandy to a Magenta depending on lighting its neat. The light gray seat material really dresses up the interior making it classy looking but be warned it is very light in color almost ceramic color, I used scotchgaurd on mine. Also the interior in the 2017s feels more premium with all the piano black trim, updated apple car play android auto unit, heated seats, home link auto dimming rear view mirror, wide angle rear view camera on the G4, larger 15 inch wheels, (2 tone on GT Hatch & Dark Titanium on the G4 SE) updated steering wheel looks really premium in upper trims with piano trim and chrome, also the drivers window button lights up really good now, semi high contrast gauge cluster is more premium looking, also the center rear arm rest with cup holders in the G4 is really thick and comfy.

I got the 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage G4 SE with optional rear spoiler. After I purchased it I added more oem mitsubishi accessories such as: color keyed bodyside moldings, center arm rest, all weather mitsubishi floor mats, weather tech floor liners, mitsubishi carpeted cargo mat, mitsubishi chrome exhaust tip, chrome meter cluster garnish, mitsubishi oem piano black interior trim kit for driver and passenger air vent surrounds and for the center console around gear shift, cup holders, storage bin and more, mitsubishi valve stemp caps, mitsubishi license plate frames, mitsubishi rain guards and thats about it. I go on the 26th to have the windows tinted at 20%. My G4 SE stickered for $18,115.00 and after the mitsubishi rebate, loyalty cash and dealer discount I paid $12,714.00 for the top trim G4! Amazing! So any question just hit me up!

Overall ai am very happy with my

Quote Originally Posted by mainertodd View Post
    Question for those of you who own (or have tested) the 2014-15 model and the 2017 hatchback model: are the improvements Tinker mentions--lack of body roll, improved steering, more sound isolation--true of both the hatchback and the G4? In other words, if Tinker had bought another hatchback, would he have found the same improvements? I know the G4 has a longer wheelbase and more back seat space, but does it also feel more refined than the hatchback?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirage ES Navi For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-14-2017)

Mirage ES Navi: you should add a garage page for your G4.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Any difference, lower?, fuel economy compared the the Hatch?

To get a Stick you need to stay below the SE Trim Right?