Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Factory Driving/Fog Lamp Install - DIY

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Factory Driving/Fog Lamp Install - DIY

If you have a base model with no driving/fog lamps and come across a set you want to install yourself, then read on. Jack the front of the car up and safely place on jackstands. Now you can turn the front wheels side to side for access to the inner fender liners...............

Completely remove both inner fender/wheel well liners to do this. You can't just remove some clips and pull it back. There are a lot of little clips where you pull the center of the clip outwards about halfway and then they pry the entire clip out. There are clips all the way around the wheel well and 4 under the car along with a 12MM bolt under the bumper that needs to come out................

The wiring harness for the lights are already there. The driver's side harness is taped just to the right and above the fog lamp mounting area. The passenger side harness is taped to the washer fluid bottle. To remove the lamp cutouts from the bumper, I used a pair of side cutters to cut the 5 tabs off close to the disk as possible so not to damage the bumper..............

After the disk is removed, very carefully take a razor blade, hobby knife, or other sharp blade and cut those tabs flush and take your time doing this because the lamps are set back a few millimeters from the housing and a sloppy cut job will show............

Now you screw the lamps into the bumper that already has the mounting area there. If you are wiring to a separate switch now is the time to run the new wiring or simply have your factory fog lamp switch activated by the local dealer.............

Put the inner fenders back on and enjoy the new lamps..........

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

Bralexander (07-17-2020),Cobrajet (06-14-2017),Daox (06-13-2017),Eggman (06-13-2017),ISP_guy (06-14-2017),Top_Fuel (06-13-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Thanks for the write-up. I always assumed there was some sort of programming that needed to happen to enable the multi-function switch to turn these on. I didn't realize this was a plug-n-play deal. Cool!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Great write-up, Mullet!

It should be noted that this installation works for 2017 models and some 2015 models. But 2014 and early 2015 DE models didn't come with the fog light switch on the turn signal stalk as standard equipment, so this needs to be swapped out in order to make the OEM system work.

This is why the '14-'15 fog light kit is so much more expensive than the one for '17...it includes the new turn signal switch.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Daox (06-14-2017),Remy (06-14-2017),Top_Fuel (06-14-2017)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    i installed mine today however is thier something to make them work?
    i used the factory connectors because i bought some factory used ones.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by markandamber11 View Post
    i installed mine today however is thier something to make them work?
    i used the factory connectors because i bought some factory used ones.
    You have to take the car to the dealership and have the fog light function activated in the ETACS system.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    After nearly a year of futzing around, waiting for a version of ETACS Decoder (Version 5.3.8.2) that would actualy work on my 2017 Mirage ES, I was finally, today, able to activate the fog light function in ETACS. I verified it was working by turning on the fog light switch and observing the indicator on the instrument panel...IT WORKS!!!

Now I just need to get the relay and, of course, the fog lights.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to stecoop For This Useful Post:

inuvik (10-15-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I have a 2019 ES that I want to put fog lights in. Do you have a pic of what your fogs looked like before install? It seems that late-model hatchbacks require a different lamp than sedans and earlier hatches, making it much more difficult to find than it should be. Thanks.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by robb View Post
    I have a 2019 ES that I want to put fog lights in. Do you have a pic of what your fogs looked like before install? It seems that late-model hatchbacks require a different lamp than sedans and earlier hatches, making it much more difficult to find than it should be. Thanks.
    Name:  $_1.JPG
Views: 3182
Size:  24.1 KB

This is what mine looked like; I bought these on E-Bay for about $62.00 USD. They came with a bunch of extra wiring and switches and relays that I didn't need, but it was all I could find that was guaranteed to fit my car. They work well and look good.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stecoop View Post
    Name:  $_1.JPG
Views: 3182
Size:  24.1 KB

This is what mine looked like; I bought these on E-Bay for about $62.00 USD. They came with a bunch of extra wiring and switches and relays that I didn't need, but it was all I could find that was guaranteed to fit my car. They work well and look good.
    Thank you so much! That's exactly what I've been looking months for. You have a '17 and as far as I can tell, '17-'19 should be exactly the same.

Again, many, many thanks Stecoop!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    There is no difference in fog lamps for any 14-19 Mirage according to my parts guy and locl wrecker backed this up. MY set from the boneyard cost me $20. I did have to pull them myself.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)